What's new

Kava Physiology Kava and Healing

evrnd

Kava Enthusiast
This may not warrant its own thread but....

Cliff's notes backstory: I fractured the top of my femur (head or neck, still not 100% sure) back at the end of June. Had surgery the day of the injury and was given a 3-6 month timeline for healing. 3 years ago I fractured my pelvis, had surgery, and healed in half the projected time. This recovery has been anything but fast. I realize they are different injuries and I believe part of what makes healing from this a slower process is that the bone has to grow from the inside out instead of just calcifying over. Yesterday my doctor ordered a CT scan because (according to the same two x-rays they've been doing every 3-4 weeks since the surgery) it has not healed to the extent it should have in 6 months.

The backstory is probably unnecessary, but the question is: Is there any reason to believe or has there been any research to suggest that kava could slow healing? This has not been a controlled experiment, and there could be a lot of factors for the slow bone growth, but I just wondered what, if anything, is known about it. Most of you know a lot more about the root than I do and there are several of you that are interested in the science behind it's effects.

This thread could very well end in a "No."

Thanks in advance.

N

Noname

When you are relaxed good things happen. Kava also helps you get into deeper sleep and allow body to recover real well. I dont think kava would slow healing I think it would actually speed up healing. I'm not sure thou.

violet

Do all things with love
@evrnd For bone healing you need to make sure you are getting plenty of K2, it directs the body to deposit calcium in bones and teeth rather than in blood vessels and other soft tissues. Jarrow makes a pretty decent formula called "Bone Up/Ultra Bone Up" that has K2, D3, and other essential bone healing minerals.

Herbs that could help are cissus quadranularis, and infusions of boneset, nettles, and comfrey (be sure to be comfortable with or have someone familiar with comfrey guide with internal use or just omit it).

Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is well proven for speeding wound healing, creating stem cells, healing the immune system, and a whole host of other benefits. If you know someone or can get access to a chamber it should help. The soft chambers (home and portable use) that use mild pressures (1.3 ATA) have been shown to provide the same benefits as higher pressure dives and are much safer.