What's new

Kava and headaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyThere

Kava Curious
I'm here because I am going to start trying Kava for headaches.

I've had very bad headaches that occur about a day or two after a workout that exceeds my current fitness ability. The headache is roughly coincident with delayed onset muscle soreness. I've lived with this for many years and it is very bad...Ibuprofens work, fortunately, but I don't want to have to live on those. And I've been to every conceivable approach to fix them.

Thanks for being here and I'll keep you posted. Ordered some Kava on Amazon:
"KAVA WAKA powder -1 LB

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
I find kava kava candy is wonderful for trigeminal pain, as it has a direct interaction with the nerve. You should be good to go with a Fijian like what you ordered, but for muscle soreness you might want to kick it up a notch with a Vanuatu, or even a Papua New Guinea.

HeyThere

Kava Curious
I also want to add, that I used to smoke a lot of weed and drink a fair amount. I don't do either anymore. I do smoke an occasional cigar or three. There will be days when I don't smoke and then days when I have 1 2 or 3 cigars.

I am not really all that interested in the psychoactive effects of Kava :) But we'll have to see. I ordered a few other types based upon recomendations here.

Sean D.

Kava Enthusiast
The headache is roughly coincident with delayed onset muscle soreness. I've lived with this for many years and it is very bad...Ibuprofens work, fortunately, but I don't want to have to live on those.
Sounds like me. I'm not sure kava directly helps me with headaches, but it does help relax the sore muscles which radiates to my head sometimes. So perhaps in a way. Otherwise kava can potentially knock you out for a good nap if that's what the head needs :) Regards.

blindy107

Kava Lover
I've had recurring headaches for months at a time. Went to a neurologist finally and got some input on neck stretches. They help so much it's insane. I've had fairly poor posture for years so learning to pull my shoulders back and stretch out the muscles has been rough but it really helps the headaches!

Kava does too but not for as long as the other effects last...

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@HeyThere I've found kava extremely helpful with getting rid of a headache. The great thing is that you don't have to consume much for the effect. A few gaia hebs caps will kill a headache outright (for me). I'm actually surprised at the fact that kava's ability to help with headaches is not a more popular topic.

HeyThere

Kava Curious
Tried neck stretches. Rolfing. Chiro. Neurologist. Massage. Trigger points. Active release. Every stretching possibility before and after exercise. More that I cannot recall at the moment. Quit weightlifting because of it. I'd really like to go back to it but can't. I am utterly healthy in my 50s otherwise.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Make sure and stay hydrated (moreso than usual) when consuming the kava; I've had it cause two or three headaches because I wasn't drinking enough water. It's a diuretic.

Sean D.

Kava Enthusiast
In my experience, the thing about stretches is that it _needs_ to be the right stretch. General gym room yoga could help alot, or it might not do the trick depending.

I discovered this shoulder stretch by accident on my own, and and oh does it so get that right spot and offer relief!

This guy calls it the "Lappasana Shoulder Stretch" -- granted I have flexible shoulders.
http://www.sensational-yoga-poses.com/shoulder-stretches.html

The stretches help the muscle tension and kava helps with that "nervous tick" and grumpiness feeling I get sometimes, when I've been stuck hunched over a computer desk all day.

Good luck in finding what works for you.

Last edited:

HeyThere

Kava Curious
I did yoga for a few months but it didn't really help much. Thanks for the shoulder stretch ideas. I'm trying them. Neck stretches haven't worked and cause the headaches by themselves. Maybe I have to work through that. Don't know..

Jayy

Kava Curious
I get headaches frequently, sometimes serious migraines and stuff and god it can be awful but kava hasn't really done too much to get rid of them when they're here but I know for me it certainly hasn't given me any headaches either.

It's been a while since I got a headache though so maybe the kava is helping :p maybe they were stress related and I'm not really stressed anymore. Who knows lol

Sean D.

Kava Enthusiast
Another trick that I learned is to put a little menthol rub on temples and forehead. It may sting a little at firs,t but it helps keep you head feel cool for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.