What's new

How many strong shells can you get out 1/2 of the frozen fresh kava?

marksmyspot

Kava Curious
Hello,
I have never had fresh frozen kava before.
I know what the instructions say bit I like strong sessions.
I was wondering the following:
1) how much water to mix in for 1 of the half pound bags to make good strong grog?
2) how many shells can of strong grog do you think this will make?

I plan to crush up the half pound bag into a blender with warm water and mix for about 5 minutes then strain, then strain in one of the straining bags I bought on line, I think from amazon. After straining it for about 10 minutes and let it soak a few more minutes, I will drink some shells and save t hgt e rest for later. I just want to know how many sessions I can get out of the half pound I plan to make the minute I get my delivery.
Thank you!

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Hello,
1) how much water to mix in for 1 of the half pound bags to make good strong grog?

I plan to crush up the half pound bag into a blender with warm water and mix for about 5 minutes then strain, then strain in one of the straining bags I bought on line, I think from amazon. After straining it for about 10 minutes and let it soak a few more minutes, I will drink some shells and save t hgt e rest for later. I just want to know how many sessions I can get out of the half pound I plan to make the minute I get my delivery.
Thank you!
There are detailed "How to Make Fresh 'Awa Drink" on page 64 of the Hawaiian 'awa book.
There is a link to that book at gourmethawaiiankava.com website.
Your idea of blending, then straining is a good one.
I would suggest after blending and placing in strainer, you lomi-- like massage -- the strainer bag within any excess water
from blender. The more you work the kava pulp-- lomi-- the more you push out the active constituents from the Kava.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I'll just add that I used about 600ml of water, I cut the bag below the zip lock seal and added water to gradually pour it all out into the blender, don't want to leave a single fiber behind :).

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hello,

Thank you!
I started with a 1/2lb frozen to one full blender (8 cups) for the first wash - but I found it a bit weak for my liking. Switched to 1lb frozen to 8 cups water blend for 2-3 minutes, strain, put back in blender and do a second wash with 4 cups of water. This for me was much better. My blender (Ninja) had no issue breaking apart the frozen 1/2lb chunk without needing to defrost. So I got roughly 12 cups, a little less once you strain for a 1lb. Remember you have roughly 1/5 potency level between fresh and dried (i.e. you would need 5lbs fresh to equal 1lb dried).

marksmyspot

Kava Curious
That helps thank you very much!
I might put half a pound of the spotted hiwa or Nene to 4 cups of water than to make it stronger.
You guys always are a great help.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
@marksmyspot
Did you ever get it? I'm curious about your experience? Definitely want to try if I come into some money.

Edit- nevermind I see the review.

Last edited: