What's new

Kava and CBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Anybody use CBD along with Kava? They seem to share a lot of the same medicinal values (anti-anxiety, anti-inflammation, etc.) and would do so by different mechanisms and could complement each other pretty well.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Anybody use CBD along with Kava? They seem to share a lot of the same medicinal values (anti-anxiety, anti-inflammation, etc.) and would do so by different mechanisms and could complement each other pretty well.
I know someone who does, and that seems to be their experience.

I get the impression that CBD seems to work extremely well for some people and then for others not do quite so much. Then, also, there is a RTwith CBD for most (not all), about 2 weeks usually.

But for people who enjoy kava and find it therapeutic, and are receptive to CBD, it can be really good for them, especially in the areas of anxiety, physical healing, calmness, and general feeling of well-being, which is not something to sneeze at, I might add.

Luckily, CBD oil, and gummy bears and such, is now legal in Michigan, so I hope many will benefit, but it is extremely expensive, and of course not covered under insurance, unfortunately, because that means a lot of people who would benefit greatly won’t have that option.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I know someone who does, and that seems to be their experience.

I get the impression that CBD seems to work extremely well for some people and then for others not do quite so much. Then, also, there is a RTwith CBD for most (not all), about 2 weeks usually.

But for people who enjoy kava and find it therapeutic, and are receptive to CBD, it can be really good for them, especially in the areas of anxiety, physical healing, calmness, and general feeling of well-being, which is not something to sneeze at, I might add.

Luckily, CBD oil, and gummy bears and such, is now legal in Michigan, so I hope many will benefit, but it is extremely expensive, and of course not covered under insurance, unfortunately, because that means a lot of people who would benefit greatly won’t have that option.
Interesting. Do any of the folks you know take it along with kava or are they just taking CBD?
The legal position of CBD looks pretty murky right now, especially full-spectrum CBD and of course if you are drug tested for any reason you run the risk of failing. It seems less likely if you get an isolated version, but it appears the cost goes up and you might also lose some benefit.
I anticipate as it becomes more legalized across the country (both CBD and THC in general) I would expect the cost to come down as more manufactures take the plunge. Have to get over that hump first...

lonnyzone

Kava Enthusiast
I rarely use CBD and Kava at the same time, but when I do it's definitely a noticeably more intense feeling than with either alone. They seem to synergize extremely well. Reminds me that I need to brush up on how exactly CBD works so that I can come up with hairbrained theories on why that's the case.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I rarely use CBD and Kava at the same time, but when I do it's definitely a noticeably more intense feeling than with either alone. They seem to synergize extremely well. Reminds me that I need to brush up on how exactly CBD works so that I can come up with hairbrained theories on why that's the case.
Possibly this:

CBD-drug interactions

Cytochrome P450-complex enzymes
This paragraph describes CBD interaction with general (drug)-metabolizing enzymes, such as those belonging to the cytochrome P450 family. This might have an effect for coadministration of CBD with other drugs.7 For instance, CBD is metabolized, among others, via the CYP3A4 enzyme. Various drugs such as ketoconazol, itraconazol, ritonavir, and clarithromycin inhibit this enzyme.11 This leads to slower CBD degradation and can consequently lead to higher CBD doses that are longer pharmaceutically active. In contrast, phenobarbital, rifampicin, carbamazepine, and phenytoin induce CYP3A4, causing reduced CBD bioavailability.11 Approximately 60% of clinically prescribed drugs are metabolized via CYP3A4.1 Table 1 shows an overview of the cytochrome inhibiting potential of CBD. It has to be pointed out though, that the in vitro studies used supraphysiological CBD concentrations.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5569602/

mzii

Kava Curious
I love this combo. Some definite synergy, and since CBD is non-psychoactive and doesn’t have noticeable effects of its own, it just sort of enhances the effects of kava without drastically altering them. I also credit CBD for allowing me to drink kava again since I developed an allergic reaction to it. Something about the anti-inflammatory effects of the CBD seems to have neutralized the reaction I was getting. It’s pretty amazing stuff, at least for me it has been.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.