What's new

Intermittent headaches, dizziness, and 'cloudy' thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalmia_latifolia

Dad, scientist, gardener, living in the SE USA
Hey folks,

For about a month, I had low doses of kava nightly. Only once did I exceed 2 tbsp med grind (~5tbsp Damu from KWK, and I was krunk enough I forgot my jacket in an Uber!), and most nights I had on the order of 1 tbsp, or an equivalently low dose (2-3 kava candies or 1-2 tsp of instant, etc.). I found that I was pretty sensitive to larger doses of kava- even 2 tbsp med. grind left me with noticeable next day effects (lethargy, often a small headache). I really don't care about getting krunk, I'm into kava for the gentle relaxation at the end of a long day and would happily use small (50-200 mg kavalactones) daily if there were no side-effects.

I noticed, however, that I've had an intermittent mental 'fog' for the last couple of weeks. Most of the time, I feel fine, but occasionally I'll be sacked by mild vertigo, headaches, cloudy thinking, and lethargy. Caffeine makes it worse, especially if its on an empty stomach. I'm not sure if these effects are due to kava or something else going on in my life- allergies, some random bug picked up from my kids, etc. I had my last kava on Saturday night (chewed 0.6g of whole root, which, by the way, was surprisingly effective and tasted fine to me!), and the symptoms have persisted. I'm not going to take any more kava until they've cleared up, and then I'll see if they come back.

I've searched through the forums fairly carefully, and haven't seen anyone else report this set of symptoms. I'm not concerned enough to go to the doctor, the effects are relatively mild and are slowly getting better. But has anyone experienced, or heard of, similar symptoms from light kava use? If not, it certainly doesn't rule out an idiosyncratic reaction on my part to kava, but I'd love to know if this was a common side effect. Thanks!

Last edited:

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Have you stopped the black tea ?
I'm finding as I reintroduce tea I'm getting that if I have a lot of tea in the morning and then kava later on. But I never honestly noticed it till you said something so I'm not sure ..

kalmia_latifolia

Have you stopped the black tea ?
I'm finding as I reintroduce tea I'm getting that if I have a lot of tea in the morning and then kava later on. But I never honestly noticed it till you said something so I'm not sure ..
Nah- I have been drinking black tea for decades, so I can't really just stop cold turkey and expect to feel normal. I've cut back to 2-3 cups per morning, and wait til after eating to have my first cup. Seems to help, but I don't think the tea is the source of the issues.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I noticed, however, that I've had an intermittent mental 'fog' for the last couple of weeks. Most of the time, I feel fine, but occasionally I'll be sacked by mild vertigo, headaches, cloudy thinking, and lethargy. Caffeine makes it worse, especially if its on an empty stomach. I'm not sure if these effects are due to kava or something else going on in my life
these are classic, classic, cuh-LASSic symptoms of dehydration in a newbie kava drinker. Drink more water than you think you need to. Also, cut your coffee consumption by half. And probably only one cup of tea a day.

kalmia_latifolia

these are classic, classic, cuh-LASSic symptoms of dehydration in a newbie kava drinker. Drink more water than you think you need to. Also, cut your coffee consumption by half. And probably only one cup of tea a day.
That makes sense for next day effects, but I'm still feeling this way even after not taking any kava for 4 days. Also, my kava use last week was very low.

kalmia_latifolia

OK folks, since I'm both paranoid and have excellent health insurance, I decided to swing by the docs for a liver panel today. I'll report back my findings!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
That makes sense for next day effects, but I'm still feeling this way even after not taking any kava for 4 days. Also, my kava use last week was very low.
All that may be so but it can still be due to insufficient hydration. It won't cost anything much in terms of money or effort to simply drink more water for a bit and see if that clears up those symptoms.

I only say this because so many of us, naturally including myself, have experienced precisely what you have, and the cure for us was simply to drink more water.

kalmia_latifolia

I’ll give it a try! That would be a lovely fix!!

