What's new

Kava Research Help me compile a list of kava papers

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I would think the logical thing to do is for any imbedded content is to explicitly state it's source and probably a link to the original source would be good policy.

verticity

I'm interested in things
The thing is Pub Med mostly just has abstracts. If you want to read the full article you usually have to buy it from the publisher. So linking to PubMed, or even copying the abstracts is probably harmless. I agree that government funded research (and things like standards and such--I'm looking at you ISO!) should be freely available. Unfortunately, it is not, and I would hate to see Kava Forums get into legal trouble for hosting copyrighted material.

verticity

I'm interested in things
The murky part is content obtained from pirated content. But how does a person know it was pirated in the first place?
That is not murky at all. Also, content that is legally purchased by someone can't be shared with everyone on the internet if it is copyrighted.

Perhaps the thing to do is casually mention that @Henry and @Deleted User have a lot of these papers, legally purchased, or obtained through a university library, legally. If you are are interested, you could ask them to discuss a paper you are interested in with you...

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
That is not murky at all. Also, content that is legally purchased by someone can't be shared with everyone on the internet if it is copyrighted.

Perhaps the thing to do is casually mention that @Henry and @Deleted User have a lot of these papers, legally purchased, or obtained through a university library, legally. If you are are interested, you could ask them to discuss a paper you are interested in with you...
Sorry I'm not sure I understand. My question was about imbedding content in our site from other sites that have the content online already and available to the public. How would I know if their content met all copyright rules for every country?

verticity

I'm interested in things
Sorry I'm not sure I understand. My question was about imbedding content in our site from other sites that have the content online already and available to the public. How would I know if their content met all copyright rules for every country?
If the content is a full paper that resides on a server in China or Russia: tread lightly. Abstracts from PubMed should be fine. I don't know how PubMed feels about using iframes to scrape their stuff, but copying the text of the abstracts I believe would be OK. Sometimes web sites get annoyed when you iframe their stuff. Like if I made a site called VertGoogle that consisted of an iframe with Google in it, Google might have a problem with that.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
If the content is a full paper that resides on a server in China or Russia: tread lightly. Abstracts from PubMed should be fine. I don't know how PubMed feels about using iframes to scrape their stuff, but copying the text of the abstracts I believe would be OK. Sometimes web sites get annoyed when you iframe their stuff. Like if I made a site called VertGoogle that consisted of an iframe with Google in it, Google might have a problem with that.
Well that's the thing, the EU ruling was that it's legal to do that, because by uising a link or an irame you are not physically copying content, just redisplaying it. The thing they discriminated about though is that it must be in the same realm as the original content. So the way I read it, it's not ok to go to a private site and display it publicly without permission. I think probably the ones who would be the most irritated are sites who rely on them viewing all their ad crap while looking at the content. That's why I was suggesting always including a link to their site along side any imbedded content. Some sites actually like that, because it provids their site with even more exposure.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
A friend of mine likes to argue that there should be no patents or copyrights on anything that is publicly funded. If the public paid for it, in whole or in part, the public should own it. If the researcher or scholar doesn't like that, he can refuse public money.

Last edited by a moderator:

verticity

I'm interested in things
Well that's the thing, the EU ruling was that it's legal to do that, because by uising a link or an irame you are not physically copying content, just redisplaying it. The thing they discriminated about though is that it must be in the same realm as the original content. So the way I read it, it's not ok to go to a private site and display it publicly without permission. I think probably the ones who would be the most irritated are sites who rely on them viewing all their ad crap while looking at the content. That's why I was suggesting always including a link to their site along side any imbedded content. Some sites actually like that, because it provids their site with even more exposure.
I am not a lawyer. I am not a paralegal. I am not even a secretary at a law office. I really have no idea what I'm talking about here--I was just expressing concern that the proper precautions be taken, because I read on the internet that the DMCA prescribes the death penalty for people who haven't done anything yet but are thinking about violating copyright laws in the future. (They have like a Minority Report thing for that)

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I am not a lawyer. I am not a paralegal. I am not even a secretary at a law office. I really have no idea what I'm talking about here--I was just expressing concern that the proper precautions be taken, because I read on the internet that the DMCA prescribes the death penalty for people who haven't done anything yet but are thinking about violating copyright laws in the future. (They have like a Minority Report thing for that)
I hear you.....