What's new

I am curious as to kavas effects on sodium levels ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schatz

itchin for kava
It turns out another issue from drinking too much can be a drop in your sodium levels. We took the mother in law in to the hospital last week and they determined her sodium levels dropped to 105, it is amazeing she is still with us. Although I think she lost a good portion of here mind she recovered otherwise after spending a week in the hospital with flud restrictions. I guess there are a few things that can cause sodium levels to drop and didnt realize it was as critical as it is. I was just wondering if any body has noticed a drop in sodium on their blood tests lately, mine have been good at 139 but just curious because dirutecs can be an issue with sodium levels.

schatz

itchin for kava
I've had 3 metabolic panels in the last 18 months, heavy kava usage. Each one has shown 140 mmol/L.
Thank you, I have been curious as to the diuretic effects causing sodium imbalance and it seems there again alcohol rears its ugly head in another way I have not heard of nor thought of. So far kava has been gentle with me in terms of blood work. She is 74 so I wonder if that has anything to do with it, I wonder if I reach 74 and still drink kava will it be as insignificant in sodium and other issues. She is recovering and not drinking so far, but she asked a very disturbing question the other day about why she was to never drink alcohol again. We had to remind her that it would probably kill her and she just said oh. Meanwhile my other alcoholic friend that I have been trying to get off alcohol and drink kava is 3 weeks sober and doing well. I have been trying for over a year now and he will sober up and drink kava for a couple weeks and then something triggers him into going back. This time I hope he hit bottom hard enough and the kava gets through. Just typeing out loud if anybody is interested.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
So sorry to hear about your friend and MIL! I personally know someone who died from alcoholism and it isn't pretty.
As far as seniors go, I've known many who struggle to get enough food and water into their systems due to loss of appetite from various problems. If you add a strong substance on top of it that strips the body of certain things, it makes perfect sense to me that levels of sodium (and potentially other things) will drop to dangerous levels. I've only had one lab done on myself, a base line liver panel and b6, b12 and vitamin d...The vitamin deficiencies I had before kava. I can certainly report back on the liver when I get a fresh panel done in a few months.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
So sorry to hear about your friend and MIL! I personally know someone who died from alcoholism and it isn't pretty.
As far as seniors go, I've known many who struggle to get enough food and water into their systems due to loss of appetite from various problems. If you add a strong substance on top of it that strips the body of certain things, it makes perfect sense to me that levels of sodium (and potentially other things) will drop to dangerous levels. I've only had one lab done on myself, a base line liver panel and b6, b12 and vitamin d...The vitamin deficiencies I had before kava. I can certainly report back on the liver when I get a fresh panel done in a few months.
I'm getting complete everything done next week, including liver. I'll probably post.

schatz

itchin for kava
Thank you, so far all of my blood tests have come back good except for low vit D since I have been drinking kava for the last couple years. I just had blood work done a month ago and all was well. Its sad that alcohol has such a grip on us that we cannot even see what it is doing to us as a society. Another friend of mine died 10 years back in his early 40's when he bled out in his sleep through his throat. I guess he drank so much hard liqour that it ate through his throat tissues and he had excessive bleeding, and I am sure he had some warnings but chose to ignore them due to alcohol. Good luck on your blood tests, I am sure they are fine.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Krunkie please share if you do. If you are going to get it done you might as well. We all really appreciate everyone who does. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.