What's new

How to Find Chemotypes for Hanakapi Ai and Honokane Iki

liam8888

Kava Curious
one or both of these gives me the WORST anxiety if I have too much (which is not that much), how can I lookup the chemotypes? Googling is not helping much and the GHK never answers emails

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
one or both of these gives me the WORST anxiety if I have too much (which is not that much), how can I lookup the chemotypes? Googling is not helping much and the GHK never answers emails
The chemotypes of these are 1. Honokane Iki-- 463251 (14.08 total) with exceptionally high kavain. 2. Hanakapi'ai-- 423651 (15.52) . I have no idea why properly prepared 'awa could cause anxiety.

liam8888

Kava Curious
The chemotypes of these are 1. Honokane Iki-- 463251 (14.08 total) with exceptionally high kavain. 2. Hanakapi'ai-- 423651 (15.52) . I have no idea why properly prepared 'awa could cause anxiety.
interesting, thanks, what does the 14.08 total refer to? which one of the two is more stimulating? i don't know why the anxiety either! does kava not mix well with a little weed and/or K@?

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I've never had an issue with Honokane Iki but some harvests of Hanakapi Ai have made me feel very unpleasant, even using it as a mixer. I did really love the harvest from summer of 2015. It was one of my all time favorites. Not sure if there are different growing sites that bring out different effects?

liam8888

Kava Curious
yes, the WORST anxiety ever, i've even tried reducing it down to only 5g and mix with other stuff then boom, an hour or so later the anxiety begins

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
HI, I have responded to your email and some people do actually get what you described, it seems very rare but it does happen to certain people. I have been told that they keep trying different kava and they find one they like. I would recommend trying a different kava, maybe even from a different vendor. All the chemotypes are on my website. Please let me know if you have any other questions, aloha.

Chris

liam8888

Kava Curious
HI, I have responded to your email and some people do actually get what you described, it seems very rare but it does happen to certain people. I have been told that they keep trying different kava and they find one they like. I would recommend trying a different kava, maybe even from a different vendor. All the chemotypes are on my website. Please let me know if you have any other questions, aloha.

Chris
ok thanks Chris

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
interesting, thanks, what does the 14.08 total refer to? which one of the two is more stimulating? i don't know why the anxiety either! does kava not mix well with a little weed and/or K@?
The 14.08 refers to total KL. Did you mean that you mixed the 'awa with other stuff marijuana or K@? If so, that is not a good idea. Kavalactone content can vary depending on amount of sun a particular plant gets*. More sun, more KL. But, the chemotype itself stays mostly the same.
*Economic Botany 53: 407-418.

liam8888

Kava Curious
The 14.08 refers to total KL. Did you mean that you mixed the 'awa with other stuff marijuana or K@? If so, that is not a good idea. Kavalactone content can vary depending on amount of sun a particular plant gets*. More sun, more KL. But, the chemotype itself stays mostly the same.
*Economic Botany 53: 407-418.
thanks, why is it not a good idea? i am being serious, not being a smartass, just wondering why

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
i don't know why the anxiety either! does kava not mix well with a little weed and/or K@?
I tend not to comment on kava regarding causing/curing anxiety (and this reflects in my reviews... how many shells to put?), as I'm not sure I understand what clinical anxiety feels like. I've certainly been anxious before, and maybe I'd even say I get anxious a lot... and I "treat" that with kava, in a manner of speaking. Despite this, my problems just FEELZ a lot different than others on here when they describe anxiety. I guess I'm lucky!

But kava with caffiene, too much of it... thats a level of confusion and stimulation I'd classify as anxiety. Might not be like that for everyone, but it is for me. I try not to mix them. I try to tell my krunked self to remember that.

I imagine same could be true for you if you consume something else while krunked. Just because it works for some people, it might not for you.

Then again it could be just that particular type of kava. Everyone is different. but for a kava to cause/worsen anxiety... that would be vastly different from everything I've ever heard. Certainly not impossible though.

I'd try a small dose of the kava on a day you do NOT drink any alcohol, caffeine, or any medical or recreational substances, then make another assessment.

Hate for that good kava to go to waste if it really does work for you!

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
oooh i remember now... I've had Hanakapi Ai before. it was medium grind. Definitly no anxiety. I remember it being VERY stony and couch-lock-inducing. I remember it being particularly heavy on the eyes. I was at home chillaxing though. Perhaps it would have made me anxious if I were in a public setting?

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
thanks, why is it not a good idea? i am being serious, not being a smartass, just wondering why
You always want to make sure you understand and have experience with a substance/herb before you mix it with others. Especially powerful psycho-actives. Even if it isn't dangerous, the results could be very uncomfortable, taking away from the normal benefit of either used by themselves.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I've had both Honokane Iki and Hanakapi'ai, at least the varieties sold by GHK. I found them comparable, both excellent, good flavour, strong, with a mix of headiness and heaviness. Sorry you had an abreaction. I would definitely switch to a different kava if that happened.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I don't know but the second time I bought Hanakapi Ai it got me sick as a dog
The Hanakapi Ai is one of the strongest Noble kava's that I sell, it is made from only the small hair like lateral roots, and I am not surprised that you got sick, you have to treat this kava with respect, you might say it is not one to be chugged it is one to be sipped. The good thing is that your first bag was great, maybe you just over did it on the second bag like you mentioned above, coming from some one that likes to use tudei kava I am surprised your not ordering more of the Hanakapi Ai, or are you just saying you got sick from my kava because you don't like me, this is also clear from your pod cast, I would like to know what business practices that I do that are not in line with what you think I should be doing? Is this top secret info too?
Aloha.

Chris

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava Was there anything unique about the Hanakapi Ai harvest from the summer of 2015? This was one of my all time kava favorites. The harvest before that and the last one I tried during the winter were much different in effects.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
The Hanakapi Ai is one of the strongest Noble kava's that I sell, it is made from only the small hair like lateral roots, and I am not surprised that you got sick, you have to treat this kava with respect, you might say it is not one to be chugged it is one to be sipped. The good thing is that your first bag was great, maybe you just over did it on the second bag like you mentioned above, coming from some one that likes to use tudei kava I am surprised your not ordering more of the Hanakapi Ai, or are you just saying you got sick from my kava because you don't like me, this is also clear from your pod cast, I would like to know what business practices that I do that are not in line with what you think I should be doing? Is this top secret info too?
Aloha.

Chris
Of the six different GHK kavas I've tried I found them all sippable, but I have also happily chugged them all, too, including the Hanakapi 'Ai, and even then that was in a pretty strong prep (1/2 cup of root trad prepped in 2.5 cups water on the first wash). I will say that I find them better made as trad prep, with water and a big bag and 10 minutes of kneading. They were fine blender prepped, with or without coconut milk, but I think the trad prep really shows them off at their best, because of the grinding process and the excellent mix of textures.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
That batch was laced with Isa, right @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

;-)
Lol. That 2015 batch was actually the best for me. The others, especially the one harvested the year prior had a weird feel to them (didn't make me feel sick or tudei-ish at all, just not pleasant). The bag I bought in 2014 was my least favorite noble kava ever, the one in 2015 turned out to be my favorite, so just wondering...