What's new

Kava Physiology Kava and ADHD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krunkonaut

The life of a kavaholic
I've been drinking kava for a couple of years now. I originally started using kava as an alternative for Xanax which was prescribed for my panic/anxiety disorder. I only wanted to use Xanax for real emergencies such as panic attacks since back then they were occurring about twice a week and I didn't want to take it more than twice a week, surely at an age of 16. Having kava to relieve the immense stress I was under during the week felt amazing since I was feeling detached from reality because of it. I just recently realized everything that all of my anxiety is based on my ADHD. I'm highly sensitive but also need to find stimulation and my brain just never shuts up so having something that can wash my physical anxiety away, shut up my brain, makes me learn to appreciate and just be in the moment is something I can never express my gratitude to. I see kava as something that reconnects me to my body and the earth. It truly has helped me grow, has learned me a lot about self-reflection and self-care. Because kava has made me more grounded I could finally reclaim the attention stolen by my brain which was fed to the thousands of endless chaotic thoughts and put it in good use for the moment. It makes me more connected to my surroundings and friends which I can often forget.

Long term use of kava has learned me a lot to deal with my adhd. It hasn't fixed it but it has given me handles I can hold on to. The funny thing is, kava makes my adhd skyrocket the day after because of the after effects. The effects of kava differ a lot as well, even between really heady kava's. Some kava's can stop my adhd like it never even existed. Heavy or heavy/heady kava's which don't stimulate me help me to relax, reflect on myself/ day... I'll be just listening to some music and scrolling through Reddit/ Kavaforums or watching something lowkey and be with my feet on the ground in the moment, letting the long day with all that has happened wash away. With heady kava's just pulling a string of a guitar can be so stimulating I can enjoy every single thing so much which is really rare for me, it's hard to concentrate because my mind feels so blank and the only thing I am is here physically enjoying the moment, so reading is a no go because that requires thinking and at that point I'm just completely out of my head, it has learned me to appreciate the little things in life. The weird thing is, other heady kava's can make my adhd really bad. Kava's that make my adhd bad, force me to seek dopamine stimulation, so relaxing and watching something lowkey won't be a good kava experience. Nothing stimulates me and finding something that does stimulate me is a long journey. Youtube video's that are too long, without music, are not chaotic enough, don't stimulate my senses/emotions me, etc... are not good enough. I'm just everything but in the moment during that session.
Luckily there only have been a few kava's that had a bad effect on my adhd, the rest of them have all been more than amazing!
I was wondering if anybody has similar experiences or totally different or has more information on this because it fascinates me a lot.

Bula!!::happyshell::

Krunkonaut

The life of a kavaholic
Do you know which kava makes it worse and which have helped and can share.

Koodos btw. Kava definitely can help be present
My recent purchase was with cactuskava and I love their ono (423156) it helps me the most and the feeling is just amazing, their Eva(423615,) as well but I have encountered a few times that it made it worse, probably also depends on how I've been feeling that day. The loa lawena makes it worse, I've had a few good sessions but not too many. (426351). I haven't looked into their chemotype yet, but I will be looking if there is a correlation between some effects being more prominent and my reaction on it.

Slacker007

Dude my ADHD is bad too, I was recently put on Xanax for my anxiety which originally was caused by my ADHD and not being treated for it. But now is super situational anxiety all kids of crap going on in my life that is beyond Chaotic. I just made my way back to Kava after about a year, don’t know much about the chemotypes but this Kavafied Tonga is doing it for me tonight! I’ll be experimenting with some from all the Growers here on the forum. Maybe we could compare notes for the different chemos as I get further into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.