What's new

How long can dermo last?

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
If I want to END the dermo, how long do I need to abstain (i.e. treat it cause, not just keep the symptoms at bay). It felt like sunburn, I want whatever was doing the burning to stop burning my skin by taking a break and then reducing intake, I just don't know how much. (I want shade or sunblock, not just aloe and a tan). Its not the dermo that bothers me (it is very mild), but the fact that something is out of order in my body to be causing it.

e.g. does a week break end the cause, and a little kava can be resumed while the symptoms finish doing their thing?
e.g. do you need the 4 months that it took to build up to the point where it cause dermo to end the build up and start over?
e.g. Does taking a week or 2 or 3 off then reducing the amount by half cause the your body to eliminate whatever it is faster than it builds up?
etc. etc.

Human skin should not require a permanent diet of coconut oil or permanent regular use of amalactin to be healthy. If I HAVE to do that permanently, then it seems my body is telling me I am still drinking too much grog.

P.S. I bought coconut oil. It tastes AWESOME. I am eating way too much. All that saturated fat...
P.P.S. I knew dermo was coming cause I was feeling a hot feeling in my skin and a tightness when I stretched, just like a sunburn (also little prickles and itches when I would first drink some shells). I was traveling and so happened to stop every early in the appearance of the dermo (only a little flaking skin under the arms). It is amazing how, just like everyone has said, the flaking continues to spread even though I have not had any kava for 9 days.

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
If I want to END the dermo, how long do I need to abstain (i.e. treat it cause, not just keep the symptoms at bay). It felt like sunburn, I want whatever was doing the burning to stop burning my skin by taking a break and then reducing intake, I just don't know how much. (I want shade or sunblock, not just aloe and a tan).

P.S. I bought coconut oil. It tastes AWESOME. I am eating way too much. All that saturated fat...
Coconut oil has what's known as medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs), which happen to be really good for you. 2-3 tbs a day is a good amount as a supplement.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Coconut oil has what's known as medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs), which happen to be really good for you. 2-3 tbs a day is a good amount as a supplement.
Ha! Yeah, I've looked at that. I hope its true. But there doesn't seem to be a consensus on the matter, only 2 sides with diametrically opposite views both quoting studies. I am not a scientist so I don't have any way of knowing who is right. (though it seems like "Little Pharma" :p, who sells coconut oil is backing coconut oil; and the US gov't who is backing... cows? ...says it'll kill you). But it tastes awesome!

But my main question remains how to end dermo, not keep it at bay.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Ha! Yeah, I've looked at that. I hope its true. But there doesn't seem to be a consensus on the matter, only 2 sides with diametrically opposite views both quoting studies. I am not a scientist so I don't have any way of knowing who is right. (though it seems like "Little Pharma" :p, who sells coconut oil is backing coconut oil; and the US gov't who is backing... cows? ...says it'll kill you). But it tastes awesome!

But my main question remains how to end dermo, not keep it at bay.
Taking a longer break worked for me. I've gone about 5 weeks on a break recently and it all went away. But I was drinking large amounts daily for 2 years. ymmv.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
If I want to END the dermo, how long do I need to abstain (i.e. treat it cause, not just keep the symptoms at bay). It felt like sunburn, I want whatever was doing the burning to stop burning my skin by taking a break and then reducing intake, I just don't know how much. (I want shade or sunblock, not just aloe and a tan). Its not the dermo that bothers me (it is very mild), but the fact that something is out of order in my body to be causing it.

e.g. does a week break end the cause, and a little kava can be resumed while the symptoms finish doing their thing?
e.g. do you need the 4 months that it took to build up to the point where it cause dermo to end the build up and start over?
e.g. Does taking a week or 2 or 3 off then reducing the amount by half cause the your body to eliminate whatever it is faster than it builds up?
etc. etc.

Human skin should not require a permanent diet of coconut oil or permanent regular use of amalactin to be healthy. If I HAVE to do that permanently, then it seems my body is telling me I am still drinking too much grog.

P.P.S. I knew dermo was coming cause I was feeling a hot feeling in my skin and a tightness when I stretched, just like a sunburn (also little prickles and itches when I would first drink some shells). I was traveling and so happened to stop every early in the appearance of the dermo (only a little flaking skin under the arms). It is amazing how, just like everyone has said, the flaking continues to spread even though I have not had any kava for 9 days.
My understanding is that a 2 or 3 week break form kava will ride out the dermo, although at first it gets worse before it gets better, but I don't really know from experience, just what I read.

I have some dry rutted heels and the occasional fairy dust in my black panties, but aside from that the coconut oil and hot compresses with the rice in a sock seem to do the trick, even on armpit sties.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Hmm...I'm 11 days kava free and I cannot find anything I can definately identify as dermo. I just wish I knew how it works; is there some chemical built up in my epidermis that needs more time to drop so drinking again won't push it back up to dermo level again (rhetorical question)? Anyway, eating coconut oil, used amalyctin and tons of water.

Frankly, I feel kinda awesome without kava. But I want more kava too. But just so much energy; too much kava had totally killed my will to exercise. I think I am gonna drink less frequently so I can keep up my desire to exercise. That empty stomach window when I wake up in the morning...

Last edited:

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Well, I think I am on my thirteenth day without kava. Might have some in a couple days. I've been ravenously hungry! More than before I started the kava. I don't think I have been this hungry since I was a teenager. Could this be related to coming off kava?