What's new

Hi All! Love the forum!

I work in a vitamin/supplement department of a national chain (*that isn't whole foods or trader joe's). I'm enjoying the experience and what i have learned thus far. But I realized i need more. I've been reading about kava bars in other cities for years and wondered why no one in my area has ever considered bringing one here. I truly believe starting one in my area would be great. It's great alternative to alcohol and a lot less less dangerous. I have absolutely no experience starting a restaurant or business of any sort but i really wanna do this are kava bars a good idea? I would love feedback to those of who have been to a kava bar and what you really enjoyed about your experience there (besides the kava of course).

D

Deleted User01

FYI, for those thinking of starting a kava bar. It is a hard sell because of the taste. The patrons are expecting to get krunked, so many kava bars spike their kava to make the customer happy. All the negative crap on the internet doesn't help. On the bright side, the future looks a lot better. If Tudei is banned and the FDA feels good about it, some of the negative publicity can be undone.

One more thing, I read this in the business section the other day but they were preaching to the choir in my case. Do not open a restaurant unless you or your partner have a lot of experience in the the restaurant business!! Do not expect to get financing without at least a 30 percent down payment. For a Kava bar, it may be much higher and you may need 100 percent downpayment. lol. Restaurants are a money trap and they require your attention 24/7. I see people go in and out of business everyday. Some retail locations are like revolving doors. You never know what restaurant will pop up in that location. Oh, you make a good brisket, open up a BBQ place. Oh wow, you make good enchiladas, open up a Mexican Place. DON'T.

D

Deleted User01

Jeez Louise, I'm rude today. :eek: I didn't notice that you are new here. Welcome to the Forum @Esoterrific! ::awesomesmiles:: You will make a "terrific" addition to this forum. Sorry 'bout the negative stuff on restaurants but I'm just trying to save you some money. :D:bigmoney:

Jeez Louise, I'm rude today. :eek: I didn't notice that you are new here. Welcome to the Forum @Esoterrific! ::awesomesmiles:: You will make a "terrific" addition to this forum. Sorry 'bout the negative stuff on restaurants but I'm just trying to save you some money. :D:bigmoney:
Haha! No worries. Lol but knowing myself I still might touch the preverbial hot stove if given the right opportunity. Thanks for the welcome and advice!

Actually I work at Sprout's Farmer Market in El Paso, TX....the holistic/alternative medicine movement is FINALLY gaining of serious traction in this area. It's exiciting watching Sprout's business boom and seeing a Whole Foods open next year. Then there are a couple tea/loose herb boutiques that people are really gravitating towards. I was discussing this with a couple of coworkers. One was like go for it college kids might dig it. Then the other said "its a risky idea because resturants typically fail and Kava tastes bitter and i need to make i sure to diversify my selection with kombucha etc. and it might not fail as fast" lol. But I'm thinking I'm 27 with no kids, no wife, or mortgage, and i work in a vitamin department with a pointless degree. So what do i really have to loose besides money? Kava is so fascinating but I'm gonna think about it a little longer before i do anything really rash. I have to gain a solid about a foundation about the plant and the resturant business above all. KAVA KNOWLEDGE IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL which is why I'm so glad i found this forum!!!