What's new

kava and diarrhea

CoolCat

Question. I've seen a lot of people post about GI upset. I've used kava daily since 2019. I tried a whole slate of prescription antianxiety and antidepressants, none of them worked except for kava. Kava also helped me kick alcohol, and for a while nicotine. So I lean on it greatly and tend to consume a lot, throughout the day.

In 2021, I mysteriously developed new GI symptoms that would flare for several months then subsite for several months. The current flareup started 2 months ago - I only have diarrhea, and debilitating stomach cramps. I have a history of IBD but multiple tests and diagnostics have confirmed now IBD, I'm completely in remission. I tried a low FODMAP diet and all kinds of funky IBS symptoms. Nothing has helped.

Could it be kava?

Most people I see have indicated diarrhea as a symptom when they first started. I was a daily heavy kava drinker for a few years before my symptoms started, so I don't see a correlation. My poop was fine and no cramps between 2019-2021. And I was fine again from early 2022 until early 2023, despite going through a pound of kava a week. Unless some buildup of it somehow caused liver damage, or something. Because it's been so helpful, I don't want to give up kava unless it's a confirmed cause. But I also can't live with constant diarrhea and debilitating cramps. Thoughts?

Eadwine

I don't get "constant diarrhea" HOWEVER when I take kava there's guaranteed to be a big #2 within the hour. It's like when people talk about how coffee makes them go to the bathroom - which I've never personally experienced!

LAMike

I would love more information on this. I started drinking, in March and really love it. Just recently have developed serious diarrhea issues when I drink Kava. It has become my escape. (Quit alcohol about 2 yrs ago.) When I skip Kava days, it doesn’t happen so I know it’s the Kava. Not sure why this would just start? Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you in advance!

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I’ve had some stretches of that but without the pain you describe. Another thing you might look at is artificial sweeteners. They wreak absolute havoc on my gut and give me urgent diarrhea