What's new

Kava & Drug Interaction Kava and Mirtazapine / Remeron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I couldn't find any information on this, despite an internet-wide search.
I am wondering if there are any known negative interactions between kava and Mirtazapine, a.k.a. Remeron.
This medicine is an antidepressant, but it is NOT an SSRI....
wiki describes it as an "atypical antidepressant", and an "antagonist of certain adrenergic and serotonin receptors,
and is also a strong antihistamine. It is sometimes described as a noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressant.
Chemically, mirtazapine in a tetracyclic antidepressant."

What this means, in relation to kava, I have no idea. I thought maybe somebody knew, either through experience, or in theory, if there would be
an interaction.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I couldn't find any information on this, despite an internet-wide search.
I am wondering if there are any known negative interactions between kava and Mirtazapine, a.k.a. Remeron.
This medicine is an antidepressant, but it is NOT an SSRI....
wiki describes it as an "atypical antidepressant", and an "antagonist of certain adrenergic and serotonin receptors,
and is also a strong antihistamine. It is sometimes described as a noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressant.
Chemically, mirtazapine in a tetracyclic antidepressant."

What this means, in relation to kava, I have no idea. I thought maybe somebody knew, either through experience, or in theory, if there would be
an interaction.
After doing a little research I found this out about Remeron

"Mirtazapine is extensively metabolized by the liver, mainly via the cytochrome P450 system"

Kava is a potent inhibitor of the P450 metabolic pathway, causing this drug to break down and pass through the body more slowly.

It also mentioned while not medically understood, some metabolites of this drug remain possibly toxic while it's being broken down in the body, so it may actually not be a good idea to mix the two on a regular basis.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
It also mentioned while not medically understood, some metabolites of this drug remain possibly toxic while it's being broken down in the body, so it may actually not be a good idea to mix the two on a regular basis.
Thank you sir !
In your personal opinion, in a case like this, if someone did combine the 2, that if they also took supplements which support the liver, would it possibly make a difference ?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Thank you sir !
In your personal opinion, in a case like this, if someone did combine the 2, that if they also took supplements which support the liver, would it possibly make a difference ?
You're most welcome.

Without understanding exactly which metabolites are possibly toxic, and how they interact with the body, it's hard to say. Milk thistle and NAC are great at protecting and supporting healthy liver function. I can give you a solid "Probably" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.