What's new

Kava Depot?

verticity

I'm interested in things
I just stumbled upon this vendor that I had not heard of before. They claim to be possibly the largest US kava importer mostly supplying kava bars seemingly.
I am curious because they have Pia, a noble variety from Tanna that I have not seen elsewhere:
https://www.kavadepot.com/product/vanuatu-pia-tanna-kava/

They also have a variety of other noble kavas, as well as Isa and something they say is "Ceremonial" kava from Vanuatu, which is something I haven't seen elsewhere either... Also interestingly they have kava that they say is pure lateral roots or stump from Vanuatu, which is usually the Fijian way of sorting kava..

The only previous mention of this place I can find here is this:
http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/fiji-kadavu.12427
which is just someone else asking if anyone has tried them...

Does anyone have any experience with this vendor?

verticity

I'm interested in things
I don't know... that Pia is $68 per pound and tested at 6% kavalactones; I'm probably not going to try it unless anyone else has and says it's really worth it despite the low KL content...

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
It's been around by different names, like Botany Evolution and South Pacific Kava. It's Laurent Olivier's business, who (IIRC) has been supplying US kava bars for a long time.

I noticed that Pia a while back, but I think it was old pre-cyclone Pam stock -- way too old and weak for me to pay that price for it. Would love to find a good Tanna kava supply though. I was wondering if the weird Vanuatu/Tanna root Dua Na Bilo was selling might have been sourced from KavaDepot.

Last edited:

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Looks like this is a Laurent Olvier operation, but I thought he was the connect for N@H?
Laurent Olivier and Jeffery Bowman used to be business partners who started with The South Pacific Elixir Company in August 2000. Together they launched the first kava bar on mainland USA in January 2002 serving kava, yerba mate, and exotic teas. Olivier, a New Caledonian, introduced Bowman to kava and it was his idea to open a kava bar. They also started N@H the online store, at the time selling kava at $55/kg.

At some point they split up and as far as I can tell, are competitors in the kava wholesale business.