What's new

How long can dermo last?

Rick.Sanchez

Kava Enthusiast
Question is in the title. Ive abstained from kava for weeks now, and it's still persisting.

A bit if background, when I first starting using kava, I never got dermo. My first bout with dermo happened about a year ago when I was straining with cheesecloth, and I got small patches of dry skin on my chest. I quit drinking for a few weeks, and it eventually went away. After that, I only used the aluball, and I never had any problems with dermo aside from very mild flare ups that went right away if I cut back my kava consumption.

Well, I tried using nene micro for the first time a couple months ago and loved it. I started using small amounts of it nightly. I also noticed that I seemed to be getting more sediment in my aluball, so I think my mesh might have broke just a tiny bit somewhere. Not enough to be gritty, but enough to notice a change.

About a couple weeks into using micro and my aluball leaving more sediment, I got the exact same dermo breakout on my chest. I figured it was the micro, so I stopped using it and only used like a tbsp or less per day of kava in my aluball. My dermo only continued to get worse, so I cut back to once or twice a week... but it only continued to get worse, and I ended up getting large patches of the same yellow/red dry skin on my thighs. It doesn't look pretty.

Naturally, I cut out kava completely. Now, I'm about 3-4 weeks removed from any kava consumption, and my dermo hasn't improved at all. In fact, it might have gotten a little worse in that time. I don't understand. How long does this last? I feel like I should at least be seeing improvement in this time. I'm considering going to the doctor, but i doubt there's anything they'll be able to do. It really looks exactly like dermo.

Any advice would be great. Anyone else have issues with dermo lasting so long without any improvement??

Krunkaroo

Kava Enthusiast
Mine gets bad if I micro kava but clears up withing 3-4 days, I do focus towards hydration in that time, alot of coconut water and other things.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Mine usually goes away in a few days or a week. If I continue drinking kava it may linger longer. One thing I noticed, when I stopped for several weeks once, was that the dermopathy came in waves before it was truly gone...it took about 3 ups and downs.

gork

Kava Enthusiast
As one that gets Exema and Dry skin: To long! :p On the bad side: Kava does cause Exema and dry skin. Weirdly sometimes it doesn't orthers it's the same or next day. I simply don't know why. For me it might clear on its own in about 2-3 days then come back and clear out totally in about a about a week. However if I use some a bit of Olive Oil mixed with SheaButter before a bath or shower that helps mine stay down to a 7-10days or so.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Mine got worse for a week to a week and half. After about 2 weeks with no kava, lots of lotion, and some sun ( I was on vacation in Key West) it e

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Having body dandruff doesn't really bother me. It's the itchy eyes and styes that are really no fun.

Remember not to rub your eyes!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Mine usually goes away in a few days or a week. If I continue drinking kava it may linger longer. One thing I noticed, when I stopped for several weeks once, was that the dermopathy came in waves before it was truly gone...it took about 3 ups and downs.
Interesting, I can relate to this. This last run in with dermo for me was like that, even after stopping for 7 days and considerably cutting back on my daily consumption, I still saw waves of dermo come and go. Not as bad as the initial 7 days, with styes, etc, but different nonetheless.

I wonder if this is something that long term kava drinkers will eventually experience?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
It' a good thing, kava or no kava people should regularly wash their eye area, and never rub it. Kava teaches you this brutally, but it's a good lesson for life.

Jobeo

Kava Curious
A stye is a clogged eyelash pore. It's basically a zit in a very uncomfortable location. As with any type of pimple, rubbing, picking and bacteria is to be avoided.
Thanks. Is there anything which can help with them? Eye drops? Etc

User13789

I have adjusted to dermo by showering less. With drier skin, it takes longer for oils to develop that require removal by soap and water.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Question is in the title. Ive abstained from kava for weeks now, and it's still persisting.

A bit if background, when I first starting using kava, I never got dermo. My first bout with dermo happened about a year ago when I was straining with cheesecloth, and I got small patches of dry skin on my chest. I quit drinking for a few weeks, and it eventually went away. After that, I only used the aluball, and I never had any problems with dermo aside from very mild flare ups that went right away if I cut back my kava consumption.

Well, I tried using nene micro for the first time a couple months ago and loved it. I started using small amounts of it nightly. I also noticed that I seemed to be getting more sediment in my aluball, so I think my mesh might have broke just a tiny bit somewhere. Not enough to be gritty, but enough to notice a change.

About a couple weeks into using micro and my aluball leaving more sediment, I got the exact same dermo breakout on my chest. I figured it was the micro, so I stopped using it and only used like a tbsp or less per day of kava in my aluball. My dermo only continued to get worse, so I cut back to once or twice a week... but it only continued to get worse, and I ended up getting large patches of the same yellow/red dry skin on my thighs. It doesn't look pretty.

Naturally, I cut out kava completely. Now, I'm about 3-4 weeks removed from any kava consumption, and my dermo hasn't improved at all. In fact, it might have gotten a little worse in that time. I don't understand. How long does this last? I feel like I should at least be seeing improvement in this time. I'm considering going to the doctor, but i doubt there's anything they'll be able to do. It really looks exactly like dermo.

Any advice would be great. Anyone else have issues with dermo lasting so long without any improvement??
I have had no demo at all since taking coconut oil capsules daily.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
how often ?
I used to shower every day, now I can go two or three days. Once a day you should wash your face and hands and pits and groin, for sure, but there's no real reason anyone should have to wash their whole body and hair every day. It's wasteful and probably not good for you.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Couple questions (not sure if I'm reviving the right old thread):
Will abstaining from kava reset the dermo clock? (i.e. if it took 5 months to get dermo, will taking a break allow someone to have another 5 months before getting it again)?
How long should you abstain to reset said clock?

Couple observations
I find it really striking how closely dermo mimics sunburn.
I wonder if it could possibly be some kind of chemical burn? (without being too detailed, I once noticed that strong CO2 extract is capable of killing skin-cells in the mouth)

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Edward's approach of coconut oil really helps. I eat a heaping teaspoon every day. It took a couple weeks to kick in, and then gets even better. It works. Does not fight sties, tho. You needs the sock of rice for that.