What's new

Kava, adrenal fatigue and Leaky Gut Syndrome

Blimpie

Kava Curious
I have adrenal fatigue and leaky gut syndrome, and I was wondering if I should continue to drink kava while attempting to heal my insides with a restricted diet and bentonite clay. Thanks for any advice you can give me! ::simplecontentz::

D

Deleted User01

Ditto, what Nemo said. People sometime feel stomach discomfort with Kava and with leaky gut syndrome you sure don't want to aggravate anything. We all need a break from kava now and so there is your break. Good luck with the other stuff and be patient.

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
Maybe a Paradise Kava extract would be a good alternative as it would avoid the gut? You would probably still want to play it safe and seek out a medical professionals thoughts on it though.

Blimpie

Kava Curious
Hello and thank you for your replies! It does seem like a good idea to put kava away while dealing with these issues. I have actually been kava-less for a while now, thinking that I need to heal my gut before I start drinking it again...I have this dream that one day, through detoxing and a noninflammatory diet, that I will be free of anxiety/depression/panic and chronic pain ( the problems that led me to seek out kava ). I doubt it is that simple, though. And I am sure that no matter what happens, I will bring kava back into my life; it is so positive! (In contrast with alcohol, which used to be my method of "controlling" the aforementioned problems.)
Kavadude, I am currently my own doctor...I was on fluoxetine for two years, and then I stopped that, and discovered that my mental problems diminished significantly just by cutting out gluten,...and then all grains....why didn't the doctor clue me in to this? I have had success with some other holistic healing methods, and I found all my info on the internet! :happy: So I am just reading a lot and using my common sense and seeing what works. I guess I should have originally written, " I have reason to strongly believe I have leaky gut syndrome and adrenal fatigue " ! Because I really don't know for certain. But I am pretty darned sure, from what I have read.

Anyhow, thanks again for your replies! And thanks for all the kava information in general! This forum has been so helpful and has such a positive vibe! (y)

KavaCat

Meow.
I am currently my own doctor
:shifty:
I love this forum, and I try to be part of the positive vibe, but... all the symptoms of adrenal fatigue are symptoms of many other diseases which could be much more serious. Like diabetes. Or lupus, menopause, the early stages of cancer, or just your depression becoming worse because you've decided to discontinue your antidepressant therapy. And other things I can't think of off the top of my head. Is there a reason that you are unwilling to see a real doctor for a diagnosis? I'm quite interested in herbs and natural medicine myself, but you can't do blood screens and urinalysis with Google search. If you want to know what's going on in your glands, you have to give blood and pee to a lab and let them look at it. Sorry if that's not good-vibey enough for you, but I think that's pretty much what most of us are insinuating when we say "Who diagnosed you?" and "You should be under medical supervision". Diagnosing yourself purely with the internet isn't something you should be proud of. You can use it to help you out, so you can save your doc some footwork, especially for troublesome cases, but the internet it isn't a replacement for a doctor.
You def. shouldn't be asking for medical advice, from random people on the internet, who have no medical background, on forums that have nothing to do with medicine.

Last edited:

violet

Do all things with love
Sometimes you gotta work with what you've got.

While adrenal insufficiency/fatigue is very real and probably more common then people realize, it's an infrequent diagnosis made my mainstream doctors in the US. To properly diagnose it usually requires cortisol sampling sampling through saliva taken throughout the day. I think the mainstream doctor that takes adrenal insufficiency as a serious condition to be treated is a rare gem. Alternative practitioners are often very expensive and don't bill insurance.

@Blimpie I'm glad you were able to find a difference in yourself after getting off of gluten and grains. If you haven't read it already, Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis is very eye-opening and informative. It's pretty popular and probably at your local library. Beyond that book, I know I have seen a study that showed that even normal, healthy people had reactions indicative of intestinal damage to eating wheat, even though they didn't feel it. It was the same kinds of issues celiacs experience, but at a lesser magnitude. I know many people who have healed from severe leaky gut by cutting out all grains, certain fibers, and certain foods.

Anyone that has a leaky gut probably has some absorption issues, so there is always the issue of addressing important imbalances. Many people are deficient in D3, which works very much like a master hormone. D3 deficiency can severely affect neurotransmitters, the endocrine system, and HPA function. Anyone supplementing with D3 should also consider its co-factors, magnesium (chelated) and K2.

I am very much a proponent of "being one's own doctor," within certain limits. For many health conditions, I think you need to be working as a team with your doctor to get well. But no one will ever know your own body as well as yourself, and sometimes you have be your own n=1 in order to get to know your body properly. It's much easier to get better if you know your body well enough to say if something is working or not, whether it's prescribed allopathic or self-treatment.

