What's new

How much kava are you using for your brew?

Dan

Kava Enthusiast
The more I read of others' use the more I realize seem to be on the extreme lightweight end of the scale.  3tbs-kava-per-session is pretty much my go-to amount for both daily and weekend use.  Any more than that - even for gregarious social occasions - I start slurring my words and losing some of the acuity that I enjoy with normal use.

Do you guys have some golden amount of kava that you prefer?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
3 packed scoops in 8 oz of water. Soak for 20, and drink. This has been the ritual for about 5 years now. Any more and I start to get into that "center of balance being on the other side of the room" thing. I've found the 3 tbs ideal for magically adding what feels like an extra 2 hours sleep to my horrible sleep schedule.

kl.new2kava

Kava Enthusiast
I usually use a 17 ounce can of coconut water and about half a cup of root, let it sit for a hour or so then blend it for a few minutes and then knead it for a while. I typically resoak the root in warm water and make a second weaker batch to get the most out of my root.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I use 2 tbsp when I make kava for just myself or for someone who wants to give it a try. Sometimes I don't level out the tbsp.

kl.CarolinaBC

Kava Enthusiast
2 heaping tablespoons for me.  I give it a second squeeze and I'm generally good to go.  Every once in a while I'll add a not so heaping tablespoon to give a little extra power to the 2nd squeezing.

kavalover

Outsider
I'd say, my typical ratio is 4 heaping tbsp of kava to every full cup of water. I usually add a bit more water though, maybe an extra cup to dilute the taste a bit and give me more to drink. Recently I've been using 3tbsp of fiji waka to 3 tbsp boruguru to 2 tbsp of Fu'u to three cups of water. Makes for a nice batch of kava to study with I tell ya whut. (smiley: smokin)

It really just depends, but I wouldn't consider you a lightweight. 2 - 4 tbsp of kava is really all you need in my experience. Some people genuinely need more, but once you get into the swing of kava, that seems to be a sweet spot for many users.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
One and a half cups of kava to one gallon of kava, when I make Tongan. I usually drink the whole thing in a night.

kl.Yopez

Got a fresh pack of Van 3 and I'm making it 3 tbsp kava to 1 cup of water, mixed with a tablespoon of coconut oil, and throw the mix in a blender for 2 mins. After that I kneed for 10 mins, strain and enjoy a night filled with bliss~