What's new

Kava + alcohol (within 12 - 24 hours, not at the same time)

Delicate Drunk

Kava Curious
I've edited the post to add more. There is enough evidence there to suggest that it's a bad idea.
Thanks for the additional links. There is nothing conclusive in any of those sources that clearly says kava potentiates the harmful effects of alcohol on the liver, for the average healthy human. And simply because scientists have been trying to determine whether alcohol does behave badly with kava, does not mean it is time to worry. Studies are done all the time that scare people, then 90 percent of the time for any given study it seems the results of the study are refuted or challenged. This is one of those cases where the science is still too young for me to personally make any decisive conclusion, but if you look at the politics behind the whole thing you will find why kava got banned, and why it has suddenly become so intensely studied. I think basically you might call it a witch hunt.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Well I guess it is up to us to show kava drinkers how to take kava responsibly. That all we need ... some kid wrecks his car and damages people. Then he says, "I only had 2 beers but I drank a buttload of Kava at Bula Kava House". Now, which drug is going to get blamed for the wreck? I'll give you one guess. Anyway, you'all partiers can mix them if you want. I do kava to avoid alcohol because I consider it way safer than alcohol and waaaayyyyyyy more conducive to sleeping. I do have my alcohol days but I ain't gonna mix them. Oh, and I don't drink wimpy beer either. I guess I can see someone drinking a bud lite after a kava session.
Ok, now leave me alone while I do some Kava and have a few 16 year old single malt scotches on the rocks. Hmmmm, it shor' is relaxin'.:eek:
::frosty:: You'all partiers be sure to mention me in your will. That's Frosty the Zombie Snowman. No relation to the christmas guy. Talk about a fruit loop.
We always advise against mixing at Bula.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
From your source:
"It remains to be determined whether kava usage can potentiate the hepatotoxic risk of other medications or hepatotoxins, such as alcohol consumption."
So it's a good idea to take the chance? I've got nothing against anyone mixing whatever drugs they want to mix but I know I'll be sticking to one or the other on the same day. This strikes me as similar to the tudei debate. "Tudei has potential for horrible side effects and used long term MIGHT cause other problems such as liver damage." "Oh well, nothing conclusive there then, let's all drink tudei."

D

Deleted User01

I hope you guys aren't all waiting for the Federal Gov to come out with new research about kava. Ain't gonna happen. The Feds don't do research or supply money for MJ research nor do they encourage research of kava. We are damn lucky the feds having banned Kava but the "good people" in the House and Senate don't see that as a "hot button" that gets votes. Maybe Hawaii will come out with something new now and then but they still don't have the "big fed bucks" to do it conclusively. Plus there still isn't enough of a population sample (in the U.S.) to provide conclusive evidence. So without the "big bucks", you ain't gonna get any "new and exciting" information about kava. So we are left to sharing our experiences by word of mouth and a few articles like the one posted by @kavadude. And of course, we are back to relying on good old fashioned common sense that says, "Don't mix your Drugs".

GussWest

Kava Enthusiast
DD, what are your drinking habits?

Remember 1/3 of the liver can be destroyed before enzymes are elevated.

If you are a chronic drinker you might consider an ultrasound.

I've learned a lot after my recent diagnosis of ASH.

Delicate Drunk

Kava Curious
DD, what are your drinking habits?

Remember 1/3 of the liver can be destroyed before enzymes are elevated.

If you are a chronic drinker you might consider an ultrasound.

I've learned a lot after my recent diagnosis of ASH.
Don't worry about me Gusswest, but thank you so much for your concerns. I think you are the only person on the internet who really cares about me. But I think it's too late now. My addiction has spiraled out of control and Gin and Kavas are all that gets me through anymore. If I have to give that up, I might as well be dead. So I am not gonna go to the doctor, and I just hope to God that the scientists theories are all wrong. God bless you for caring though. Aloha, I will talk to you all later. Perhaps in the next life. Keep on kavaing!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Don't worry about me Gusswest, but thank you so much for your concerns. I think you are the only person on the internet who really cares about me. But I think it's too late now. My addiction has spiraled out of control and Gin and Kavas are all that gets me through anymore. If I have to give that up, I might as well be dead. So I am not gonna go to the doctor, and I just hope to God that the scientists theories are all wrong. God bless you for caring though. Aloha, I will talk to you all later. Perhaps in the next life. Keep on kavaing!
Lol, don't worry, once I've had enough kava I care about everyone! We're just all suggesting it's probably not a good idea to mix the two. Won't definitely kill you. But might :)

RigidMayonaise

Kava Curious
I would say better safe than sorry and wait 24 hours just in case, but before I became a regular kava drinker I would drink a beer or 2 after a couple shells, I would say limit alcohol consumed with kava to beer not liquor

Steve

Ozia - KavaKava Candy
Kava Vendor
Dr. Amy Brown did a study out here in Hawaii on alcohol and kava use. Essentially the synergistic effect observed in brain tissue penetration suggests that ingestion of other drugs like alcohol may affect the concentration of kavalactones in the brain. Drinking Kava with alcohol may also increase alcoholic effects. With this being said, common side effects of alcohol such as vomiting and drowsiness may occur more readily if consumed together....

To be honest I know plenty of islanders who really enjoy their kava + beer + kava + beer + ukulele + water + kava + beer + kava + beer + ukulele + water No judgement...but a fun party nonetheless! Not saying it is the best thing to do (if we are purely looking at the science) but neither is drinking just a 12 pack throughout the night.

Cassie

Dr. Amy Brown did a study out here in Hawaii on alcohol and kava use. Essentially the synergistic effect observed in brain tissue penetration suggests that ingestion of other drugs like alcohol may affect the concentration of kavalactones in the brain. Drinking Kava with alcohol may also increase alcoholic effects. With this being said, common side effects of alcohol such as vomiting and drowsiness may occur more readily if consumed together....

To be honest I know plenty of islanders who really enjoy their kava + beer + kava + beer + ukulele + water + kava + beer + kava + beer + ukulele + water No judgement...but a fun party nonetheless! Not saying it is the best thing to do (if we are purely looking at the science) but neither is drinking just a 12 pack throughout the night.
I know this is an old post but do you still feel this way? You think it's better to have a day of kava with two or three beers as opposed to just a bunch of beers all day?