What's new

Help please! The best heady kava for the price!?

Hello one and all! Earlier in the month I began drinking kava for the first time, and it has done absolute wonders for my anxiety. I feel like I can function and have a life again. It's near miraculous!
With that being said, I'm about to run out of kava. I've been drinking it fairly heavily. My first two half pound bags I got were Root Of Happiness' Premium Vanuatu, and BKH Borogu.
I enjoy drinking these, and they definitely take my anxiety away, but sometimes they seem to knock me out during the day (when I'm at home, anyway). After some reading, it looks like this may be due to the heavy effects of the kava. Does anyone have a recommendation of a heady kava that will at the same time still allow me to get krunk'd?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hello one and all! Earlier in the month I began drinking kava for the first time, and it has done absolute wonders for my anxiety. I feel like I can function and have a life again. It's near miraculous!
With that being said, I'm about to run out of kava. I've been drinking it fairly heavily. My first two half pound bags I got were Root Of Happiness' Premium Vanuatu, and BKH Borogu.
I enjoy drinking these, and they definitely take my anxiety away, but sometimes they seem to knock me out during the day (when I'm at home, anyway). After some reading, it looks like this may be due to the heavy effects of the kava. Does anyone have a recommendation of a heady kava that will at the same time still allow me to get krunk'd?
Squanch Fijian Waka is my go to. There is nothing more potent from Fiji, imo, KWK has an amazing Pouni Ono too (Tongan), but they are out of med. grind, they have Micro left, if I'm not mistaken. Kava Time also has a Beqa waka that is pretty damn heady. Finally Fu'u from BKH is excellent as well.

You have a lot of good choices :)

Thanks for the replies! Sorry for asking such a bland and probably stereotypical question. I'm just trying to find out what the best kava is going to be for me without breaking the bank.
I've heard a ton of good stuff about GHK Moi (especially the micronized version), but unfortunately it seems quite pricey to me at the moment (not saying you don't get what you pay for). I looked in to KWK Pouni Ono as well, but I also noticed that the medium grind is out of stock.
Is there a difference between medium grind and micronized, quality-wise? I noticed that GHK's Moi is even more expensive micronized. I think I'm going to have to try out the Moi at some point.

Anyway, with that being said, I think I'm going to go with Krunky's suggestion of Squanch Fijian Waka. It looks to have good reviews and a good price! I'll post a follow up on how it turns out!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Thanks for the replies! Sorry for asking such a bland and probably stereotypical question. I'm just trying to find out what the best kava is going to be for me without breaking the bank.
I've heard a ton of good stuff about GHK Moi (especially the micronized version), but unfortunately it seems quite pricey to me at the moment (not saying you don't get what you pay for). I looked in to KWK Pouni Ono as well, but I also noticed that the medium grind is out of stock.
Is there a difference between medium grind and micronized, quality-wise? I noticed that GHK's Moi is even more expensive micronized. I think I'm going to have to try out the Moi at some point.

Anyway, with that being said, I think I'm going to go with Krunky's suggestion of Squanch Fijian Waka. It looks to have good reviews and a good price! I'll post a follow up on how it turns out!
Micronized tends to be more expensive from any vendor followed only by instant kava. I think you made an excellent choice, Joe from Squanch ships extremely fast, you'll likely have your kava by Thursday.

Micronized tends to be more expensive from any vendor followed only by instant kava. I think you made an excellent choice, Joe from Squanch ships extremely fast, you'll likely have your kava by Thursday.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion! I sent a comment with my order saying that I'm still fairly new to kava and that this could end up being my go to in the future. He emailed back and said he's including a small sample of his other kava as well to try. What a guy!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Thanks a lot for the suggestion! I sent a comment with my order saying that I'm still fairly new to kava and that this could end up being my go to in the future. He emailed back and said he's including a small sample of his other kava as well to try. What a guy!
I made a mega Aluball of the Lawena about 10 minutes ago, I think you'll like it as well, it's my daytime kava :)

Kava_Joe

Kava Curious
Any of the Wakas from Kava Time are dynamite! My favorite is their Savusavu mixed 50/50 with their Teveuni Lowena. Luv this stuff. This my every day Kavas. Helps me deal with the daily attempt to dismantle our Democracy.

superspeedkit

Kava Curious
@Krunʞy, I'm curious if you use the Aluball often w the Squanch and how long the ball usually lasts for you. I think I mentioned in another thread I'm hesitant to use it with Squanch bc of the somewhat coarse grind. Maybe I'm too paranoid.
Also, I'll throw in a recommendation for Dua Na Bilo, which you can get on amazon. It was my main kava for a long time and very heady for me. However, other people here have said it has more of a balanced effect for them so they also get some of the bodily relaxation and sleepiness after a while. You just have to figure out which ones hit the sweet spot you're looking for. (y)

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
@Krunʞy, I'm curious if you use the Aluball often w the Squanch and how long the ball usually lasts for you. I think I mentioned in another thread I'm hesitant to use it with Squanch bc of the somewhat coarse grind. Maybe I'm too paranoid.
I use it all the time, probably more than trad. prep, because it's faster. I've had no problems with the Aluball, they might eventually rip, the last set I had lasted 10 months of almost daily use.

PepperyPyrone

I'll have the pyrones with some pepper, please.
I think the Squanch works very well with AluBall, in fact I can get a decent third wash with it. I had 50/50 Squanch Waka and Lawena tonight and it has been very good to me. A chill euphoria with zero sedation. But the minute you decide to sleep, it takes you there. One of my favorites! Great choice.