What's new

How do you describe kava?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Little slow today so let's stir the pot.

What say you? How do you describe kava to someone that has no idea what kava even is? Where do you start, and what are the highlights that you would include?

Wigman

Kava Enthusiast
I think I'd have a tough time fully answering that question without making some unwelcome comparisons.

D

Deleted User01

You would want to describe some of the effects like some are heady (almost stony, ooops). Some want to make you lay down and relax. They all help you sleep and you wake up with no hangover. No urge to have Kava the next day like Benzos. You can take it or leave it. If they ever smoked dope, you can tell them right away that Kava is not that strong. You will be in your 5 senses but with no worries. You can do your Kava at work and nobody will know except the office aggravator who is wondering why you have not taken his bait (because you are calm and relaxed). When you drink booze you might get ugly with your loved ones, with Kava you are more patient and loving with your loved ones. Like the Islanders say, "man who drinks Kava does not want to fight like man who drinks alcohol."
And finally, after drinking Kava for a while, you will notice a mild sedation or calmness the next day. I have been feeling the residual effect as of late. I think it is the Nene Nitecap. That feeling takes me back to my college days when things were pretty "mellow".

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
So far the most successful introduction to kava products has been through Kalm with Kava. Everyone has had positive feedback and everyone also has felt the effects. All of these people had never taken kava before, so that was surprising to me.

D

Deleted User01

I'll bet I could turn them with some instant in a recipe. But people are used to "sody pop" so I totally understand that. Kapm, do they show any interest in pursuing Kava after the "sody pop". Or do they want to order Kalm with Kava. Or is it a one time thing and they still prefer cold beer. I had beer last night and I slept miserably. Kava is ruining me in that respect.

One more thing, somebody needs to pitch in about listening to music or working on hobbies. I have a heard time doing anything but music or an audio book. I'm not even interested in reading. But that's at night and I had my Kava much earlier so I'm winding down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Simonsays

Kava Curious
I have a bad knee that constantly swells with fluid. Since beginning to use Kava about 4 months ago, I have experienced little or no swelling. I guess it the diuretic properties.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Depends on who I'm talking to. The standard quick description is the "mild relaxing tea from the pacific islands, that makes you chill out and sleep good." If I go beyond that, I'll say that 'it's like a mild beer buzz but more calming and doesn't make you act stupid, even if you get to the point of walking wobbly'. But to truly describe the feeling of the "full" kava experience I have to start drawing parallels to recreational b3nz0 doses or being 'floored' on ecst4sy...perhaps I've said too much already.:censored:
In general, some keywords would be:
relaxing, sedating, entrancing, empathic, clear-headed,
mild pleasant inebriation...::kavaleaf::

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

Nice one Simonsays. Who would have though of that. And that's huge! Some Kavas have anti-inflammatory effects on me. Especially on Sunday after a big gardening project over the weekend.

Shakas, you have a lot of susplaining to do!::ricky:: But you could describe it in those terms with the word "mild" preceeding the description. You have to give folks a point of reference. If you get them to do Kava instead of other rec drugs then they will be better off because Kava is much milder and less destructive.

Wigman

Kava Enthusiast
Depends on who I'm talking to. The standard quick description is the "mild relaxing tea from the pacific islands, that makes you chill out and sleep good." If I go beyond that, I'll say that 'it's like a mild beer buzz but more calming and doesn't make you act stupid, even if you get to the point of walking wobbly'. But to truly describe the feeling of the "full" kava experience I have to start drawing parallels to recreational b3nz0 doses or being 'floored' on ecst4sy...perhaps I've said too much already.:censored:
In general, some keywords would be:
relaxing, sedating, entrancing, empathic, clear-headed,
mild pleasant inebriation...::kavaleaf::
That's what I was thinking. In small amounts, kava is mild, but I've definitely had some pretty heavy experiences from it. It's just...different.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Deleted User01 everyone I've given it to doesn't drink. My wife is coming around but only drinks the Kalm. I doubt I'll make a tried and true kavasseur out of her, but don't think I'm not trying!

D

Deleted User01

Kapm, that is why I was making an effort to show you some pictures of appetizing drinks. I know what you are up to. :sneaky: Maybe she would like some instant in a Kava Kolada? Micronized Syrup hits the spot too. Having some today in fact. I don't think I could get my wife to even do the Kalm. And she could sure use it "God Bless her Lil Ole Soul".:D

Roaddog

Kava Who?
That's what I was thinking. In small amounts, kava is mild, but I've definitely had some pretty heavy experiences from it. It's just...different.
Yes I agree , that's the general direction, I try to send folks. I've had a couple alcoholic friends, who have been making kava there new relaxer. Much love. Roaddog....

