What's new

Instant Kava Processing

AndrewG

Kava Curious
Aloha everyone,

You know, 5 years ago I was exposed to instant. It was a newer thing in Vanuatu; now it seems to be coming up all over. Perhaps it's been around longer. I've tried a couple instant kava brands. Nothing beats fresh kava, but I am curious does anyone know how the instant kava is made? That's one thing they wouldn't show me in my research :). I presume after its ground into powder, it's freeze-dried? Yet it typically dissolves - is that because it's micronized?

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Aloha everyone,

You know, 5 years ago I was exposed to instant. It was a newer thing in Vanuatu; now it seems to be coming up all over. Perhaps it's been around longer. I've tried a couple instant kava brands. Nothing beats fresh kava, but I am curious does anyone know how the instant kava is made? That's one thing they wouldn't show me in my research :). I presume after its ground into powder, it's freeze-dried? Yet it typically dissolves - is that because it's micronized?
I think some companies just use a freeze dryer? That would be my best guess.
You can google freeze dryers. I found some that can freeze dry coffee so I assume
you could do the same with kava.

AndrewG

Kava Curious
I think some companies just use a freeze dryer? That would be my best guess.
You can google freeze dryers. I found some that can freeze dry coffee so I assume
you could do the same with kava.
I presumed its freeze dried but don't know if there are other methods, can it be done to already powdered kava or only to roots? Do they have to be fresh? Also, the dissolving aspect, I think it's micronized, which I also don't know much about.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
The idea with dehydrated kava instant), is that you prepere at large batch with kava it can be done with fresh or dry kava.

And then remove the water from it.

Elmanaro

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Kava Vendor
Aloha everyone,

Hey Andrew,

We make instant kava, it's made from dehydrating fresh kava juice. There are numerous methods to make it.

Check us out at elmanaro.com

AndrewG

Kava Curious
Very expensive machinery. Basically a big tank with heated air in it into which you spray kava. The water evaporates and by the time the particles hit the bottom of the tank, they're dry. AFAIK most powdered milk is made this way.
This is interesting, I assume a metal tank? Almost looks like a fire blowing setup?

AndrewG

Kava Curious
Hey Andrew,

We make instant kava, it's made from dehydrating fresh kava juice. There are numerous methods to make it.

Hey Andrew,

Tangkyu tumas, nice site and logo. Cool to see other cultivars as well. I am interested in the actual process of creating the instant.