What's new

Kava Connections

How spiritual are you? I'm not just referring to religion, but any type of spirituality

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I've noticed certain similarities in members of the kava forums. I'd like to find out if my observations are correct with a series of polls. Let's see if certain qualities make you more likely to be drawn to kava.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I struggle with this. It really depends a lot on when you ask me. I grew up Catholic, and really felt connected to the church as a child. I left when I was a teenager, and got really into Zen Buddhism and art as a way of interacting with creative and natural forces. That's what transitioned me into anthropology, which really focuses on explaining religion and spirituality as social and cultural forces rather than "truths." But when I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Ghana, and then an aid worker in South Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, and some other places, I saw some profoundly amazing rituals that seemed to bring spiritual forces into reality. Particularly in Ghana and the West African region, some of the rituals and traditions are very, very deep and people seem to have a bit of control over ancestral and spiritual forces. But on reflection, I wonder how much of that was just me being "too deep" in the culture and village where I lived on and off for seven years. It's hard to say. I think back to my spiritual experiences in the church growing up, and I wonder how much our beliefs transform reality and how much reality transforms our beliefs.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
That's an interesting question. Personally I grew up a Baptist. Even as a child I never took anything I was taught to heart if it didn't resonate with me. I'm a christian, but I believe God gave me a conscious, and I let that guide me. I attend church when I can, and listen to the preacher. If an idea doesn't feel right, I discard it. When I say spirituality, any type qualifies. Even feeling a connection to nature or animals.

D

Deleted User01

I grew up Catholic too but now I think like a Hindu. "I'm not saying it's not true, and I'm not saying it is true. I just see no evidence to support either one". Hardcore Buddhists won't even step on a spider so I'm definitely not that but "live and let live" is not a bad motto. So there must be something out there that created the world and I just call that entity "creator". God only knows who or what it is. (pun intended).

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I'm not sure anything created the world. Then again, I'm not sure humans have the capacity to understand such things. After all, we are just mammals that evolved incredibly large brains - or maybe that's just another belief?

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
I think there needs to be another option above.
Kava and Yerba Mate plant teacher style lucid dreams have been making me more spiritual and empathetic, so now I do wonder if there may be an energy in the universe that ties everything together but I don't believe in a human created entity on any level. And these thoughts make me feel even happier and luckier to be aware and in the moment of now as I am half way through my travel to my last breath while being "here".
That's kind of long though :)

Reactions: EQ

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I think there needs to be another option above.
Kava and Yerba Mate plant teacher style lucid dreams have been making me more spiritual and empathetic, so now I do wonder if there may be an energy in the universe that ties everything together but I don't believe in a human created entity on any level. And these thoughts make me feel even happier and luckier to be aware and in the moment of now as I am half way through my travel to my last breath while being "here".
That's kind of long though :)
That falls under spirituality. The titie didn't really have enough space for me to explain completely. Believing in a collective conscious, that people are all connected, that we are connected to nature or animals, ancestor worship, the Japanese concept of yin and yang, all of these are different forms of spirituality. I suppose even a deep connection with ones self and consciousness could be considered spirituality as well.