Not trying to knock mainstream doctors, but many times allopathic treatment for something is more harmful than the condition itself and only allows the treatment to progressively worsen (other times it is very much needed!). Mild adrenal insufficiency can often be corrected by changes to diet and lifestyle and adding mild adaptogenic herbs after that if needed. These types of changes can often improve one's health whether they have the condition or not.

While I'm throwing my opinions, I think that diet is very, very key. If you are eating things that cause havoc to your immune system (can be delayed and very subtle) or the wrong macronutrient ratios you won't be able to use many supplements very well nor will you ever get close to wellness. I think everyone should eat to a blood sugar meter, at least for a little while. And I think having a good (great) GP is really important.

To echo KavaCat above, you should definitely get a full blood work-up and exam to rule anything out. Voice your concerns to your doctor, as adrenal insufficiency and leaky gut in their more severe forms are very, very dangerous. If everything is "normal," then awesome. I would say experiment away, as long as you are doing benign things that normal healthy people use without detriment on a regular basis. Keep up with regular blood work to check your progress. Know what any possible risks might be. If you can afford a holistic practitioner for treatment then super. But also know there really are many things that masquerade as others with seemingly benign symptoms, so it is always good work in concert with your GP. As mentioned above, not sure that drinking kava is a good idea if you have a leaky gut.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Sometimes you gotta work with what you've got.

While adrenal insufficiency/fatigue is very real and probably more common then people realize, it's an infrequent diagnosis made my mainstream doctors in the US. To properly diagnose it usually requires cortisol sampling sampling through saliva taken throughout the day. I think the mainstream doctor that takes adrenal insufficiency as a serious condition to be treated is a rare gem. Alternative practitioners are often very expensive and don't bill insurance.

@Blimpie I'm glad you were able to find a difference in yourself after getting off of gluten and grains. If you haven't read it already, Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis is very eye-opening and informative. It's pretty popular and probably at your local library. Beyond that book, I know I have seen a study that showed that even normal, healthy people had reactions indicative of intestinal damage to eating wheat, even though they didn't feel it. It was the same kinds of issues celiacs experience, but at a lesser magnitude. I know many people who have healed from severe leaky gut by cutting out all grains, certain fibers, and certain foods.

Anyone that has a leaky gut probably has some absorption issues, so there is always the issue of addressing important imbalances. Many people are deficient in D3, which works very much like a master hormone. D3 deficiency can severely affect neurotransmitters, the endocrine system, and HPA function. Anyone supplementing with D3 should also consider its co-factors, magnesium (chelated) and K2.

I am very much a proponent of "being one's own doctor," within certain limits. For many health conditions, I think you need to be working as a team with your doctor to get well. But no one will ever know your own body as well as yourself, and sometimes you have be your own n=1 in order to get to know your body properly. It's much easier to get better if you know your body well enough to say if something is working or not, whether it's prescribed allopathic or self-treatment.

Not trying to knock mainstream doctors, but many times allopathic treatment for something is more harmful than the condition itself and only allows the treatment to progressively worsen (other times it is very much needed!). Mild adrenal insufficiency can often be corrected by changes to diet and lifestyle and adding mild adaptogenic herbs after that if needed. These types of changes can often improve one's health whether they have the condition or not.

While I'm throwing my opinions, I think that diet is very, very key. If you are eating things that cause havoc to your immune system (can be delayed and very subtle) or the wrong macronutrient ratios you won't be able to use many supplements very well nor will you ever get close to wellness. I think everyone should eat to a blood sugar meter, at least for a little while. And I think having a good (great) GP is really important.

To echo KavaCat above, you should definitely get a full blood work-up and exam to rule anything out. Voice your concerns to your doctor, as adrenal insufficiency and leaky gut in their more severe forms are very, very dangerous. If everything is "normal," then awesome. I would say experiment away, as long as you are doing benign things that normal healthy people use without detriment on a regular basis. Keep up with regular blood work to check your progress. Know what any possible risks might be. If you can afford a holistic practitioner for treatment then super. But also know there really are many things that masquerade as others with seemingly benign symptoms, so it is always good work in concert with your GP. As mentioned above, not sure that drinking kava is a good idea if you have a leaky gut.
I have to echo what violet said. I feel she was spot on with her advice. I would add to it, if I could. But I feel she layed it all out perfect. I too am a firm believer in taking charge of my own health. But its good to get everything double checked with all the lab tests. I think you have been given some great advice. Hope your health issues get resolved. I feel I'm in a similar situation. Also I am coming off a lot of addictive drugs, and have struggled with that. I'm currently tapering off valium, which is not a whole lot of fun. I have had awful digestive issues, and many other side effects, because of my decision to be drug free, and healthy. So far, I feel kava has helped tremendously. Although it gives me the farts, soft stools, Dermopathy, and the occasional upset stomach. Much love. Roaddog....

