What's new

Kava Science Input from Learned Forum Users?

Lenticels

AluNaw
This seems to be better researched than your garden-variety, tabloid-esque/schlock "articles," but it's definitely not perfect.

I'd just like to hear the input of well-versed forum members with a broader understanding of the literature on kava.

Last edited:

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
This seems to be better researched than ..
I gave up after the first paragraph, which claims:
high doses of kava may cause liver damage
EDIT: After posting this I decided to give it a second chance. I found this 2 or 3 paragraphs in:
Importantly, several cases of liver damage and even death from taking kava (possibly due to the presence of the root and stem peelings in the kava product, instead of only the peeled root) have been reported. For this reason and its potential for abuse, kava is banned in Europe, the UK, and Canada [1, 2].
This is debunked garbage. Also, kava isn't banned in Canada.

Also, I skimmed the rest of it and they don't seem to know that kava and kava extracts are not the same thing.

TL;DR: this is even worse than your "garden-variety, tabloid-esque/schlock articles", because it makes the same nonsense claims, but with a veneer of authority painted over those claims with the addition of some citations.

Last edited:

Lenticels

AluNaw
I gave up after the first paragraph, which claims:
high doses of kava may cause liver damage
EDIT: After posting this I decided to give it a second chance. I found this 2 or 3 paragraphs in:
Importantly, several cases of liver damage and even death from taking kava (possibly due to the presence of the root and stem peelings in the kava product, instead of only the peeled root) have been reported. For this reason and its potential for abuse, kava is banned in Europe, the UK, and Canada [1, 2].
Also, I skimmed the rest of it and they don't seem to know that kava and kava extracts are not the same thing.

This is debunked garbage. Also, kava isn't banned in Canada.

TL;DR: this is even worse than your "garden-variety, tabloid-esque/schlock articles", because it makes the same nonsense claims, but with a veneer of authority painted over those claims with the addition of some citations.
The liver refrain I immediately dismissed (I'd think it's a given at this point/not worth mentioning), but I skimmed the mechanisms of action and I thought (maybe still think?) they were/are researched decently-enough... but I'd like to see what others who have read more of the literature on kava have to say.

I also caught the ban blunder, too, but I put it on a mental back burner because I was/still am more interested in the pharmacological/dynamic claims here: purely mechanistically, it seems decent (based on my admittedly limited present understanding), but in terms of the effects that come about from said mechanisms of action, the article does seem to lack a good bit of knowledge on that, for sure... it seems to resort to the typical tabloid-esque circumscribing of the different effects as they are generally manifested. It's just missing the gamut of effects, cultivars, all of that, let alone the (more subjective) nuances in the exiguous "User Reviews" section.

I guess I should have clarified what I was asking for; I also really meant to say a "bit better researched" than outright "better," i.e., in order to better take into account the overall quality of the article, but neglected to do so.

I'm going to page @The Kap'n, if he'd be so kind to shed light on some of the niceties of this article, i.e., with respect to how well they represent the broader literature on kava pharmacology & pharmacodynamics.

Last edited:

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
The liver refrain I immediately dismissed (I'd think it's a given at this point/not worth mentioning), but I skimmed the mechanisms of action and I thought (maybe still think?) they were/are researched decently-enough... but I'd like to see what others who have read more of the literature on kava have to say.

I also caught the ban blunder, too, but I put it on a mental back burner because I was/still am more interested in the pharmacological/dynamic claims here: purely mechanistically, it seems decent (based on my admittedly limited present understanding), but in terms of the effects that come about from said mechanisms of action, the article does seem to lack a good bit of knowledge on that, for sure... it seems to resort to the typical tabloid-esque circumscribing of the different effects as they are generally manifested. It's just missing the gamut of effects, cultivars, all of that, let alone the (more subjective) nuances in the exiguous "User Reviews" section.

I guess I should have clarified what I was asking for; I also really meant to say a "bit better researched" than outright "better," i.e., in order to better take into account the overall quality of the article, but neglected to do so.

I'm going to page @The Kap'n, if he'd be so kind to shed light on some of the niceties of this article, i.e., with respect to how well they represent the broader literature on kava pharmacology & pharmacodynamics.
Regarding "pharmacological/mechanisms of actions" I note the references: the ones I cross referenced are right on with relevant , worthwhile information. Many of these same references contradict the article itself with respect to liver damage. That's the rub in my opinion with the article...when I see these blatant , false claims regarding liver, etc. it destroys any good the 2 plus years old article references and damages the reputation of kava. That said, based on the "comments" this article maybe did not have a huge following of avid, detail readers. In many ways it reminds me of the Black Night/Monty Python metaphor when all the good and valuable keeps getting torn away.

Lenticels

AluNaw
Regarding "pharmacological/mechanisms of actions" I note the references: the ones I cross referenced are right on with relevant , worthwhile information. Many of these same references contradict the article itself with respect to liver damage. That's the rub in my opinion with the article...when I see these blatant , false claims regarding liver, etc. it destroys any good the 2 plus years old article references and damages the reputation of kava. That said, based on the "comments" this article maybe did not have a huge following of avid, detail readers. In many ways it reminds me of the Black Night/Monty Python metaphor when all the good and valuable keeps getting torn away.
Well, I think that (to some extent, anyway) the folks who have bought into the liver scare aren't really "switched-on" with kava enough to begin with (and likely never will be), so be that as it may, I don't think this article necessarily "damages" the reputation of kava for people who're actually at least somewhat serious about getting into kava and try to critically evaluate what they read at least in some way.

All of the front-page results for kava-related searches are generally going to be more conspicuously (& brazenly) damaging, anyhow.