Just had blood drawn, printed out my review of kava’s safety to give to my doc. Haven’t had a chance to chat with him yet.

kalmia_latifolia

You can see my liver panel posted somewhere on here. I drink all day every day and it's all good here.
Yeah, I'm sure you're good. The data is compelling that for the vast majority of people, kava is harmless when consumed following best practices. It's still possible that for an unlucky few, however, they have an adverse reaction to even small amounts of it. I'm hoping my liver panel will rule out the latter for myself!

kalmia_latifolia

Got my results back- everything is looking super good. I got a full blood workup (nothing was outside the normal range), but the liver-specific part seems to be here:
upload_2017-12-5_14-26-32.png

When in doubt, collect some data. Needless to say I feel quite relaxed about taking kava now. And @Krunkie McKrunkface- I've tried going a week with no caffeine! I feel sluggish, but my energy is more stable throughout the day. Once I re-equilibrate, I think I'll be better off without it.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Got my results back- everything is looking super good. I got a full blood workup (nothing was outside the normal range), but the liver-specific part seems to be here:
View attachment 8654

When in doubt, collect some data. Needless to say I feel quite relaxed about taking kava now. And @Krunkie McKrunkface- I've tried going a week with no caffeine! I feel sluggish, but my energy is more stable throughout the day. Once I re-equilibrate, I think I'll be better off without it.
Those liver numbers look great!

You could just cut the caffeine way down, or at least, that worked for me. I went from 2 - 4 large cups of coffee a day to a single normal size cup, basically half the size of a large cup like what normal people drank when things were normal a long time ago. But I enjoy it 2 - 4 times as much so it evens out.

Oh yes, and I have much more energy since cutting down the caffeine but I think that's related to the weight loss and even better sleep I get with kava. I get a lot more done at home and at work.

Last edited:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hey folks,

For about a month, I had low doses of kava nightly. Only once did I exceed 2 tbsp med grind (~5tbsp Damu from KWK, and I was krunk enough I forgot my jacket in an Uber!), and most nights I had on the order of 1 tbsp, or an equivalently low dose (2-3 kava candies or 1-2 tsp of instant, etc.). I found that I was pretty sensitive to larger doses of kava- even 2 tbsp med. grind left me with noticeable next day effects (lethargy, often a small headache). I really don't care about getting krunk, I'm into kava for the gentle relaxation at the end of a long day and would happily use small (50-200 mg kavalactones) daily if there were no side-effects.

I noticed, however, that I've had an intermittent mental 'fog' for the last couple of weeks. Most of the time, I feel fine, but occasionally I'll be sacked by mild vertigo, headaches, cloudy thinking, and lethargy. Caffeine makes it worse, especially if its on an empty stomach. I'm not sure if these effects are due to kava or something else going on in my life- allergies, some random bug picked up from my kids, etc. I had my last kava on Saturday night (chewed 0.6g of whole root, which, by the way, was surprisingly effective and tasted fine to me!), and the symptoms have persisted. I'm not going to take any more kava until they've cleared up, and then I'll see if they come back.

I've searched through the forums fairly carefully, and haven't seen anyone else report this set of symptoms. I'm not concerned enough to go to the doctor, the effects are relatively mild and are slowly getting better. But has anyone experienced, or heard of, similar symptoms from light kava use? If not, it certainly doesn't rule out an idiosyncratic reaction on my part to kava, but I'd love to know if this was a common side effect. Thanks!
Short answer is yes - I have had many of these same symptoms. I am a daily drinker and on occasion I have gotten to the point where I have felt the same way. A night or two off (or longer if needed) can sometimes clear it up. Lots of water to help flush out the system also helps. More sleep was definitely needed in a few cases. As Henry mentioned I have had bad nights of sleep when I took even heavy kavas just before bedtime. I have also noticed certain strains can after a few days use make me feel a little "strung" out and more anxious...

Status
Not open for further replies.