KavaCat

Meow.
I'd also be concerned, as sort of an afterthought, that if you actually do have adrenal fatigue, that if the underlying cause is chronic stress, discontinuing your use of kava could make it worse.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I'd also be concerned, as sort of an afterthought, that if you actually do have adrenal fatigue, that if the underlying cause is chronic stress, discontinuing your use of kava could make it worse.
I think Omega-3 phatty acids, are supos to help with that. Much love. Roaddog....

Blimpie

Kava Curious
::simplecontentz::Hello all, sorry for taking so long to respond. I appreciate all the input! I want to start by stating that I agree with you; I would love to get some testing done and have supervision, preferably with a naturopath. And now, the circumstances of my life have changed, I have some new responsibilities, and there is no way I can stop to heal myself; adrenal healing would require cutting caffeine out of my life, and coffee is pretty much the only thing that keeps me upright, these days. So until the projects come to a close, I am going to push forward, fatigue or not. Kava is going to play an important role in keeping me from freaking out as I battle the adversaries while maintaining a cheery outlook. Hopefully, a few months from now, I'll have accomplished the necessary tasks, AND will have the extra money for tests and other things that will make the "Healing Session" more effective and efficient. It's a strain, for sure, but I have no choice.

Thank you all for the good advice, and taking the time to respond!
@Roaddog, best wishes for your recovery, also!
@KavaCat, No worries about good-vibeyness! I am a straightforward person, and I appreciate straightforward anwsers! Yes, whatever ails me most likely comes from stress. It's not an emergency yet, thank Goodness.
I would like to add that removing gluten from my diet, and making some other dietary changes, has helped me more than Fluoxetine ever did! I'm sure Prozac and its generics help some people, but I do not personally recommend it!
@Violet,Thanks for the book recommendation! and your other sage advice!
@Piper Methysticum,@Deleted User01,@KavaPig , thanks to you too!

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Dr. Wilson, who wrote the book on Adrenal Fatigue, says to avoid sedatives and stimulants.

With adrenal fatigue, we have two serious problems. First, there is the questionable existence of Adrenal Fatigue. I've been diagnosed with it by two people, a chiropractor and a functional medicine doctor. The second is whether you're better off with or without it.

The question I would have is if there's a cause for your adrenal fatigue, and if kava would help this. I hate to ask. The answer could very well be, "yes, my mother was violently dismembered in front of my very eyes by psychotic Laplanders, and now I'm typing while curled up into a fetal position and sobbing uncontrollably, you royal bastard!" If it is anything remotely like PTSD, you're better off telling yourself the truth just this once and then lying to yourself. Tell yourself that you're engaging in drug-seeking behavior, that you're honoring your South Pacific heritage, that you're looking for a healthier alternative to alcohol, that it makes music awesome. Tell yourself whatever you need to tell yourself to avoid thinking about the Laplanders.

Kava hasn't helped my adrenal fatigue. For that, I'd need a year-long sabbatical to just clean and study and maybe even deal with my PTSD issues. I can't take a year-long sabbatical. I need to drag myself through each day as it comes to me, and the best thing for me to be is krunk.

Blimpie

Kava Curious
Hello @Prince Philip. I agree, whatever this thing is, be it adrenal fatigue or otherwise, would take many months to heal, and like you, I cannot take a sabbatical right now.

Kava creates a 'safety shield', kind of like a secret treehouse, where I can go to forget about the unacceptable aspects of life, and focus on work. I HAVE TO work. There is no time for being derailed by despair and panic. Work is the only thing that can possibly get my life to a better place, and kava puts a smile in my heart so I can be more productive and move faster to a better future.

About PTSD: I have read good things about EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques), TRE (Tension and Trauma Release Exercises), and even Svaroopa yoga might help...I have not seriously tried any of these yet, but they are all on my "To Do List". Transcendental Meditation might help too, but for me, it brought too much to the surface too fast, and I was not ready for that.

I have sympathy concerning the PTSD. The best thing I can say is, I am happy and thankful to be joining you in the land of krunkness! ::happyshell::

Last edited:
K

KekeBabes

I have adrenal fatigue and leaky gut syndrome, and I was wondering if I should continue to drink kava while attempting to heal my insides with a restricted diet and bentonite clay. Thanks for any advice you can give me! ::simplecontentz::
Have you ever healed your leaky gut? If so please share your remedies

Skinskava

70-80 g to 1 Liter-Day Dreamer- My Roots Run Deep-
Try chlorella before you breakfast and papya enzymes digestion capsules after ur meals.i had similar issues