What's new

Powdered Kava Review Hanakapi Ai - Medium Grind

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
Ok so as soon as Chris from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava let us all know about his newly harvested Hanakapi' ai (hair like lateral roots) I knew I had to get some! Didn't want to wait till it was gone, so ordered as soon as it went up on his site :)
I waited with anticipation as we all talked about this stuff all week long! hehe...(think most of us were)
Mine finally came while I was at work! My girlfriend texted me and said your packages are here :) Needless to say I couldn't get out of work fast enough! So once I got home I saw she had opened up everything and the Hanakapi' ai bag was sitting on the table, staring back at me in that Gold bag! Ok on with the review!

Prep:
I used 2 table spoons, (heaping) and used 2 cups of very cold spring water...the root powder went into a muslin type bag and was kneaded in the water for about 10 minutes, at which point the water was very dark...almost mysterious looking hehe :)
Did a final straining but got practically nothing back from final strain, the bags I used do a damn good job for the price!

Smell:
The smell of this stuff in the bag reminded me of N@H stone' probably because it's (lateral roots) as well idk..but it had a nice strong peppery smell to it, exotic like!

Taste/Bitterness:
So the taste I thought was going to scare me away but after trying it, it's not bad at all! I think I read it had a strong taste somewhere, and it does..
but its soo smooth you almost don't even get the taste! This stuff is like silk, goes down so easy and smooth! Taste is good for it being kava!
It also was pretty bitter but not to much so, after each shell your mouth and lips stay numb until you take your next shell..which means your mouth stays numb for many hours!

Effects:
Here's the good part! This is what we all wait for in a review :)
The effects of the Hanakapi' ai hair roots were noticeable just 10 minutes after downing my first shell...
I did just 3 oz shells all night till it was gone, with 10-15 minute breaks in between as to "pace myself" lol,
I was feeling loose and nice by the time I went to down my second shell, still light effects though..just starting out!
By the time I got up again 10-15 minutes later to do another shell, I was like DAMNnnnn.......
My girlfriend new I was having a good time, she could tell I was in great spirits and thoroughly enjoying myself! For the first hour she watched her shows while I had my cell phone in hand, doing nothing but chatting on this forum with everyone for theHanakapi' ai/Kava party! :)
Around the 1 hour mark and atleast 4-5 small shells in I was blown away! I have had great effects before from a number of different vendors..
But nothing like this, I have never been Krunked before and not entirely sure if I was or wasen't, lol but man was I feeling on top of the world!
Nothing could have ruined my night, I was so at peace, soo relaxed...so numb in my body and mind that I was practically floating every time I
got up to do something! Could not stop smiling...I was thinking this kava was just going to be a heavy kava that beat my ass and left me sleeping like a baby and I was soo wrong...
This stuff had everything going for it, it had every effects I could dream up all into one...but blended together so perfectly that straight and utter BLISS is all I could say....
I used the word "MAGICAL" last night a few times I think, and if there was ever a kava with magical effects, this is it!
After 2 hours, I had finally finished my kava :) By then I was very buzzed! All over...my body was heavy but also free to move fast and freely with ease, I certainly felt slightly intoxicated...but with only pleasurable effects! I wasn't stumbling though...more like walking on a cloud! haha...
After 4 hours I was like holy crap, I am still feeling this pretty strongly! It was just such a pure and relaxed feeling it was hard to put into words!
Around the 5th hour my girl wanted to wind the night down with a little herb, and I said what the heck..
The 2 chemicals meshed together amazingly and after another hour I was laying in bed talking..20 minutes later, sleep...

Next day effects:
I woke up feeling great! Kinda with that energy from coming back from doing something you don't do very often.. like mushrooms, the next day you have like a glow..same thing here, I felt at peace, still relaxed and pain free...no cloudy head, no hangover at all...nothing!

Overall:
This has got to be the first kava session that has knocked my socks off! I have felt great before, don't get me wrong but nothing was
truly able to match or even come close to this Hanakapi' ai...the effects and the experience it gave me was just magical and I was left
feeling like I finally understand what kava has to offer me...
This stuff isn't something I would do in the mornings unless your day was free of course, but as a late afternoon or night kava it is perfect!
It is a nice, relaxing (specialty) kava to use when you want to feel something different, or go far past the normal kava experience lol..
I feel 1 tablespoon with 1 cup water and pounded might have been plenty, or maybe to much too quickly lol..this stuff is strong!
I am very glad I paced myself and didn't go crazy because, whatever I did it was just perfect and nothing could have made it any better...
If you didn't get a chance to purchase some of this, find a way man! haha! This isn't something you will find everyday, it's more a special treat to all the kava lovers of the world :) As I said last night...Chris hit it out of the park with this stuff!

K

Kava Steve

first day I did 4tbs to 2 cups water and could definitely of done a second batch but wanted to take it easy.... Friday I mixed up 1 cup to 22 ounces water... This made 6 shells and 3 put me in an awake dreamland....

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks guys :)
I usually use around 2-3 max tablespoons..or 2-3 tsps for instants or micro's...
But this stuff although very strong, is just so smooth and forgiving that you can get away with using about your normal dose of kava, I always go easy with a new type of kava though!
This stuff is strong, strong strong...but oh soo smooth! Everyone that loves kava should get
there hands on some to try it out, magical is the easiest way for me to describe it...:)

Last edited:

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks guys! :)
Not sure how long it will last and its so special of a kava, not sure when we will have some of this root hair even available again...
But you certainly wont be dissapointed one bit! Amazzzing stuff! :)

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
That was a great review, thanks so much. I am so glad that you liked this kava. I always knew about this kava and what it could do so when I kept hearing about people that wanted to get tudei kava for what ever reasons I said to myself, I better get this kava out there, it does what the tudei kava does but better and without the unwanted effects of the tudei kava. I brought this kava to the market to do head to head battle with any tudei kava and it looks like it worked. (y) I know from my 25+ years of experience with kava that you don't need tudei, 100% pure noble kava's can do what ever tudei can but better. I have to agree though it is magical, I remember the first time I tried it, I had some with my brother in law and we were both amazed, we thought it was too good to be true so we tried it again the next night and the next night and we got the same great results. This is truly Gourmet Hawaiian kava, it is only the small mature root hairs, no stump or corm, just the fine lateral roots. :hungry:
Aloha.

Chris

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
Awesome :)
I will probably save this kava for the weekends which would be perfect for that , because the effects are strong, and last a looooong time!
The effects are not as fast to take hold as some other cultivars but what it does have makes up for it, lol..
Theres probably not to many strains that could compete with this as a "weekend" kava actually, I had the time of my life last week...if I remeber right a few times I was jumping around like a kid again! once the heady effects started to calm down the peace and relaxation and heavy effects took hold, it was just perfect :)

verticity

I'm interested in things
...This is truly Gourmet Hawaiian kava, it is only the small mature root hairs, no stump or corm, just the fine lateral roots.
Just curious:
- Are all the lateral roots of this plant fine and hair-like? Or are there some thicker lateral roots you don't use?
- What do you do with the stump/roots that you don't use?

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
I thought I remeber seeing in a post somewhere that chris was talking about making an blend of a few different cultivars.. and putting it up for sale on his site?

verticity

I'm interested in things
I thought I remeber seeing in a post somewhere that chris was talking about making an blend of a few different cultivars.. and putting it up for sale on his site?
There was his "hurricane blend" or something a while ago.. like odds and sods that got uprooted during a storm..

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
No after announcing the new root hair kava. He mentioned using the Hanakapi'ai
bigger roots and blending it with something else? Not entirely sure but I do remeber reading it lol...