What's new

Kava Research Kava and dry eyes

duberz

I've had this dry eye experience as well but strangely it was only when I drank the Hiwa strain. They were so dry in fact that I had to use eye drops for those few days I was drinking Hiwa and I never ever use eye drops. Haven't had that problem with any others thankfully. It's crazy how different strains affect different people in completely different ways.

Chaucer

Kava Curious
Does anyone else experiencing a general feeling of pain in the eyes from drinking Kava? It doesn't feel like dryness . . . more of an ache.

Chaucer

Kava Curious
Does anyone else experiencing a general feeling of pain in the eyes from drinking Kava? It doesn't feel like dryness . . . more of an ache.
Wow, no one. This is the only thing that has me a little worried. I can deal with the bloating and dehydration but this is something else. I've taken a few days off of drinking and the pain has gone away. I'll start up in a few more days and see if it comes back. I suppose it could be a symptom of dehydration.

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
Hi everyone, I came across this tidbit when I was watching a video. Look at 1:30 on the video in the lower right hand corner. You will have to pause the video.
It would seem that kava can cause dry eyes, according to one study. Here is the video----

Thanks for looking and aloha.

Chris
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but good find Chris! Indeed, kava definitely causes dry eyes for me, and unfortunately it means I have to cut back significantly on kava consumption during allergy season. Normally the dry eyes wouldn't bother me but when pollen levels are high, it sets off my eye allergies like crazy. At first I thought I was dealing with a kava allergy, but luckily it's not and I can go back to drinking lots of kava when the pollen clears.

Side note: NutritionFacts.org is a great site and all of his videos are super interesting and well researched.