What's new

Is Reverse Tolerance Physiological or Psychological?

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
After drinking Kava steadily for a while now, it seems like I've hit reverse tolerance. I can get by on 4 tbsp sessions no problem and to drink more just feels slightly uncomfortable. But I'm wondering, is RT more of a mental thing or physical thing ( in your case)? For me it seems like Kava has taught me to appreciate and listen to myself when I drink, and its like I become aware I don't really need the extra Kava. I would like to drink more sometimes, and Im sure I could, but I'm wondering if its just a mental block I've developed from drinking so much lately. I wonder if its more the mentality of taking things slow and listening to the kava that causes RT than the actual physical response of the body

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I think it's physiological, for the mere fact that there's no precedent for it.
It's the only thing I know of botanically that operates that way, so anyone exploring it would not have the pre-conceived mind-set to set themselves up for the RT effects.
I could be wrong. I don't claim to be absolute on this. So feel free to disagree.

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
Thats a good point, that somebody not knowing about RT could still experience it. The only thing is it could be more of a subconscious thing.. maybe you dont need a preconceived mindset. Just saying that because a lot of things kava has fixed for me has been on a subconscious level

ThatDankK

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿
The way RT works is sort of like the way most SSRI's/antidepressants work. As time goes on, they build in your system as you require smaller amounts to achieve the desired effect (although you don't dose down with SSRI's). Im thinking the way kavalactones store themselves in your body may also be similar to the way THC stores itself - in your fat cells, because KL's are fat soluble, which would mean they stay in your system for longer; but I could be wrong about that second part

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
I think theirs two types.

The "feel anything" reverse tolerance I believe is real. I don't think you are "tuned in" enough to feel the effects in the same way as other substances in the first few times you try it.

However, I believe the more often you use it the more it "lingers" like TheDankK said.

I would use the example that us long termers don't really feel the numbing effect even after months of ceasing from daily usage from it it doesn't "reset" I have never felt my tounge as numb as in the first first weeks lol.

All In all, I don't know what the fuck I am talking about.