(And yes, I agree that the comments are surprisingly disappointing, particularly re that one fellow who thinks they had pain in their liver at some point... and then shamelessly admits to drinking kava alongside the use of something else, never mind how erroneously speculative they start out in their comment.)

Last edited:

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Some people just have no comprehension of basic stuff and think they should write an article. for example how do so many authors of these articles mix kava and kr@ up… 30 seconds on google would have cleared it up for them. At least nowadays that problem seems to be reduced. But it’s the same with kava vs extract or kavalactones… so many sites would say the max serving of kava in a day should be 300mg or something goofy like that. And those are the sites google promotes

Jack3

Kava Curious
I just saw this. What I remember is that there were less than 6 cases of liver problems. All these involved capsules that used the whole plant, not just the roots, and each of these people were on pharmaceuticals that harm the liver. I’m not great with details but I definitely don’t remember numerous cases. I remember reading about only a few.

Jack3

Kava Curious
This is what I find baffling about the article. They acknowledge that no evidence of long term liver damage is found among Aborigines, yet they don’t consider that there may be an important difference between traditionally prepared kava vs capsules or extracts.

They also don’t mention if these people had pre-existing liver problems or were taking other meds. There is a segment on drug interactions which I thought was good enough. After all, people on certain meds have to avoid grapefruit juice but there is no hysteria over grapefruit juice for the general population.

Everything has its risks. There are allergies or adverse or idiosyncratic reactions to anything that people consume. This is where I look for standards of comparison.

The article does mention that people are looking to kava as an alternative to alcohol or benzos but it does not compare the relative risks. I value transparency and I think it’s good to be cautious and thorough but at a certain point I see prejudice masquerading as empirical rigor. Kava is foreign so the risks are exaggerated while the risks of familiar things are ignored. Getting krunk sucks. The ataxia, double vision, and nausea are miserable, but it’s a far cry from the consequences of blacking out on benzos or alcohol. No waking up next to a stranger in bed or domestic violence with kava. Not even with the roughest tudei.

I have a broken collar bone from drinking 28g BKH Nambawan micro followed by another 26g probably about an hour after. I just waited for the double vision to go away and didn’t look at the clock. I’m very well acquainted with that risk but I suffer chronic illness, so I go after it harder than most. I don’t think I’ve ever read of anyone here ever going that far. All the same, I would wager that the injuries from accidents related to excess alcohol and benzos are far more common.

If our society supports methadone and suboxone as safer replacements for heroin, then why can’t we at least recognize kava as comparable in that respect? Can’t we say that at worst it is by
Of course, methadone and suboxone both have known lethal doses. I haven’t heard of any such thing so far with kava. Sometimes I wonder if these articles are written by people who own stock in pharmaceuticals.

I think something similar is at play regarding methadone/suboxone vs ibogaine/Iboga. Ibogaine/Iboga can be lethal, but even when administered in a clandestine fashion without a proper lab or trained staff, there are still fewer deaths from ibogaine than m/s, even though m/s are legal and dispensed by licensed clinics.

I say follow the money trail. IB only needs to be administered for one week at a time four times a year and people are staying clean for years after. M/s are taken daily for life—a LOT more profit there. Here we have greed dressed up like some concern for public safety.

A friend recently told me an off duty pilot tried to crash a plane while he was on mushrooms. I read the article and it turns out the guy ate mushrooms 48hours before the flight and hadn’t slept at all. Maybe mushrooms have some kind of hangover that is not related to he fact that many people take them at night and lose sleep, but I haven’t heard of anything with a hangover that lasts 40hours, except maybe the worst tudei. The guy had also recently lost a friend and had been suffering depression. Depression, grief and two days no sleep can warp anybody’s mind mushrooms or no mushrooms, but the article still emphasizes the mushrooms probably for click bait. Greed trumps journalistic integrity every time. Mushrooms have risks, to be sure, but airports serve alcohol and drinks are also served during flights. There is no rational way to equate the risks of even the most reckless use of mushrooms with alcohol. Alcohol is more likely to cause problems that are orders of magnitude worse. I’m not suggesting that airports should start serving mushrooms, but once again I want a reasonable standard of comparison for relative risks, but here again is a prejudice against something unusual and in favor of what is familiar.

It’s too bad that public policy is so heavily influenced by public perception which is so deeply uneducated and prejudiced while the media is driven by ratings and professionals who pose as caring experts are really just looking after their dividends.

The result is a lot of hoops to jump through and senseless restrictions or worse, injustices for people who could safely enjoy or may have legitimate medical needs for medicines that are unfairly stigmatized.

As much as it can help me to vent here, I do want to move toward the steadfast, yet relaxed kava vibes. There is no way to avoid the need for patience and tolerance. Kava doesn’t need me to be some kind of vigilante. People are clinically incapable of reason and empathy when they are scared so might as well relax and save my breath because no one will hear me anyway until they can calm down and I demonstrate that I am safe so we can have a supportive, educated dialogue rather than the brawls that spread like wildfire on social media stoking extremist polarization.

I’m still waiting for things to settle down enough to have a reasonable discussion about the events of the past few years. People have to be relaxed to integrate new facts especially if those facts challenge prevailing beliefs. It’s a shame, but I don’t see any way to catalyze this process.

Jack3

Kava Curious
[QUOTE="Jack3, post: If our society supports methadone and suboxone as safer replacements for heroin, then why can’t we at least recognize kava as comparable in that respect? Can’t we say that at worst it is by…”

far the lesser evil. I also failed to mention the deaths related to benzos. If it has never killed anyone, it’s got to be the safer option.