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
I grew up Baptist....my grandfather was a minister. As I child I just saw nice people helping and supporting each other, the core concepts just felt right when I was young. Over the years through many experiences (in this perceived reality and others...wink wink) my feelings have changed dramatically. I no longer believe in Christianities version of "God"....being that of an old white man sitting in the clouds saying "If you do A, B, and C, you can come live with me in peace and happiness for eternity......but if you don't then you'll go into a firey pit in the center of the earth to be tormented by devils". I've grown to detest dogma for obvious reasons.
I do believe in a "higher power"......I feel it. I also have a theory that everyone's version of "god" whether it Christian, Buddhist, or any of the other religions out there (large and small) are actually all referring to the same thing.....infinite consciousness. This has to do with the connectedness or oneness people feel, at least those that are open to such ideas.
I feel we are all part of the same infinite consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. Currently I'm having a "Tfin" experience and I'm using this meat suit we all call bodies to do so. When this body wears out from use, "I" leave it and go back to infinite consciousness where ever the hell that is.
One of the best analogies I've heard to describe this stated "Assuming consciousness resides in the body is like assuming the radio announcer resides in the radio".
A great book to read to help spur this idea along was written by Dr Eben Alexander. He's a neurosurgeon that suffered a near death experience from spinal meningitis. The name of the book is called "Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife".....and not Christianities version of it either.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Yeah, I've always wanted to believe that all religions are worshipping the "same God." The only problem is that they all seem to think that everyone else is wrong! I'd rather be a scientist of religions than a religious scientist.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Grew up Mormon, traveled the religious roulette for a while ane I would say my belief system is closer to Buddhism than anything else now. I am converting to Catholicism currently. I haven't told my family because they are Mormon and when you express disbelief of their faith you are more or less ostracized. In the end I believe in God but don't know and accept I can be wrong and there might not be anything. I just try to be a good person to others around me and not be too much of a prick and hope its enough.

EQ

Atman
Yeah, I've always wanted to believe that all religions are worshipping the "same God." The only problem is that they all seem to think that everyone else is wrong! I'd rather be a scientist of religions than a religious scientist.
Did you post a story about believing people having snakes in their stomach when you we're a kid?

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
I hear what your saying Kavasseur, but I think that is more of a human issue rather than specifically a religious one.

Hell, humans argue about everything..."our side" is always right.......Republicans vs Democrats (even though they're the same with different window dressing to make people think they have a choice.....but that's another discussion), perceived race differences, Ford vs Chevy, dry vs wet BBQ......on and on and on.

As a human its one of the many flaws we're supposed to try and overcome. Everyone has lessons to learn and if they don't learn them in this life, then they'll have to try in the next and the next until they do. Yup, I feel reincarnation plays a major roll as well.

Of course I could be completely wrong about everything and simply full of you know what. ;)

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Did you post a story about believing people having snakes in their stomach when you we're a kid?
Must have been krunked when I wrote that, because I usually don't talk about it. Yeah, I had a weird mind when I was a child. I used to also watch my toys come to life after the lights went out. I could see them literally get up and walk around. The mind can be a wonderful thing. The snakes thing was terrifying, though.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I hear what your saying Kavasseur, but I think that is more of a human issue rather than specifically a religious one.

Hell, humans argue about everything..."our side" is always right.......Republicans vs Democrats (even though they're the same with different window dressing to make people think they have a choice.....but that's another discussion), perceived race differences, Ford vs Chevy, dry vs wet BBQ......on and on and on.

As a human its one of the many flaws we're supposed to try and overcome. Everyone has lessons to learn and if they don't learn them in this life, then they'll have to try in the next and the next until they do. Yup, I feel reincarnation plays a major roll as well.

Of course I could be completely wrong about everything and simply full of you know what. ;)
Don't know if I agree on the politics part, because there are some clear differences there. In terms of religion, well religions are social insitutions with a big investment in growth and thus "Otherness" towards other religions.

EQ

Atman
@Kavasseur

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

upload_2016-8-29_11-47-11.jpeg

"When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman behold thy Son!
Then saith he to the disciple Behold thy Mother! And from that hour the disciple took her unto his own home."

No religion/spiritual teaching is separate of truth. Understand all of them!

Last edited:

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I do feel that there is some truth in all religions. There are things that are taught in my religion that I don't agree with, and things taught in other religions that I do agree with, at least to some extent. Also religions have a lot of overlap. The message of peace and love is present in nearly all religions. The history of the world, including the creation and the flood, is present in many religions with differences but many similarities. I do see my religion as truth, but I would never disrespect someone or tell them they are going to hell because they don't believe the same as me. It's way above my paygrade to make those decisions, so I don't claim to know the answer. When I consider the question seperate of my religious views, I believe that religion (or spirituality) is beneficial for humans as a species. I think we were created with a need and desire to connect with something outside ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.