What's new

Kava FAQ Kava Census Results

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Thank you everyone for participating in the forums census. This is a followup to infraredz's excellent kava information polls: http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/pages/KavaPolls/

It's impossible to capture everyone's true thoughts in simple multiple choice answer format. So, if there are any responses you would like to elaborate on, please feel free to do so in this thread.
I will now summarize the results: http://bit.ly/kava-census-results

There were 66 respondents.

Obviously, this is not a scientific exercise, it's just something I threw together to help us get an idea of who's out there and how they're consuming kava.

92% of respondents were men, 8% were women. :bored:

71% of respondents were from the USA, along with 9 users from Canada, 3 from New Zealand and the UK, 2 from Sweden, and respondents from Norway, Switzerland, Germany, and Australia (I know we've got more Aussies on here but they missed out for some reason),

11% of the respondents were from Texas. Yee-haw! We also have multiple users from British Columbia, California, Florida, Montana, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Ontario, and Tennessee. Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Nova Scotia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Utah, Victoria, Virginia and Washington each had 1 respondent.

Most of our users skew towards fairly experienced, with 3 in 4 users having used kava for a year or more. 1 in 4 have under a year of experience. 5 users have over a decade of kava experience! Wow!

Not surprisingly, respondents tend to use kava fairly frequently, with 18% reporting daily kava consumption and 82% consuming kava 3 days a week or more.

On the other hand, 32% spend under $50 on kava a month, and 74% under $100 a month. This one made me jealous of all you hardheads who can have a kava session with two tablespoons.

About 7 out of 10 respondents reported experiencing reverse tolerance.

3 in 4 respondents said they use kava for both medicinal and recreational purposes; the rest were evenly split between purely medicinal and purely recreational use.

64% reported that kava is a medical necessity for them.

Nearly all respondents said kava helps treat anxiety, with a fair amount of people claiming it helps with chronic pain, insomnia, addiction, and muscle soreness. Long form responses mentioned: stress, depression and paranoia, mental sharpness, diuretic properties, attention/concentration, general malaise, and shift work disorder.

By far the most common side effects reported are dehydration, nausea and dermopathy, by about half of respondents. Dry mouth and anxiety were less common. Only 4 respondents reported elevated liver enzymes.

About 50% of respondents use between 3-5 tablespoons per kava session. 26% use 7-8 tablespoons per kava session. The rest fell elsewhere, with 1 user reporting 1 tablespoon per session (!), and 6 reporting 10+ tablespoons per session.

Half use hot water, half use cold, one respondent uses boiling water. Those of you who use cold water might like to know that a UHawaii study determined that hot water increases extraction of kavalactones. It also makes it tastes terrible but it's not like you're drinking it for the taste anyway!

61% of users strain their kava, with another 12% blending and 20% using some combination thereof. (This was a poor answer choice on my part as I assume these users are just blending and straining).

48% of users use a fijian strainer, with 20% using a nylon stocking and a handful choosing laundry bags, cheesecloth, mesh strainers, paint or jelly strainers, other types of strainers or not straining at all.

About 1 in 4 respondents use mixers (orange juice, milk, etc) in their kava.

3 in 10 users find that emulsifiers such as lecithin increase the potency of their kava. I forgot to put in a "don't know" answer on this one, my bad.

44% of users have no regional preference, but 39% prefer kava from Vanuatu, 9% Hawaii and a handful of votes for Fiji, Tonga, and the Solomon Islands.

1 in 4 users enjoy the taste of kava. Please share your secrets with us!

About 44% of users believe tudei is unsafe, with 45% in the "don't know" camp and 11% in the "yes" camp.

Only 11% of users drink tudei kava.

Of note to vendors: 68% of our users would NOT buy kava from a vendor that sells other botanical products. This question was updated a few days in to include K@ as an example of such a product.

Only 2 respondents reported problems with addiction to kava, and one of those users was Prince Phillip being sassy.

