What's new

Kava and antibiotics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
Hello all, I've just been prescribed a 10 day run of doxycycline for a sinus infection. Information online regarding interactions between kava and doxycycline are inconclusive. Does anyone know if this is a safe mix? I'd lean towards giving up kava to be on the safe side but 10 days! That's a long time to go kava free :(

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I had a run of doxycycline for a case of gastroenteritis (They couldn't give me the better ones on account that I'm allergic to penicillin) I drank kava on and off during it. It didn't seem to cause any adverse effects, but then again the gastroenteritis was as close to actually living in hell as I've personally experienced, so I may have failed to see any side effects from the two. I guess what I can say is that it didn't make my situation any more painful.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply Kapm. I'll hold off until I'm done with the acetaminophen but may have a few shells when I'm down to just the doxycycline. I did ask the doc and pharmacist about this and they had no idea.

violet

Do all things with love
Kava is an enzyme inhibitor and doxycycline is a slight inducer, if anything imbibing kava might let the doxy hang around a little longer. I too have consumed kava while on doxy with no noticeable interactions, but everyone is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.