What's new

News Article "I Tried “Nature’s Xanax” for a Hangover-Free Buzz""

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I get the whole analogy to Xanax due to the sedative nature of both, but boy does that phrase cause issues down the line. I can't tell you how many people it makes believe kava works in exactly the same way as benzodiazepines. Thank goodness for us, kavalactones do NOT work like xanax, or we'd be in big trouble when we tried to stop.

Kavalactones have no affinity for the benzodiazepine receptor site on the GABA-A complex (AKA: It CAN'T act as a benzo)

Other than that, good article. Thanks for sharing!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I get the whole analogy to Xanax due to the sedative nature of both, but boy does that phrase cause issues down the line. I can't tell you how many people it makes believe kava works in exactly the same way as benzodiazepines. Thank goodness for us, kavalactones do NOT work like xanax, or we'd be in big trouble when we tried to stop.

Kavalactones have no affinity for the benzodiazepine receptor site on the GABA-A complex (AKA: It CAN'T act as a benzo)

Other than that, good article. Thanks for sharing!
I have probably been guilty in the past of making the analogy because for me it'felt similar, and over a period of time you get the shield effect.

I know it's not the same, probably best I stray away from that analogy..

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I have probably been guilty in the past of making the analogy because for me it'felt similar, and over a period of time you get the shield effect.

If I said I had never uttered the phrase I'd be lying. I'll admit, it's catchy and does highlight the anxiety reduction properties of kava, just seems to confuse a few later on.

In the grand scheme of things it's not such a huge deal, especially when it makes people ask questions that go on to further their understanding of kava ;)

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur

My experience of kava is that it acts a lot like naproxen. It would be a terrible analogy for me to describe it to other people like that, but it is in fact how it works for me as an anti-inflammatory, but without ripping my stomach up in the way other anti-inflammatories would. Similarly, I spent a few years there using it as my main painkiller, but I would not describe it to others as a painkiller, even though that’s one of the things that it is to me.