What's new

Help me find a new Kava if you would be so kind

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
My main Kava has been Tongan Family Reserve from The Kava Roots, and I supplement that with Borongoru from Kalm with Kava usually. I have tried many GWK products including micronized and medium grind versions and I am not a fan and do not find them really enjoyable. I really like the tongan, but its one of the most expensive Kava's i've come across and I'd really like to spend less on a similar type of Kava. Adding on shipping I pay nearly double what I do for a pound of Borongoru from KWK for example.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Sorry, I keep trying them but It's just not for me. Something about the chemotype maybe? Makheka is okay.
Could be the prep? Chris has a very very distinctive grind because of his equipment, although I have found it adapts to most preps. Still, his grinds are distinctly different physically from pretty much all other kavas, I find.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Sorry, I keep trying them but It's just not for me. Something about the chemotype maybe? Makheka is okay.
I think Hawaiian are higher in kavian kavalactone. Have you tried many Fijian kava? I have found 11 year waka and.loa waka extremely enjoyable. Other than Hawaiian I would say finish Fijian is my next favourite. I have only tried a few Tongan kava, but found them lackluster.

D

Deleted User01

Sounds to me like you have gourmet taste on a beer budget. Plus that tie you are wearing. Please do something about the tie. :jawdrop:

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
I think Hawaiian are higher in kavian kavalactone. Have you tried many Fijian kava? I have found 11 year waka and.loa waka extremely enjoyable. Other than Hawaiian I would say finish Fijian is my next favourite. I have only tried a few Tongan kava, but found them lackluster.
I did try the 11 year I actually sold mine, found it very overwhelming. Loa Waka I believe I did try it was okay. I haven't tried some stuff since I really broke reverse tolerance to the degree I have now. Maybe I need to try other stuff again. I have plenty of the Moi and Nene I can try again I guess.

Also my prep is 2 aluballs in shaker bottle with between 1 and 2 tbps each in them, shaken for quite some time i kinda go hard for like 30 seconds then slosh it around for a while, then i do a double wash of that.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Have you tried moi, honokane iki, and hanakapi ai? Those are all pretty strong kavas. I do think ghk kava tends to be a little more unusual in effects vs most Vanuatu, Fiji and Tonga kava on the market, but nonetheless I like most of it a lot and best of all it is consistent and we can be confident that its clean.

A great Tongan to try to would be Pouni Ono. The current batch is 4/5 shells easy

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Hey, @Go Krunk Yourself. We have three Tongan Kavas at the moment. They're all a little spendy but the Akau and Kula aren't much, if any, more than other quality kava. The Private Reserve Leka Hina is truly special, but admittedly quite expensive for a daily drinking product. Let me know if you have any questions.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I've also found that the Hawaiian kava have not been at the same level of strength as they were a couple of years ago but it seems that way with most kava now. Vanuatu Select is usually very good but kind of pricey. Kula is a pretty good for a lower cost tongan with some relaxation.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Honestly if you are looking for something strong just go for some Stone from nakamal home. I remember it used to be considered great strong one that was pricing, but most kava is about the same price as it is now and not as strong.

Palmetto

Thank God!
If you like heavy, then Wow is heavy, but I didn't like at as much as stone personally, which is not as heavy. Kavafied Kava supreme is good Borogu. Can't believe you didn't enjoy the 11 year waka. I might just have some in a few minutes.