What's new

Dermo I need help!

Hello everybody,

My roommate and I are both kavatenders. Therefore, kava is a huge part of our lives, it's not going anywhere, and I honestly love it. But as a semi-veteran of kava drinking, I've experienced a couple different things. Lately, I've been experiencing dermo on my groin, penis, and nutsac. I'm not sure what to do about it. Any similar incidents or advice for me? I love you guys, thank you, and happy new year.
P.S. yes I've seen doctors. They said I got a yeast infection but too dry to culture my arse. I was tested for STDs/STIs. It all came back looking good. A dermatologist said contact dermatitis from being drying and riding my motorbike.

Any thoughts, questions, concerns?
Also anyone with experience of a yeast infection, heavy kava use, and or their relation?

Would rather not give up kava or my motorcycle. But it's not looking good for either.

Sincerely,
Kava Kyle

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hello everybody,

My roommate and I are both kavatenders. Therefore, kava is a huge part of our lives, it's not going anywhere, and I honestly love it. But as a semi-veteran of kava drinking, I've experienced a couple different things. Lately, I've been experiencing dermo on my groin, penis, and nutsac. I'm not sure what to do about it. Any similar incidents or advice for me? I love you guys, thank you, and happy new year.
P.S. yes I've seen doctors. They said I got a yeast infection but too dry to culture my arse. I was tested for STDs/STIs. It all came back looking good. A dermatologist said contact dermatitis from being drying and riding my motorbike.

Any thoughts, questions, concerns?
Also anyone with experience of a yeast infection, heavy kava use, and or their relation?

Would rather not give up kava or my motorcycle. But it's not looking good for either.

Sincerely,
Kava Kyle
Ouch! So most recommendations on this site go towards reducing the flaking, scaly skin - like using amalactin. Definitely don't use it on open or broken skin. I would also avoid these in sensitive areas. If it is itchy but no broken skin I would try using some hydrocortisone cream. Anti-fungal creams will clear up a skin yeast infection as well (look up creams for jock-itch) like lotrimin.

jonaspmd

found kava
In this order:
stop or reduce kava consumption as it impairs skin healing - >
antifungal cream three time a day for a week; this will either help if there is a fungal infection or, if no improvement at all, will significantly reduce the likelihood of a fungal infection. - >
If no clear effect of antifungal cream, then try corticosteroids

I would really first exclude infection before using corticosteroids. Corticosteroids directly reduce inflammation, which is a natural reaction against invaders. I would imagine that combining topical corticosteroids with impaired skin barrier and healing due to kava consumption would create a perfect playground for fungal infection.

If antifungal cream helps and the rash resolves, it may come back later. That's the nature of fungal infections. If it becomes too difficult to manage with antifungal cream, ie frequent recurrences, then the nuclear solution is per oral fluconazole once per week for four weeks. No fungi will survive that

E

edsaqwer

I have not read any information about the link between yeast infection and kava consumption. In the worst case, kava can damage the liver if consumed excessively. You can get this infection from your sexual partner if you have had unprotected sex.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
In the worst case, kava can damage the liver if consumed excessively.
There is quite a bit of research that would disagree with your opinion there.

Aporosa, S. Apo. 2019. “De-Mythologizing and Re-Branding of Kava as the New ‘world Drug’ of Choice.” Drug Science, Policy and Law 5 (January): 2050324519876131. https://doi.org/10.1177/2050324519876131.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Damn I hope I’m not headed this way. The biggest problem with dermo seems to be that it leaves skin weak to infection, which l have recently discovered after having styes/eyelid pimples as an adult. Kava plus cat dander for people with allergies like me is a quick way to screw up your eyelid.