Last edited:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
For the question on botanical products, you can interpret that however you would like. When I wrote it I personally had in mind a very specific type of vendor. You know, the ones that are plastered with "NOT INTENDED FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION" and "THIS KAVA IS FOR USE AS INCENSE ONLY."

For the regional preference, I'm not surprised Vanuatu and Hawaii are the most popular. I don't think it has to do with kavas from other regions being inferior, but when we get kavas from Hawaii and Vanuatu it general comes with a lot of great information about strain and chemotype. Vendors selling products from other regions would do well to dig up this information and share it.

Last edited:

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
Well Kavadude, I'm glad I and many members had their part in that lovely census. (y)

After all, it is us individuals whom are constantly helping to conform the Ideals under which kava's constructed. :D

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Great job, interesting results. You should do it again in 6 months to a year and refine your questions like you had mentioned and I am sure you might get some other ideas that will make the next one even better and more informative. Aloha.

Chris

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I'm surprised New Zealand doesn't have a higher showing (not just here, but with kava in general), considering the number of polynesians there....especially Samoans.

Monkava'd

I'm surprised New Zealand doesn't have a higher showing (not just here, but with kava in general), considering the number of polynesians there....especially Samoans.
This may not be true but from what I've read it's rather difficult to import kava into new Zealand and carry laws in simular to Australia.

If that is the case than I can certainly see why there would be less of a Kava practicing population.

Also ditto on the re trials every so often because not only the number of users change but opinions and all sorts of new contributions can pop up in a census; in reference to what Chris said.(y)

infraredz

BULA!
I'm wondering about a few things that hopefully the members that responded to these questions can address:
  1. If you use a blender for the agitation phase, but then use a strainer and might knead and agitate it a couple times before completely straining it, how did you answer?
  2. How much of an increase in potency have you found with emulsifiers? Example: Say, without emulsifiers, you need 7 tablespoons but with a tbsp of lecithin, you only need 6 tbsps.
  3. Why do you prefer the country of origin for your kava? Taste, lactone profile, etc?
  4. I answered that I like the taste of kava, only because I associate it in a Pavlovian/Classical Conditioning sort of way where the taste of kava is associated with good feelings. Does anyone actually like the taste of kava, say if it had no effect? I would personally say that Tongan and Hawaiian kava is very mild, and the fresh frozen stuff is actually good tasting.
  5. For those who do consume tudei kava, how often do you do so?
  6. For those 4 people that have experienced elevated liver enzymes, please share your LFT results and previous medical conditions, diet, familial history of disorders, etc.

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
This may not be true but from what I've read it's rather difficult to import kava into new Zealand and carry laws in simular to Australia.

If that is the case than I can certainly see why there would be less of a Kava practicing population.
No, it's completely different. There are no kava restrictions in NZ.

Regarding the high Polynesian population here - yes, kava consumption will likely be high because of that. However, I think at kavaforums.com we are looking at a pretty middle/upper middle class demographic. Polynesians in NZ, unfortunately, have a tendency to fall into more socially and financially disadvantaged classes. Hence, they are definitely out there, and they are drinking kava, but you won't find them at kavaforums.com. When they drink kava, they are doing it because it's the done thing - I doubt they are as concerned about varieties as we are here.
I'm sorry the above contains vast generalisations, but I doubt I'm very far off the mark.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Makes sense, it's just about the same way with the tongans and samoans in california...
I guess what I should say is; I'm surprised that for such a relatively small country, with a sizable polynesian community, kava hasn't become more popular with the average-joe-kiwi....simply due to exposure and availability perhaps.

infraredz

BULA!
Interesting thoughts and notes Henry.

I too am surprised that the with the much higher saturation of kava in the NZ culture, there isn't some sort of "stigma" or at the very least, some sort of "judgement" about kava. For example, where I live (near shakas, though we don't have as high a percentage of Samoans or Oceanic people) most people would think positively of it since it fits in the "alternative health" movement but one would think that in NZ, the non-polynesians wouldn't have some sort of judgement, positive or not, regarding kava. I guess it seems that with such a high percentage of cultural kava usage, there would be some sort of image that the lay-person has about kava (eg. "Oh, that numbing muddy water those islanders drink that all the time").

Also, I've heard it before too, how weak is the kava that is served to the tourists in Fiji? Do the Fijians make their own kava stronger than what they serve to the tourists? I'm thinking it could be something similar to what you mentioned regarding the culture of sitting around a Tanoa all night and using it as more of a social "tool" which is how it seems the Samoans use it.

Monkava'd

Ouch well that's to bad for those who are offering such experiences to others [kiwis with their viewpoints or otherwise (if true) ] Without the real value and explanatory reasoning behind that cultural facet of dilution for their ritual means plus the hereditary usage behind the whole kava environment.

In redaction though i must say it's probably just not given a second thought at no offense to them because that's how it's just "been done" for as long as we can propose.

Henry just as you've predicated it really is a loss to individuals whom come to think the cultural aspects of these rituals are so full or homey; only to find that improper practices even by them (fijans, also if true) (as per what other more entrenched kava cultures would contend) are utilized.

Though to some extent it can be even worse than that because these individuals may have just taken interest into the facets of kava without the true knowledge of how it works or truly what it even is.

So unbeknownst to them, because either a real experience is not endured as such with alcohol or simply as said before no prior knowledge has been ascertained about the presence of a reverse tolerance; of the proper way to prepare the liquid; and chiefly that what will have been begotten during a ritual is a much more watered down version of what any of us here on the forum will consume regularly.

They will concur with an emphasis of perplexity unto what's just been partaken which will likely cause many too take w/e subconscious preconceptions had previously before participation as fact.

Sadly (maybe it's a good thing for now) due impart too the nature of this root given its mysticism the true stature kava holds will conclusively remain an elephant in the room as opposed to some of the more fanatical botanically based substances available at this time.

In a way this is just fine because of what we all know can happen once it's gained pr (good or bad), so to have it under the wire would take away our golden opportunity to construct a more rigid and strong knowledge basis; also as per what has almost happened with the original liver scares; than the inflammation and subsidiary retribution of kava for the aboriginal communities as a casual reaction to misinterpretation and/or misrepresentation otherwise (though I cannot voucher for or exclaim if/that it hasn't been overly used by those representing communities myself) I personally feel where kava is now in formality constructs perfect grounding concurrently to keep the reputation as sound as is possible to those who don't or will never have an interest in this root; and to those who are actively seeking more information .

Now the connotation that's taken by the Nz's is fine as long as a proper standpoint has been proposed (and is only on a personal preference to not divulge and not because of misinterpretation of the facts) , but on another personal queue, if the reference on "heavy drinking" is of the manifestation of alcohol; this certainly would be a more progressive alternative, to something that has destroyed so many lives;even if the whole outlook on taste,smell,feel initially holds a manner of quirkiness.
Y'all have a goodnight; for I'm going to attempt to watch the rest of this Spurs game. (y)

Edit- Oh and I did just read Vorticitys reference on the demographic of kava drinkers in Nz so I'm glad the issue is not with government structure at all or with the people's viewpoint; and in saying that there may not be much of an alcohol problem after all (of course again I have no idea and am just formulating a thought) which would be awesome since it is such an issue in a vast array of continents! :D

keeron

Kava Enthusiast
Thank you everyone for participating in the forums census.

It's impossible to capture everyone's true thoughts in simple multiple choice answer format. So, if there are any responses you would like to elaborate on, please feel free to do so in this thread.
I will now summarize the results: http://bit.ly/kava-census-results

There were 66 respondents.

Obviously, this is not a scientific exercise, it's just something I threw together to help us get an idea of who's out there and how they're consuming kava.

92% of respondents were men, 8% were women. :bored:

71% of respondents were from the USA, along with 9 users from Canada, 3 from New Zealand and the UK, 2 from Sweden, and respondents from Norway, Switzerland, Germany, and Australia (I know we've got more Aussies on here but they missed out for some reason),

11% of the respondents were from Texas. Yee-haw! We also have multiple users from British Columbia, California, Florida, Montana, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Ontario, and Tennessee. Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Nova Scotia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Utah, Victoria, Virginia and Washington each had 1 respondent.

Most of our users skew towards fairly experienced, with 3 in 4 users having used kava for a year or more. 1 in 4 have under a year of experience. 5 users have over a decade of kava experience! Wow!

Not surprisingly, respondents tend to use kava fairly frequently, with 18% reporting daily kava consumption and 82% consuming kava 3 days a week or more.

On the other hand, 32% spend under $50 on kava a month, and 74% under $100 a month. This one made me jealous of all you hardheads who can have a kava session with two tablespoons.

About 7 out of 10 respondents reported experiencing reverse tolerance.

3 in 4 respondents said they use kava for both medicinal and recreational purposes; the rest were evenly split between purely medicinal and purely recreational use.

64% reported that kava is a medical necessity for them.

Over 1 in 4 respondents said kava helps treat anxiety, with a fair amount of people claiming it helps with chronic pain, insomnia, addiction, and muscle soreness. Long form responses mentioned: stress, depression and paranoia, mental sharpness, diuretic properties, attention/concentration, general malaise. and shift work disorder.

By far the most common side effects reported are dehydration, nausea and dermopathy, by a little under 1 in 4 respondents. Dry mouth and anxiety were less common. Only 4 respondents reported elevated liver enzymes.

About 50% of respondents use between 3-5 tablespoons per kava session. 26% use 7-8 tablespoons per kava session. The rest fell elsewhere, with 1 user reporting 1 tablespoon per session (!), and 6 reporting 10+ tablespoons per session.

Half use hot water, half use cold, one respondent uses boiling water. Those of you who use cold water might like to know that a UHawaii study determined that hot water increases extraction of kavalactones. It also makes it tastes terrible but it's not like you're drinking it for the taste anyway!

61% of users strain their kava, with another 12% blending and 20% using some combination thereof. (This was a poor answer choice on my part as I assume these users are just blending and straining).

48% of users use a fijian strainer, with 20% using a nylon stocking and a handful choosing laundry bags, cheesecloth, mesh strainers, paint or jelly strainers, other types of strainers or not straining at all.

About 1 in 4 respondents use mixers (orange juice, milk, etc) in their kava.

3 in 10 users find that emulsifiers such as lecithin increase the potency of their kava. I forgot to put in a "don't know" answer on this one, my bad.

44% of users have no regional preference, but 39% prefer kava from Vanuatu, 9% Hawaii and a handful of votes for Fiji, Tonga, and the Solomon Islands.

1 in 4 users enjoy the taste of kava. Please share your secrets with us!

About 44% of users believe tudei is unsafe, with 45% in the "don't know" camp and 11% in the "yes" camp.

Only 11% of users drink tudei kava.

Of note to vendors: 68% of our users would NOT buy kava from a vendor that sells other botanical products. This question was updated a few days in to include K***** as an example of such a product.

Only 2 respondents reported problems with addiction to kava, and one of those users was Prince Phillip being sassy.
hey @kavadude .
Just for future questions, i think you could add this question '' How much Kava in Grams do you use daily''
As i was trying to quote your Census to help someone in here : http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/dose-anyone-else-drink-kava-all-day.2773/#post-27868

But your Census only had '' Amount of Tbsp Per Session''
It would also be cool to know how much each person uses Every Day in Grams. This helps others know how much the Majority of Kava users, use each day (y)

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
That is something I considered but most generally don't weigh their kava before consuming. If you want to guess I think we've decided that about 7 grams per tbsp is the average.

keeron

Kava Enthusiast
That is something I considered but most generally don't weigh their kava before consuming. If you want to guess I think we've decided that about 7 grams per tbsp is the average.
Yeah that's true. I dont even weigh it out either lmao.

The Kava Census was an awesome idea.
But only 66 out of 800+ Members responded. Its would of been great to see at least 50% of the members respond.
Maybe the results would be different ? who knows.