What's new

Hawaiian Mahakea - coarse grind, no success...

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
hmm... how coarse? like the old boroguru grind?

ive never had hkc kava before, but personally i would drink some and see if it has any effect

ive mixed some different kavas before that look totally different than other kavas

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
Woah, that's like tree bark. Mahakea was my first kava, but it wasn't that coarse then. It also wasn't very effective for me.

odys1i

Kava Enthusiast
What I would do with this Mahakea is soak it in warm water for about half an hour (NOT boiling) and then put that bad boy in a high speed blender for about 5 minutes or so. maybe even strain off the liquid and blend it twice & then squueeeeeze out your 'Awa. I saw this post hoping to see Mahakea back on hawaiiankavacenter's site but only saw tuday & that confounded spray product.

kl.Jerome

Kava Curious
Agree with odsy1i.  Soak it in warm water, or even over night.  Then grind it in as little water as possible without burning out a motor to make a thick paste.  Then fill strainer bag and rinse with warm water.  Chunky kava works well if you've got the right hardware.

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
Deleted User, where did you get it from, could it be too old and dried out? i havent seen that strain on their site in a while

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
it kinda does look like wood chips, maybe they were shopping for garden supplies at the same time and mixed up your shipment

try the blender, im sure it will work

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
That looks to me like someone filtered out the finer stuff and sold you the leftovers. Ive seen kava like that before sold in a local health shop. It was ridiculously overpriced too. Whats the verdict, did you have any luck with it?

odys1i

Kava Enthusiast
It would be so sad to lose those Hawaiian cultivars. I mean there are only so many Vanuatu Boruga's and Fiji Waka's one can have before one starts to want more variety...

Was a time when Hawaiian Kava Center always had atleast 4 or 5 cultivars in stock not including Tuday.