What's new

Hello from another newbie.

Hello all. Another newbie here. .
Familiar story I'm sure. Anxiety and depression. I was being prescribed Xanax, and boy do I love that stuff. But for obvious reasons I can't keep taking it. Haven't had any for years now. I find myself drinking a bit more. Not excessively, but I realise I'm doing it for the effect, not the enjoyment.

Tried Kava for the first time tonight. I bought one of those ball strainers with a shaker, and some Waka Kava powder? Had two 3/4 "balls".

Bit disappointed that other than a numb tongue, I've felt nothing. Do I need to do something else? Will if just take multiple "sessions"? Thanks for your help.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Familiar story I'm sure. Anxiety and depression. I was being prescribed Xanax, and boy do I love that stuff. But for obvious reasons I can't keep taking it. Haven't had any for years now. I find myself drinking a bit more. Not excessively, but I realise I'm doing it for the effect, not the enjoyment.

Tried Kava for the first time tonight. I bought one of those ball strainers with a shaker, and some Waka Kava powder? Had two 3/4 "balls".

Bit disappointed that other than a numb tongue, I've felt nothing. Do I need to do something else? Will if just take multiple "sessions"? Thanks for your help.
Welcome!!

It very well may take multiple sessions of getting after it to start feeling it. This is known as the phenomenon of "initial tolerance". There really is not a very good explanation as to why some people see this, and others don't, but it seems to be understood among many kava drinkers that first timers need a big dose to feel it.

faldho

Kava Curious
welcome!
When i was new i didn't feel anything at first too. What i did was drink a portion everyday until I got past the tolerance, it took me about 9 days and I feel it every time now!
It's definitely worth it but the problem is you may have to buy another bag of kava by the time it starts working and some people may give up.
Push through and you will be rewarded! ::chugger::

Valyn

Kava Curious

I was using kava for about one or two weeks and felt nothing despite using large amounts, and then while sitting on the toilet I began feeling this wavering, drunken state and stood up with this benzo mixed with weed high and went for a hike for about an hour.

I would also suggest not using a lot of powder to get more effects and take it slow. Also, there are a lot of different kinds that might work better for you whether you want heady or heavy but you might already know that.

Thanks so much for all the responses. Smashed 3 more "shells" in quick succession tonight. We'll see if that does anything. If not, I'll try again tomorrow. I'm prepared to give it a good go before giving up. But so far, nothing. Do people ever find it just doesn't work for them? What alternatives are there if it doesn't?

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
Thanks so much for all the responses. Smashed 3 more "shells" in quick succession tonight. We'll see if that does anything. If not, I'll try again tomorrow. I'm prepared to give it a good go before giving up. But so far, nothing. Do people ever find it just doesn't work for them? What alternatives are there if it doesn't?
If you're still using an aluball, make sure that you are not putting in more than 2 tbsps. If you overfill the ball, you'll get a lot less kavalactones. Good luck!

Just an update. Got down "Melo Melo" Kava. Definitely has an effect. I start off feeling quite drunk. But this subsides to a kind of "heavy" feeling, where I enjoy listening to music, and relaxing. Good stuff.