What's new

Here I am chugging at home for the first time! (Photos enclosed)

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
I have just made 16 ounces of carbonated BKH 11 Yr Waka. I have so far had 8 ounces. I feel quite good. The euphoria is arriving. I have been visiting the kava bar for less than a week. I imagine that I am at least a week away from being able to say that I have broken through any RT that I am experiencing. I am attaching a few photos below this message. I hope that you veterans enjoy seeing a new kava drinker's set up. Perhaps it's like taking your kid fishing for the first time. Please don't cringe at my style of drinking this sacred grog. Salud!

Note to new kava drinkers: I am a new kava drinker too. I am doing this non-traditionally. First of all, I am going micronized and I plan to stick with it. It makes the most sense for my lifestyle. In the photos, you will see a gourd and a coconut, both of which I drink yerba mate from and I do use a metal filter straw. This is my own twist. If you are looking to find out how kava should be consumed, I am the wrong person to learn from!

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
17411_803161249770971_4624956064326319810_n.jpg
This is the entire set up. Blender bottle, CO2 (soda) bottle, 1/8 cup (2 tbsps), East Asian spoon (1 tbsp), double-mesh strainer, metal bombilla (straining straw), calabash gourd, and a half-pound of Bula Kava House 11 Year Waka.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
11136636_803167879770308_8445686620527732913_n.jpg
My gourd was too tippy so I switched to one of my favorite yerba mate vessels. (I have two dozen to choose from.)

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
I got the stand with another one of my glass "gourds" and I got the coconut on ebay. It was a little expensive ($15) but they claim it was from a WWII sailors estate and it's sort of cool.

Attachments

Poivrier

methystified
If I can make a suggestion: don't use a straw and put your lips in contact with the kava. One of my favorite thing in the kava experience is the numbing (y)

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
You make a valid point. I lick my lips a lot to make up for it. I enjoy my straws too much.

If I can make a suggestion: don't use a straw and put your lips in contact with the kava. One of my favorite thing in the kava experience is the numbing (y)

verticity

I'm interested in things
What are those bits in the strainer? Micronized kava shouldn't require straining, that's the whole point of buying it...?
Even though it is micronized, it is not a uniform particle size, but a distribution. There are still some larger particles on the high end of the bell curve. When I tried micronized I had to filter it due to stomach problems, I think for that reason.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Even though it is micronized, it is not a uniform particle size, but a distribution. There are still some larger particles on the high end of the bell curve. When I tried micronized I had to filter it due to stomach problems, I think for that reason.
I don't see why larger particulate matter would cause long-term stomach upset (might set off your gag reflex). I'd assume it's the stuff in the root (insoluble starches and fiber, still presumably present even after the coarse fibers are removed, along with whatever other compounds are present in kava root but not in aqueous extracts)