What's new

Heads up on Eye Problems that may or may not be associated with Kava Use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Intense

Kava Enthusiast
I too suffer from frequent styes (3x / year). Here is my latest strategy to prevent.
  • Daily cleaning with baby shampoo - using a clean wash cloth.
  • Run a humidifier in my bedroom at night
  • Use lubricating eye drops daily and when especially dry I use GenTeal lubricant eye ointment at night.
  • I take Cod Liver oil daily since it contains vitamin A
As soon as I feel a stye forming I will apply a warm compress. I use a microwaveable eye pack to keep the heat up longer. I will also apply Raspberry tea bags with the compress. I also use antibiotic drops at this point.

blindy107

Kava Lover
@ShannyinSobriety holy shit. I never even thought to link the two things. I just noticed I've been gettin more styes lately as well. They seem to be pretty minor compared to ones I've had years ago pre-kava. Just little soreness nothing visible on lid. Thanks for sharing! That goes for everyone!

Lougrog

Kava Curious
I'm a daily kava drinker for about one month at a time, with two weeks in between each month. Not planned, just kind of how pay and laziness plays out. I notice that near the end of my month of kava usage my eyes will be very red and dry in the morning, making me constantly blink and squint like a stoner in my morning meetings at work. I found that visine about two times a day keeps me from rubbing them and therefore keeps the styes away. The dryness usually goes away within 1-2 days without kava.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
This may have finally caught up to me, although, like the rest of you, I can't really prove whether or not it's kava or coincidence. I'm leaning toward kava since I'm just at the end of a back to back full-body dermo run and the kava dermopathy ~ Sebaceous gland link has already been theorized in some studies.

I originally thought it was just soreness due to my eyes being dry(from kava), but now I can see it in the mirror, one eye has a puffy irritated look on the bottom eyelid. The soreness is more noticeable during a blink and it's progressively getting more noticeable.

I'm not prone to eye problems and as a long time regular kava drinker, this is the 1st time I've had it. Overall, I've only had dermopathy effect the dryness of my eyes 2 or 3 times...but it never went beyond dryness+seepiness.

I guess I need to start paying more attention to cleaning out morning eye-gunk that may have dried around the lashes and begin taking fish oil (as suggested in this thread) :wideyed: ...hopefully it starts clearing up without a Dr. visit.

2Intense

Kava Enthusiast
Shakas, I have been dealing with reoccurring eye styes for 3 years and I am convinced that is linked to my kava consumption. If you decide to see a doc my advice is to skip your primary, and go straight to an Ophthalmologist. The primary will give you an antibiotic drop and tell you to apply warm compresses. Those are both fine, but the eye doc has the ability to drain the the blockage if necessary and also has steroid drops in the tool bag.

Here's my current strategy for preventing styes
  • No more daily consumption:bored: - every 3rd or 4th day. Anticipation makes it sweeter!:D
  • Daily eye lid cleaning. Soft clean cloth and baby shampoo while in shower.
  • Avoid touching eyes
  • Lube drops...careful now!
  • Carson's Cod Oil...old school. It also provides A & D3. I have no concern of getting too much A - in fact it is crucial to eye health, right? Currently, I am taking Vitacost's Norwegian Cod Liver Oil.
All the best - I know how bad those things suck!...This too will pass my friend!

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
A couple of months ago I reported that I felt pressure in my eyes after drinking Kava for a couple of weeks. I went to an optometrist and had them looked at and tested for glaucoma, and everything checked out. I still get this occasionally and perhaps it is related to the sebaceous glands.
I actually have glaucoma, and so far kava drinking has not increased my ocular pressure. I recently went to my ophthalmologist about a stye, but I think its because I was putting amlactin on my eyelids. A cuple of days of hot compresses got rid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.