What's new

I got a rash I think

Michael1011

Kava Curious
I've been a dedicated kava drinker for 1-2 years, heavily in the last year. Recently I've developed some red on my shoulders which looks like sunburn and is peeling. Its not itchy or painful, just annoying. I also developed dry peeling skin on my arms and torso. My hands get the driest.

THis plant has been a huge help in my life. Its helped me stop drinking and stop smoking cigarettes, relieved my severe depression and has helped me be a better person. I'd be at a huge loss without this plant. I've gotten another pound of waka on the way and I don't want to have to throw it out or sell it.

It started with dry skin then once I applied coconut oil on my shoulders thats when the red broke out. It seems to get worse with moisturizers. Can someone help

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I've been a dedicated kava drinker for 1-2 years, heavily in the last year. Recently I've developed some red on my shoulders which looks like sunburn and is peeling. Its not itchy or painful, just annoying. I also developed dry peeling skin on my arms and torso. My hands get the driest.

THis plant has been a huge help in my life. Its helped me stop drinking and stop smoking cigarettes, relieved my severe depression and has helped me be a better person. I'd be at a huge loss without this plant. I've gotten another pound of waka on the way and I don't want to have to throw it out or sell it.

It started with dry skin then once I applied coconut oil on my shoulders thats when the red broke out. It seems to get worse with moisturizers. Can someone help
Ruling out a new laundry detergent that disagrees with you, this looks like classic dermo, but don't throw your waka out! Unless you have some extreme form of this allergy, and you'd know by now because it would be a lot worse, this is just typical dermo so typical dermo approach should work. Increase hydration, use lotions, strain your grog well, cut down or out for a little while and then ease back in. Maybe eat a spoon of coconut oil a day. What I swear by is to put three ice cubes in every shell, four if I have any symptoms of dehydration, and sip through a bombilla, a type of metal straw with a spoon at the bottom which helps filter out any particle that got past the strainer bag or ball or whatever I used in prep.

Michael1011

Kava Curious
Ruling out a new laundry detergent that disagrees with you, this looks like classic dermo, but don't throw your waka out! Unless you have some extreme form of this allergy, and you'd know by now because it would be a lot worse, this is just typical dermo so typical dermo approach should work. Increase hydration, use lotions, strain your grog well, cut down or out for a little while and then ease back in. Maybe eat a spoon of coconut oil a day. What I swear by is to put three ice cubes in every shell, four if I have any symptoms of dehydration, and sip through a bombilla, a type of metal straw with a spoon at the bottom which helps filter out any particle that got past the strainer bag or ball or whatever I used in prep.
My bowls are really thick and if I let it sit long enough the particles settle into a murky substance resembling the bottom of a lake haha

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Jee sorry it inconvenienced you that I posted this thread
It didn't. Your posts are absolutely as important as anyone else's here. I apologize if I came off harshly. You should absolutely post any questions you may have.

We have no issues answering the same questions again and again, just as long as it's a new member asking them. Every member has different circumstances that we try to take into account. This makes every question a little different except when the same member with the same circumstances asks multiple times.

The bottom line is, you are experiencing dermapothy. The most common side effect of kava.

Michael1011

Kava Curious
It didn't. Your posts are absolutely as important as anyone else's here. I apologize if I came off harshly. You should absolutely post any questions you may have.

We have no issues answering the same questions again and again, just as long as it's a new member asking them. Every member has different circumstances that we try to take into account. This makes every question a little different except when the same member with the same circumstances asks multiple times.

The bottom line is, you are experiencing dermapothy. The most common side effect of kava.
Thanks for your reply and sorry that I came off defensive and edgy. Just had a rough week with nic withdrawals and the kava Derm. That's just a relief for sure that it doesn't seem to be an allergy. Kava has gotten me through many dark days. I truly don't know where I'd be without it. Its rather important that this works for me at this time, with winter and holiday blues coming in and everything, winter being my least favorite season of all.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Thanks for your reply and sorry that I came off defensive and edgy. Just had a rough week with nic withdrawals and the kava Derm. That's just a relief for sure that it doesn't seem to be an allergy. Kava has gotten me through many dark days. I truly don't know where I'd be without it. Its rather important that this works for me at this time, with winter and holiday blues coming in and everything, winter being my least favorite season of all.
Hey, no judgement here. We all have our days, and I ASSURE you I have mine as well :)

I get you, though. Kava is just as important in my life too.

What happened to me when I first started was that I went for the strongest kava that I could use the least of to get the most effects. Turns out that's usually the quickest way to dermapothy and other negative skin effects. Same with micro-grinds.

The real answer is: Don't worry. You 100% can manage dermapothy while continuing to drink and receive the positive effects from kava.

My suggestion is to start sampling other types of medium grind kavas. I had to do this myself. The dermo didn't leave instantly, but once I found a kava that suited me in the medium grind area it slowly started to fade. Today, while I still do have dry skin due to kava, it's easily remedied with lotion application in the morning after a shower.

You won't have to give up kava, just cut back and edit your type and grind.

You know, I should have seen you asking this question multiple times as a reflection of how important this question is to you. My apologies for the short-sightedness.

Michael1011

Kava Curious
Thanks Kapmcrunk. I'll start with switching strains. I used to know this guy who sold bags of kava in my city for only $15 pound, then the price jumped to $25 and he eventually stopped answering unfortunately. I think he might have moved. Its been like a year. I might try and contact him to see if he still does that. It was some good, noble kava. He always had bags and bags of the stuff lol

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Hey, no judgement here. We all have our days, and I ASSURE you I have mine as well :)

I get you, though. Kava is just as important in my life too.

What happened to me when I first started was that I went for the strongest kava that I could use the least of to get the most effects. Turns out that's usually the quickest way to dermapothy and other negative skin effects. Same with micro-grinds.

The real answer is: Don't worry. You 100% can manage dermapothy while continuing to drink and receive the positive effects from kava.

My suggestion is to start sampling other types of medium grind kavas. I had to do this myself. The dermo didn't leave instantly, but once I found a kava that suited me in the medium grind area it slowly started to fade. Today, while I still do have dry skin due to kava, it's easily remedied with lotion application in the morning after a shower.

You won't have to give up kava, just cut back and edit your type and grind.

You know, I should have seen you asking this question multiple times as a reflection of how important this question is to you. My apologies for the short-sightedness.
Same here. Certain chemotypes give me worse dermo. Switch it up and drink lots of water. If you're able, drink pedialyte and make the grog a little less strong.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Thanks Kapmcrunk. I'll start with switching strains. I used to know this guy who sold bags of kava in my city for only $15 pound, then the price jumped to $25 and he eventually stopped answering unfortunately. I think he might have moved. Its been like a year. I might try and contact him to see if he still does that. It was some good, noble kava. He always had bags and bags of the stuff lol
I wish to know this guy.