What's new

Kava Science HP-TLc comparison of Noble, Tudei and Wichmanii strains for FKB

Andrew Procyk

Noble Kava
Kava Vendor

The screenshots and examination of 3 types of each of the three categories of kavas.

Also of note: This was sent to me by a FL friend. Not sure what the sourcing could be, so not sure if the quote in genuine - but I will inqure soon enough.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/nz.general/kcQJ1NQv1Ns

From the above:

DR. LEBOT WARNS AGAINST EXPORT OF TWO-DAY KAVA
March 22, 2012
By Len Garae
Dr Lebot at the Conference Kava expert Dr Vincent Lebot has said kava
dealers in the country must know that they export the worst kind of kava
(two-day kava) to New Caledonia.... (more inside the link. Again, this was sent to me with no info on the original source.)

Nonetheless, hope all is well with you folks. Cheers! Be Well!

Andrew/Iahi

infraredz

BULA!
Awesome, I'm really glad to see he go the HPTLC tests up and running. Basically this is, unlike the qualitative analysis, quantitative data that proves if a sample contains the Flavokavains (of which FKB is not the only toxic one, FKA induces apoptosis in bladder cells).

Now what needs to happen is to, similar to the Vanuatu Kava Act, put in place laws governing the export of tudei kava in other countries (PNG and Hawaii come to mind...) but the possibility of that seems low at this point. That leaves the burden on the importers, which, with no disrespect, are obligated to have their kavas independently tested with HPLC or HPTLC. We have established that FKB (and FKA and FKC) are not present in noble kava, which if prepared correctly, has been proven to be safe. It is now the burden of vendors to have their kava independently analyzed and then the results publicly available. I believe that the more proactive the kava industry is regarding this, the better the future will look like for kava. This is all looking much more promising :)

Last edited:

Andrew Procyk

Noble Kava
Kava Vendor
Sadly Infraredz, The HP-TLC is not up and running yet. There are results from various HP-TLC tests on Vincent's laptop, but the machine itself needs a full array of base samples in order to get it going. That is something that is being worked on at present, and needs a budget.
I am absolutely, completely and totally behind your suggestion that vendors have their kava tested, and it will be easy once the HP-TLC is online. Until then, 30cc of acetone and 10g of root powder, and one can determine if it is of a strain that has FKB. Again, that may not be >THE< culprit that caused the issues at the turn of the century, but, we do know it has toxic properties, and I believe should be avoided for safety's sake. Not to mention, tudei kavas were never considered good drinking kavas. I think it is only when it was realized that their rate of growth (like Isa for instance) could generate more profit faster did they become "en vogue" so to speak.
Additionally, I have seen people demanding tests for afalotoxin on kava, but I am curious how many of the same people demand their coffee supplier to test their beans for the same. the FDA food-defect action level for coffee beans is 10% showing signs of visible mold. I understand the DAL for kava is zero. (ZERO!) That is why I understand it is relatively easy to get it seized if you are shipping a final-use product.
With any luck, the machine will get the funding either through the government, or though a public-private partnership (which I am trying to work on now) to get going within the year - with luck, by the end of the year. Until then, as you put it, it is up to us!

Thanks, hope all is well with you.

Very Truly,
Iahi

meow

Kava Curious
I would love to see this done and see what types have how much or none at all flavo kavains. Also apparently I'm not to versed in this that much anymore lol and would love to learn more about the toxicity of these compounds.