What's new

Kava available in Australia

Nodsey

Kava Enthusiast
Strangely enough my second experience with kava was quite a milder than my first. I actually prepared with an extra TBSP (4 in total) and slightly less water (450ml). Thought I would get a more potent grog?

The mouth numbing effect was much milder aswell. I will say my head did feel slightly heavier than the first time.

Apart from the difference in dose, the only other minor thing is that I prepared it the second time with quite warm tap water. Definitely not "hot" but pretty warm. Wonder if that affected the potency? Also, I prepar d it hours earlier and put it in th fridge. Could this decrease potency?

I'll try again this evening with room temp water like the first time.
I find a light meal at the end of the session kicks things up a notch as well!

In my early days I would put about a third of a cup of root into a 1.5 litre drink bottle, half fill that with water, shake it up for a few minutes then sieve it into a bowl and drink that. It let's more of the fine particles through than a strainer bag, so can hit pretty hard. I'll occasionally do it now if I'm running low to get bang for my buck - if you can stomach it, give it a go once to see what the full effect can be?

Last edited:

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
Warmer water does make it stronger, it is more effective in extracting the lactones from the root fiber, as the water passes through the material. Preparing in advance is perfectly fine (preferably drinking it within 24 hrs.)

Don't ever expect every single experience to be exactly the same every time, it won't always be amazing, sometimes it's just meh. Also consider your body is getting accustomed to kava atm, think of kava as an SSRI, it takes a while for you to feel it's full effects but be sure to continue to drink often (or everyday) to get to that point. Fine tune along the way and eventually you will have it dialed in perfectly for your needs.
Thanks for the info! Will try again tonight and keep that Kava streak going! Will be interesting when my FijiKava arrives so I can do a comparison becusse I have no reference at this point lol

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
I find a light meal at the end of the session kicks rings up a notch as well!

In my early days I would put about a third of a cup of root into a 1.5 litre drink bottle, half fill that with water, shake it up for a few minutes then sieve it into a bowl and drink that. It let's more of the fine particles through than a strainer bag, so can hit pretty hard. I'll occasionally do it now if I'm running low to get bang for my buck - if you can stomach it, give it a go once to see what the full effect can be?
Hey I think your onto something here. I just remembered that when I first tried it, I shook the bag with the root powder into the bowl and heaps of particles came out. I then added the water after that and started kneading.

The second time, I just added the water straight away and started kneading.

That may explain the potency difference, and also why I felt more nauseated the first time even though I used 1 less TBSP..

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
Apparently I have, but I'm not home yet, so can't verify!
Oh that's great! Just in time for Australia Day.

Which brand of Kava is it? Let us know how it goes!

I sent an email to FijiKava yesteday to see if they have any updates with their shipping. I'm pretty low on the BiloVinaka kava but didn't want to order anything else until my 500g FijiKava arrives...

Agador

Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
Update on Coles supermarkets supplying Kava powder

Ok, I just got this back from the coles online enquiry line....So, who's going shopping in Coles on Monday 31/1/22? The only unknown is the price for the 50g bags?

Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for your email regarding the availability of Fiji Kava Noble Root Powder 50g at our XXXXXX store. We apologise for the unintended delay in our response.

Our team has advised that the product will be available instore week commencing 31/01/2022.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us. We hope this information has been helpful. We look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Yours Sincerely,

Coles Customer Care
PO Box 480
Glen Iris Victoria 3146 Australia
T 1800 061 562

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
Update on Coles supermarkets supplying Kava powder

Ok, I just got this back from the coles online enquiry line....So, who's going shopping in Coles on Monday 31/1/22? The only unknown is the price for the 50g bags?

Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for your email regarding the availability of Fiji Kava Noble Root Powder 50g at our XXXXXX store. We apologise for the unintended delay in our response.

Our team has advised that the product will be available instore week commencing 31/01/2022.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us. We hope this information has been helpful. We look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Yours Sincerely,

Coles Customer Care
PO Box 480
Glen Iris Victoria 3146 Australia
T 1800 061 562
Thanks for the update. Are they only carrying 50g bags?

If coles stocks them on 31St, I'll be quite disappointed if I don't get my "pre-order" before then...

Agador

Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
Yeah, looks like only 50g bags. Multiply the unit price by by 20 to compare value for 1kg lots from other suppliers. It will be interesting to se if its value for money.

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
Yeah, looks like only 50g bags. Multiply the unit price by by 20 to compare value for 1kg lots from other suppliers. It will be interesting to se if its value for money.
Yes definitely. I really hope the kava market opens up here. I have tried asking a few of the more.popular places like KWK and Lami Kava if they will sell to Australia but they all ask for the import permits.

Nodsey

Kava Enthusiast
Chemist Warehouse should stock it (they bought a stake in Fijikava), and their capsule prices are far lower than Coles.

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
Still waiting on Fijikava, Wakanavu and now the Tongan too.
It's all taking forever :arghh:
Very depressing. I just finished my last 2tbsp of BiloVinaka kava this afternoon so I'm out.

Does wakanavu sell in Aus? Did you just order from their site? Looks like they have a nice variety. Are there any you would recommend for anxiety relief? I'm after heavy effects as opposed to heady effects...

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
Very depressing. I just finished my last 2tbsp of BiloVinaka kava this afternoon so I'm out.

Does wakanavu sell in Aus? Did you just order from their site? Looks like they have a nice variety. Are there any you would recommend for anxiety relief? I'm after heavy effects as opposed to heady effects...
They do, although I couldn't get a clear response as to whether they have the right permits to. I ordered via email and was assured it would ship out by end last week from melbs but haven't had a shipping confirmation yet. They only had a vanuatu kava avail here but apparently getting more types in a month. Haven't tried their stuff before, will update when I have more info.

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
They do, although I couldn't get a clear response as to whether they have the right permits to. I ordered via email and was assured it would ship out by end last week from melbs but haven't had a shipping confirmation yet. They only had a vanuatu kava avail here but apparently getting more types in a month. Haven't tried their stuff before, will update when I have more info.
Thanks for the info, hope it arrives for you soon.

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
By the way, apparently this gtoup is taking pre-orders, shipping end of Feb:

Might be worth adding to the list. Anyone had experience with these guys?