What's new

Kava Fact of the Day HAM-A: Hamilton Anxiety Rating Scale.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Kava fact of the day: Hamilton Anxiety Rating Scale (HAMA)

This one’s short, but hopefully will help in understanding some of the kava research in relation to anxiety. In regards to kava and anxiety, a proper way to measure a participants anxiety levels was needed. Many kava studies employed the use of a scale known as HAM-A or the “Hamilton Anxiety Rating Scale”. This scale consists of 14 items and each is defined by a series of symptoms. It measures both psychic anxiety or mental agitation and psychological stress, and somatic anxiety, or physical complaints related to anxiety. This test requires 10-15 minutes to complete and is acceptable for adults, adolescents and children. Each item is scored from a 0-4 range, and counted. Total range of the results are from 0-56. Less than 17 indicates mild severity, 18-24 indicates mild to moderate severity, and 25-30 indicate moderate to severe. These tests are used in kava research to assess the severity of symptoms of anxiety.

appendix2.jpg

Hamilton, M. (1959). The assessment of anxiety states by rating. British Journal of Medical Psychology, 32(1), 50–55. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8341.1959.tb00467.x

RG902

Kava Enthusiast
Very interesting. Thanks! Always enjoying my time on the Kava Forums and learning new things! Bula to you!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Very interesting. Thanks! Always enjoying my time on the Kava Forums and learning new things! Bula to you!
So glad to hear that!

I'm doing my best to go through and post about things we've discussed over the years except this time with actual science behind them.

RG902

Kava Enthusiast
It’s all awesome man. Even though I haven’t been able to jump on the zoom chats in a while, I still visit the site every day and keep up to date on what’s new. I love it.