What's new

Growing Kava in Florida

Ricardo Piquant

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Does anybody know a place to get a "real" kava cutting? Does anybody grow kava in Florida? I'm not looking to farm lol, just want a specimen to be able to show. I live in south Florida and it's pretty tropical here. I grow all sorts of tropicals (mango, lychee, jackfruit, dragonfruit, sapodilla, longan, carambola, sugar apple, muscadine, etc) and would love to have a kava plant. Seems they are hard to come by.

Thanks! ! :)

Jerome

Kava Lover
South central or coastal?,

I'm central gulf coast, going to give growing kava a try in the spring. I've had plenty of success with papayas and bananas so I'm assuming kava will do ok, from a temperature standpoint at least.

Keep us updated!

Ricardo Piquant

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
South central or coastal?,

I'm central gulf coast, going to give growing kava a try in the spring. I've had plenty of success with papayas and bananas so I'm assuming kava will do ok, from a temperature standpoint at least.

Keep us updated!
I'm located just north of Miami, about 10 min drive from the beach. I've never had a problem with the cold hurting my other plants. The cold snaps are so brief here. Although I have covered some with sheets for protection on a few occasion.

That site logees is petty darn cool. Lots of unusual plants and a very interesting history!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Plants arrived today! I am transferring them to pots until they get bigger. I'll post pictures soon
If you get kava to grow without issue in Florida... I'm sure there are people willing to plant a few once they see how much they can sell the powder for. I'm really interested in how this turns out for you.

Jerome

Kava Lover
If you get kava to grow without issue in Florida... I'm sure there are people willing to plant a few once they see how much they can sell the powder for. I'm really interested in how this turns out for you.
Yes, if its successful, someone with some agricultural knowledge could do quite well. Problem here, as I'm sure it is in Hawaii, is land is getting expensive! Everyone wants to live in Florida. I read an article the other day talking about how agriculture in Florida is shrinking rapidly and more and more farmers are selling out to big subdivisions.

Jerome

Kava Lover
Yes, if its successful, someone with some agricultural knowledge could do quite well. Problem here, as I'm sure it is in Hawaii, is land is getting expensive! Everyone wants to live in Florida. I read an article the other day talking about how agriculture in Florida is shrinking rapidly and more and more farmers are selling out to big subdivisions.
As a kid, I explored the local orange groves throughout my neighborhood, now their aren't orange groves in my county.