What's new

Ironball/Stone in the bag

fueledbykava

Kava enthusiast
I actually just got my first mortar and pestle and used it to further break down the kava fibers for one last wash after doing the normal squeezing/kneading of medium grind in a bowl of water and definitely think it helped free up more kavalactones for extraction. This seems like a promising method as well given you will now have something very hard to squeeze against, rather than your own hand.

I've also messed with using a potato ricer to get a really good squeeze on the kava which also seemed to help, anecdotally, but I decided it wasn't having to keep rewashing the ricer every time! I feel like I almost need a butter churner for maximum kava squeezing!

Pauli

Kava Curious
I actually just got my first mortar and pestle and used it to further break down the kava fibers for one last wash after doing the normal squeezing/kneading of medium grind in a bowl of water and definitely think it helped free up more kavalactones for extraction. This seems like a promising method as well given you will now have something very hard to squeeze against, rather than your own hand.

I've also messed with using a potato ricer to get a really good squeeze on the kava which also seemed to help, anecdotally, but I decided it wasn't having to keep rewashing the ricer every time! I feel like I almost need a butter churner for maximum kava squeezing!
Thanks, sounds like a promising methode

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hi friends,
anyone tried following instead of aluball?

1) Put 3 Tablespoons Waka into cheescloth.
2) Add 1 heavy metallball or Stone into the cheesecloth
3) close tightly
4) put into shaker and shake
I now regularly do this without the metal ball and it works quite well. I call it the alubag method. 8 TBS in the strainer, tie it tight or use a rubberband, shake and pour. Just as strong as kneading.

Precipitated

Kava Curious
I now regularly do this without the metal ball and it works quite well. I call it the alubag method. 8 TBS in the strainer, tie it tight or use a rubberband, shake and pour. Just as strong as kneading.
It's a good idea to use a rubber band to close the strainer, I will try it next time I make some. Recently I have just put the kava plainly to the shaker and used the strainer to strain it out after shaking. It works very well like this, but your approach seems easier.