What's new

Kava Physiology Kava and Dehydration

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
I drink kava somewhat weaker than most people. This means I'm actually ingesting quite a lot of fluid during a typical session. Does this reduce the risk of dehdyration? Or, when you drink kava is it always a case of "more goes out than comes in" therefore, you will get dehydrated regardless?

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
I drink kava somewhat weaker than most people. This means I'm actually ingesting quite a lot of fluid during a typical session. Does this reduce the risk of dehdyration? Or, when you drink kava is it always a case of "more goes out than comes in" therefore, you will get dehydrated regardless?
More water with your kava would certainly be better than less in terms of hydration. I drink at least a gallon of spring water a day, have for years. btw the folks here having issues with dermopathy should really try taking fish oil. I've never had the least problem with this, I take Nordic Naturals Omega 3 gels. https://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Retailers/Why_Omega-3s/577 . You can get this at your local health food store or get some fish oil from walmart etc. Fish oil is known for being impure heavy metals etc.; our oceans are so polluted. If you want the Nordic from Norway let me know and I'll get it to you at wholesale if you'll cover shipping

Last edited:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Funny there @Noueky , I use something similar. I have been using Omega-3 Krill oil. I take it instead of fish oil, because I hate the fish oil burps. Much love. Roaddog...

ApéroNoble

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISH OIL AND KRILL OIL?

Several companies are selling krill oil supplements as a source of omega-3s. Krill are shrimp-like crustaceans that are a crucial link in the marine food chain, and concerns about the ecological impact of increased krill fishing has resulted in a ban on this practice on the U.S. West Coast, and strict limits in Norway and Antarctica. In contrast, fish oil supplements are predominantly produced from sardines and anchovies—species that are currently in abundant supply, fished well below mandated limits, and considered ideal for sustainability, given their short reproductive cycles. Fish oil is not only a more sustainable source for omega-3 supplements, it also provides a higher concentration of omega-3, is more molecularly stable, and is backed by more science than krill oil. Currently, there are very few human studies conducted with krill oil, whereas fish oil—when manufactured according to international quality standards—has a proven record of efficacy, purity, safety, and sustainability, and is backed by several thousand published studies.

Unsurpassed freshness equals great-tasting fish oil
The key objections to taking fish oils are taste and aftertaste. Nordic Naturals utilizes proprietary enzymatic and oxygen-free processing technologies to ensure a completely burp free product. Our patented encapsulation process also adds natural fruit essences into both the soft gel and liquid oil for a light, fruity taste.

Years of feedback from health professionals and customers alike indicates that children, teenagers, and adults of all ages enjoy the clean, light taste of Nordic Naturals fish oils.

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I have a bottle of Nordic naturals omega 3 in my pantry at home. I should probably start taking them again. I did take them before to see if it would alleviate my dermapothy and found that it didn't, but I may have been drinking kava that wasn't as noble as I once thought. I've since switched to a verified noble source and my skin is breathing a sigh of relief. Also I've noticed that my sleeping is much more sound, and I wake up duriung the night less now that I've switched to 100% noble. Them islanders knew a thing or two.

ApéroNoble

Ultimate Omega®

Gels-Lemon 180 Soft Gels-Lemon

Double-strength EPA+DHA for increased omega-3
benefits in fewer soft gels

Supports a healthy heart*

Our most popular concentrate, Ultimate Omega® offers therapeutic support for both body and mind. Without solicitation, doctors and researchers worldwide consistently choose and recommend this powerful formula. Concentrated Ultimate Omega delivers more omega-3s per serving than most other omega-3 products and has been shown by original research to support healthy glucose levels, healthy lipid levels in professional athletes, bronchial health, and the body's ability to respond to stress in a healthy way.*

Two soft gels daily, with food, or as directed by your health care professional or pharmacist. For ultimate support, take two soft gels with food twice daily.

I take four of these per day. Two wish breakfast and two with lunch. For you folks who workout don't take them within three hours pre- workout or three hours post workout as it may reduce inflammation

Last edited:

ApéroNoble

the anti-inflammatory function of dietary fish oil may detrimentally influence early muscle hypertrophic response. These findings indicate that dietary fish oil inhibits the early stage of muscle recovery by suppressing the activation of anabolic pathway Akt–p70s6k signaling and PGF2α synthesis. This study should bring to awareness that high doses of fish and fish oils may impede anabolic pathways, at least in rats. No studies in humans with high doses of fish oils have been conducted yet, but hopefully bodybuilders should be aware that high doses of Omega 3s in fish oils can reduce muscle recuperation by inhibiting PGF2alpha synthesis.

ApéroNoble

I have a bottle of Nordic naturals omega 3 in my pantry at home. I should probably start taking them again. I did take them before to see if it would alleviate my dermapothy and found that it didn't, but I may have been drinking kava that wasn't as noble as I once thought. I've since switched to a verified noble source and my skin is breathing a sigh of relief. Also I've noticed that my sleeping is much more sound, and I wake up duriung the night less now that I've switched to 100% noble. Them islanders knew a thing or two.
I've had the same sleep issues, thinking it was something else. Now it all makes sense

ApéroNoble

I take 6g of fish oil a day and still got pretty bad dermo.
I don't know why I don't get it then, perhaps the amount of water I consume on a daily basis combined with the fish oil plus all kinds of other nutritional supplements I take keep it at bay.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I still think dosage & frequency are the most important factors. I do think tudei might make it worse.

e: Based on how long it takes for dermo to go away after total cessation of consumption, I believe that whatever causes it is deposited in the skin over time and does not go away until the skin is shed. The life span of skin cells in an adult is about 50 days. If you consume enough kava within those 50 days, you'll get noticable dermopathy. Those who consume less frequently or not as much won't get it at all.

ApéroNoble

going by Deleted User's results and the qualitative test, is noble.
perhaps some are skeptical of Harpos results, one major reason I'm not is because they coincide precisely with what I've experienced to results of kava tested

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
... and I don't know if this is of any importance, but I also take milk thistle daily (just to be on the safe side).
I just bought some milk thistle and am trying it out with my daily regime of meds and vitamins. But I haven't used it enough to see if it makes any difference.

On a (sort of) related note, I've been using the Psyllium ,for a while now, that @kavadude recommended for extra fiber and that stuff is working "really" great. (y) But you have to make sure to be plenty hydrated (consume with plenty of water that is) when using that stuff too.

ApéroNoble

... and I don't know if this is of any importance, but I also take milk thistle daily (just to be on the safe side).
I take a product called Cleanse More by Renew Life at night, I feel that may help as well

Last edited:

ApéroNoble

I just bought some milk thistle and am trying it out with my daily regime of meds and vitamins. But I haven't used it enough to see if it makes any difference.
try a product called Siliphos by Now Foods it has Silybin the most bioactive component found in the extract of Milk Thistle, it's unique from other Silybin/milk thistle products due the fact it is formulated with phosphatidyl choline, which has demonstrated absorbability of up to 4.6 times as milk thistle extract

Last edited: