What's new

Hand dermo

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Hello! Avid drinker of Kava. I consider it sacred. In this year so far I taught myself how to make traditional prep and I have refreshed my ideas on kava, as well as myself, and some other things like conservation.

My hands are cracking and bleeding at every part where I bend my hand.

Everyone suggested petroleum based vaseline at first, and I found the best technique is to keep my hands out of the dishwater at work as much as I can and use coconut oil on my hands before brewing a cup of kava. Will this get worse if I still have a cup of kava to relax my mind and muscles at the end of the night? Gotta run, thank you!

Edit: I don't use bleach unless I have gloves on, and the dishsoap does contain 'sodium laureth sulfate' but I think it's a combination of consistent wetness, bending joints, soap/chem[SLS] and kava contributes a little bit, but not 100%, I never got this from just kava, and I am making sure to only buy Noble strains.

Last edited:

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I get the exact same issue, especially in dry weather. Hand soap can be worse than some dish soaps. I apply O'keefes "working hands" cream before bed (But the foot cream is even more effective if you need the extra punch) That or another medicinal grade cream should work after a few days if you can avoid exposure to certain things. The antibcterial foam soap at my work destroys my hands. I brought my own Dr. Bronner's natural soap to work.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
SLS really irritates my skin too. For skin lotion, I prefer Bag Balm.
I'm allowed to use Bag Balm? The little green tin? I have that, thanks to my Dad, it seemed to help but someone told me to avoid petroleum so I stopped...Hands are worrysome today, thanks for the tip!

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I'm allowed to use Bag Balm? The little green tin? I have that, thanks to my Dad, it seemed to help but someone told me to avoid petroleum so I stopped...Hands are worrysome today, thanks for the tip!
Hand dermo sucks the nether regions. Especially on knuckles that constantly split. Best advice is a good lotion and avoiding anything else that dries out your hands like harsh soap, anti-bacterial lotion etc..

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Yes Bag Balm has petroleum jelly in it, same stuff as Vasoline. The other ingredients are lanolin (the stuff that makes sheeps' wool oily) a mild antiseptic, and a weird smell.

But please don't use Bag Balm if you've got a reason to be avoiding petroleum jelly. Maybe try coconut oil instead.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I used gloves at work today and it gave me my confidence back because of how much it helped. I will always use gloves for washing dishes now, at home too. Thank you everyone! I'm unsure if my drinking a cup of Kava each day is part of why my hands dried out, so I will update in time if I can find a conclusion on that.

MsArk

I used gloves at work today and it gave me my confidence back because of how much it helped. I will always use gloves for washing dishes now, at home too. Thank you everyone! I'm unsure if my drinking a cup of Kava each day is part of why my hands dried out, so I will update in time if I can find a conclusion on that.
I’ve recently noticed cracking and dryness in my hands also. Using CeraVe SA lotion, found at any Walgreens, has helped me tremendously.