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
How do I describe kava you ask?
Well let me channel my description through this man whom has the simple explanation down to a T.
That my friends is how I would describe kava. ;)

KavaCat

Meow.
It depends on the company. I have a few friends, who live in various places in the world, where you know what (the green stuff) is legal. I usually can talk to them in how it compares to their favorite thing, and tell them it will put a smile on your face just the same, but can be quite different mentally. Sometimes we'll talk about it at length, if they want to. They are certainly the kind of people who want to know more, so I've had a few long conversations with a couple of them about it.

I told my mom that it was a root powder from the pacific, that would help with anxiety, but tastes pretty gross.

I tell casual acquaintances that it's an herbal supplement that makes you feel great for a few hours, and is especially good for stress or insomnia.

I think kava is best described in terms that your audience can get on board with.

D

Deleted User01

Folks, please let up on the taste thing. Grog made from Powder can be gross but the taste of instant and micronized is negligible. that's 2 out of 3. Put them into your favorite cocktail mix or juice and the taste is good. Also, now that KavaCat has let the Kat out of the Bag:rolleyes:, I wonder how users of both MJ and Kava would compare the two? If I had access, I would certainly run the test myself. And if MJ were legal, would they switch over to it or stay with Kava? I don't think I could work during the day under the influence of MJ. Too strong. Remember this, the word Freak Out came from MJ users and is just another word for Paranoia. As teenagers, we used that word a lot.:eek: But we should be honest with ourselves and post a good comparison. And there is nothing wrong with the word "stoners" (right Gary?). We were probably all stoners at one time or another and with one drug or another.

Wigman

Kava Enthusiast
Folks, please let up on the taste thing. Grog made from Powder can be gross but the taste of instant and micronized is negligible. that's 2 out of 3. Put them into your favorite cocktail mix or juice and the taste is good. Also, now that KavaCat has let the Kat out of the Bag:rolleyes:, I wonder how users of both MJ and Kava would compare the two? If I had access, I would certainly run the test myself. And if MJ were legal, would they switch over to it or stay with Kava? I don't think I could work during the day under the influence of MJ. Too strong. Remember this, the word Freak Out came from MJ users and is just another word for Paranoia. As teenagers, we used that word a lot.:eek: But we should be honest with ourselves and post a good comparison. And there is nothing wrong with the word "stoners" (right Gary?). We were probably all stoners at one time or another and with one drug or another.
I would say that the two share some attributes, for sure. But, if you get acquainted with any two psychoactive herbs, I'm sure you'll find similarities. Some people think that catnip even feels like MJ (I'm not "some people," for what it's worth). Chemically speaking, yangonin is said to act on the CB1 receptor, but I've read that its affinity is very low. So, that may or may not have anything to do with their common effects.

I think that it's really hard to describe kava because it's so much different than anything else out there. It's also really variable. I've found that the drugs with which I'd draw the most comparisons to kava are extremely consistent in effects. Kava's not like that, though. Some days, it'll smack me, and other times, it's much less noticeable--or a different aspect is pushed to the forefront of the experience. In that regard, you could say it's a bit like hallucinogens ("set and setting" and all that).

If someone asks you what kava's like, tell 'em to dump 8 oz. down the hatch, preferably something that you brewed yourself. That's the only way to properly explain the stuff.

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
I would say that the two share some attributes, for sure. But, if you get acquainted with any two psychoactive herbs, I'm sure you'll find similarities.

If someone asks you what kava's like, tell 'em to dump 8 oz. down the hatch, preferably something that you brewed yourself. That's the only way to properly explain the stuff.
The first part I highlighted in bold speaks for itself. ;)
The second part of your post I highlighted is a great way to introduce someone to kava, so as to avoid any misplaced doubt or rule out reverse tolerance.
As we all know it's *often* the preparation that leads to the lambasting of kava. :rolleyes:(y)
@Deleted User01 Be wary of the pod piper-methysticum police hahaha.:LOL:::amirite::
They appear in the fog and can only be seen with 'Infrared' technologies.
Before you know it you've been put to sleep via pressure points and the post disappears.:p:ROFLMAO:
But I completely agree with you Deleted User01, there's definitely a whole lot of people who could see the benefits of kava if they've already had experience with the Jolly Green Giant. (y):D

Last edited:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Well I find they go very well together. they go very good apart. I would struggle comparing them to each other, other than they both have similar risk factors, basically none, with some exceptions. I would compare them as both being something that can be used daily. But there effects are very different. I do like to have them both at the same time, when I can. But one or the other is nice too. I would think a lot of Americans would prefer to use both, but simply because of our changing political background, us stoners have helped to change. I find MJ to be the icing to my kava cake. Hey actually that makes me thing of a good idea. Well you can probably figure that one out. Much love. Roaddog....