What's new

Interesting Solomon's Islands chemotypes

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I've been getting some interesting Solomon's Islands kavas from Kava Depot recently. They have COA's for all their kavas and they make for interesting reading. Some of the wakas are around 16% KL's and tend to have one or two stand out KL's in the 5% region so you get a big punch of that. I quite like the headhunter's though as although it's not as strong it's a bit more balanced out so just nicely heavy. Has anyone else tried these?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Different batches are slightly different of course but most of the kastom laterals batches are around the 16% KL's with 5% Kavain and 5% DHK with a balance between the others. It gives you a big blast as you might expect of the kavain uplift and then the sledgehammer of the DHK builds behind it. It's interesting.

The gold is not quite as strong but again, you get a big hit of DHK with Kavain trailing a bit this time. It's a similar feel to the kastom but as you would expect, less of the kavain rush and more of the straight sledgehammer.

The headhunters is not as strong but still that big DHK punch and then a mix of the others. Overall I think I prefer the headhunters. I think they might be out of stock at the moment but stock comes and goes. They have other types too.

I like what they do, selling mostly in kilos. It's good for me, I have those three in stock on my site right now as well as the 100% vanuatu waka.

Attachments

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Im highly intrigued to hear about this vendor too. Surprised that i haven't before... Do they ship from usa and if not, where? I can't find that info anywhere.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I wish they had a sampler or something. There kava looks great and decent prices but 2.2 lbs is a lot of kava if it doesn't vibe with you.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I see what you mean. I sell it in 4 ounce bags but it'd be a lot in postage! I should look into it actually, how much it would be. Although my price reflects shipping it into the UK also so probably not going to work all round.

Palmetto

Thank God!
I finished 2 lbs of this last week. It was strong, but honestly, not my favorite, despite the strength. I'm not really a fan of most "Vanuatu style" 423xxx's. It was kinda heavy, but not exclusively heavy. It's good as a KL booster, if you have other powders to mix in for evening use, but I wouldn't want it to be my only kava on hand. But then, some people love Vanuatu style (even if it's not from Vanuatu).

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I've been getting some interesting Solomon's Islands kavas from Kava Depot recently. They have COA's for all their kavas and they make for interesting reading. Some of the wakas are around 16% KL's and tend to have one or two stand out KL's in the 5% region so you get a big punch of that. I quite like the headhunter's though as although it's not as strong it's a bit more balanced out so just nicely heavy. Has anyone else tried these?
Aren't Solomon varieties just transplanted Vanuatu varieties?
There was no or very little kava in Solo in the mid 90's when I used to visit, and I thought that people started planting cuttings from Vanuatu when they heard about the export boom after 2000?
So the chemotypes would/should correspond directly to well known Vanuatu varieties, probably the ever popular borongoru. Your review makes it sound right down my alley, but does the supplier make any reference to known strains from down south?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Aren't Solomon varieties just transplanted Vanuatu varieties?
There was no or very little kava in Solo in the mid 90's when I used to visit, and I thought that people started planting cuttings from Vanuatu when they heard about the export boom after 2000?
So the chemotypes would/should correspond directly to well known Vanuatu varieties, probably the ever popular borongoru. Your review makes it sound right down my alley, but does the supplier make any reference to known strains from down south?

No, nothing mentioned on the site I think. I would say some of them do feel a bit like a stone. The taste is milder than most Vanuatu kavas I've had. Would the different soil produce a different chemotype over time?

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
No, nothing mentioned on the site I think. I would say some of them do feel a bit like a stone. The taste is milder than most Vanuatu kavas I've had. Would the different soil produce a different chemotype over time?
Soil and a hotter and more humid climate would create a different chemotype over a long time for sure, but not a couple of decades. But mild tasting kava with Vanuatu effects - sounds like a winner..

Last edited: