What's new

Kava Chews

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Found this new product – Kava Chews – in a shop here in Fiji last week and gave it a go yesterday. The pack cost around USD$3.
I had to finish all 9 of them (over a 1hr period) before I felt anything. A relaxing effect on the body, combined with mental clarity. It was a little too mild for me to use regularly but could be handy on the go.
I don't have anxiety so I can't really judge whether it has an anxiolytic effect, but if it does, this would be a great way for someone who suffers from anxiety to have kava throughout the day.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Found this new product – Kava Chews – in a shop here in Fiji last week and gave it a go yesterday. The pack cost around USD$3.
I had to finish all 9 of them (over a 1hr period) before I felt anything. A relaxing effect on the body, combined with mental clarity. It was a little too mild for me to use regularly but could be handy on the go.
I don't have anxiety so I can't really judge whether it has an anxiolytic effect, but if it does, this would be a great way for someone who suffers from anxiety to have kava throughout the day.
Neat. Does the package display any nutrient info (i.e. cals, carbs, fiber) ?

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Neat. Does the package display any nutrient info (i.e. cals, carbs, fiber) ?
So as a result of your question, I take a better look at the package and what do you know... it isn't a Fijian product at all. F$#*ing made in China!!
There is nutrient info, but regardless of that, I'm withdrawing my recommendation of these Kava Chews.

I'll take a pic for you and post it later today.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Here's the back of the package. Notice that the Fiji address of the company is much more prominent than the origin of the product. I never thought to look for product origin info in the Supplement Facts panel, which is what put me under the impression that it was a local product.

A bit of googling reveals that the maker Kava Korporesan has PNG origins.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Let's not be too hard on the Chinese in the kava world though guys - the first person to package and market kava overseas (as in outside of traditional kava countries) in the early '80's was a Mr Charlot Longwah...a Vanuatu born businessman born of Chinese / Vietnamese parents. He pioneered the kava export industry from Vanuatu at least 20 years before all the current international suppliers, and helped Vanuatu a great deal for little personal gain. He lived in a little tin roofed shack in one of the poorest parts of port Vila, a long way from the expat areas, but provided the foundation for the current export industry.

But you're right Kasa, I wouldn't put any kava product actually manufactured in China in my mouth...

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Oh my comment was definitely against kava processed in china rather than anti-chinese. Thanks for that nugget of info about the pioneer of the Vanuatu kava export industry. Likewise Fijians of Chinese descent were involved heavily in the early agri-export industry here in Fiji. Some of the pioneer taro exporters alongside my father were Sam Foi, Wah Sing, and Joe Chung. One of the top kava producers right now is owned by a local chinese guy. Much respect to him and others. It is "made in china" rather than "made by chinese" kava products that I have little trust for.

Somewhat related: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-...to-intervene-in-baby-formula-shortage/6932332

It's the same with Nigeria. Nigerians are wonderful people, but I am immediately suspicious of financial products of Nigerian origin.

Last edited: