What's new

News Article Interesting Story?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I like their insistence on noble kavas and their explanation of the multiple day effects (most of which is just the hangover, lol)

"Vanuatu Waka Kava" gave me a chuckle.

They are using hot water. I know your opinion on that :)

Identifies extracts as a source of contention and suggests to avoid. I like that.

The Kava Colada sounds like a good recipe for those that find it difficult to warm up to the taste of traditional kava.

The "Flowering Shrub" caught me though. It's my understanding that var. methysticum rarely if ever flower.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
There are only two "normal" items I might consider worse tasting than kava - black licorice and coconut. I can't even imagine mixing coconut taste with kava...but I am guessing my wife would love this.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I like their insistence on noble kavas and their explanation of the multiple day effects (most of which is just the hangover, lol)

"Vanuatu Waka Kava" gave me a chuckle.

They are using hot water. I know your opinion on that :)

Identifies extracts as a source of contention and suggests to avoid. I like that.

The Kava Colada sounds like a good recipe for those that find it difficult to warm up to the taste of traditional kava.

The "Flowering Shrub" caught me though. It's my understanding that var. methysticum rarely if ever flower.
Ha, you have it there! I was taken aback by flowering shrub.
The hot water is another point but overall it truly is a pretty good article.
Papa Kea appears to produce female flowers...also very, very rare.
Still no seed.

Skinskava

70-80 g to 1 Liter-Day Dreamer- My Roots Run Deep-
Ha, you have it there! I was taken aback by flowering shrub.
The hot water is another point but overall it truly is a pretty good article.
Papa Kea appears to produce female flowers...also very, very rare.
Still no seed.
Do you not like hot water extraction? If not is it because the flavor or something else. I alwYs use about 115 degrees

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Do you not like hot water extraction? If not is it because the flavor or something else. I alwYs use about 115 degrees
Rather than go into too much detail regarding hot vrs. cold water mix/strain/preparation, I could quote World health Organization and NIH or the discussions and comments when writing the Codex(1) Standards for kava. But a summary editorial in Journal of the American Medical Association in 2010- "...the traditional kava beverage is prepared by cold water extraction of its roots. Historic use shows that kava is safe under the strict control of the rituals of Pacific cultures. The traditional beverage is consumed on a daily basis without apparent adverse effects,...". Historic use is a phrase used in reference to "Noble Kavas" and preparation method all points to potable water from the tap.

(1) The Codex Alimentarius is a collection of international food standards, codes of practice, guidelines, and recommendations developed by the Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC) to protect the consumers' health and ensure fair practices in the food trade. The CAC was established by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations and the World Health Organization (WHO) in 1963, and today, it has more than 180 member countries and more than 200 intergovernmental and international nongovernmental organizations as observers. The Codex Alimentarius has become the global reference point for consumers, food producers, national food control agencies, and the international food trade.

Rather than go into too much detail regarding hot vrs. cold water mix/strain/preparation, I could quote World health Organization and NIH or the discussions and comments when writing the Codex(1) Standards for kava. But a summary editorial in Journal of the American Medical Association in 2010- "...the traditional kava beverage is prepared by cold water extraction of its roots. Historic use shows that kava is safe under the strict control of the rituals of Pacific cultures. The traditional beverage is consumed on a daily basis without apparent adverse effects,...". Historic use is a phrase used in reference to "Noble Kavas" and preparation method all points to potable water from the tap.

(1) The Codex Alimentarius is a collection of international food standards, codes of practice, guidelines, and recommendations developed by the Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC) to protect the consumers' health and ensure fair practices in the food trade. The CAC was established by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations and the World Health Organization (WHO) in 1963, and today, it has more than 180 member countries and more than 200 intergovernmental and international nongovernmental organizations as observers. The Codex Alimentarius has become the global reference point for consumers, food producers, national food control agencies, and the international food trade.
Do you think the Alu Ball falls under the Codex Standards for kava?