What's new

Kava doesn't get me off anymore

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Have you had fijifresh kava? It's strong as hell and if i drink the lawena at night on a partially empty stomach I get a very nice euphoria for a couple hours. I used to get a similar result that was a little better but less punchy from Kula from BKH. Its a bummer to see that BKH stopped carrying their awesome Tongan strains. Borogu from kalm gives me a pretty nice full spectrum euphoria if I drink it in the right setting. And it's cheap.

I think at least some of the problem might be tolerance. I drink kava daily and have for a couple years smand really feel that it's harder to get that sense of novelty from kava. But it is damn hard to find a kava that is super euphoric and not sedating or too heavy.

Lastly, every now and then I will go through a period of maybe 1-7 days where kava is just not doing it for me. It either starts bothering my stomach too much or it just makes me sleepy. But then it goes back to normal after a few days.

Jerome

Kava Lover
iAgreed @ThePiper .

I've been chewing the waka roots from Fiji Fresh and it's legit. I haven't tried their powder yet but I imagine it will be an upcoming purchase for me.

The Fiji Fresh is VERY good for stress/anxiety.

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
I remember when I tried 11 year waka and it knocked me ON MY ASS so much I had to sell it, now I only get mild kava buzzes from everything but i've been blaming it on my usage of SSRI's, now I'm not so sure.

Kavacoordinate

Kava Enthusiast
Judd are you talking about the 11 year? I had that for the first time two years ago when I was working in Portland and almost couldn't walk

Mitiburn

Kava Curious
I get this same problem. I chalk it up to tolerance. I drink everyday but recently took a 3 day break. Today Kava Vinaka waka is hitting me well. I’m sure just like anything our bodies get adapted to it. Which in turns maybe makes it easier to digest and/or doesn’t phase you anymore. The thing that sucks the most, I feel, is that no batch is equal

Transcent

Kava saved my life
I get this same problem. I chalk it up to tolerance. I drink everyday but recently took a 3 day break. Today Kava Vinaka waka is hitting me well. I’m sure just like anything our bodies get adapted to it. Which in turns maybe makes it easier to digest and/or doesn’t phase you anymore. The thing that sucks the most, I feel, is that no batch is equal
Kava is suppose to be unllike most things in that the more often you drink the less you need to to ingest to get desired results. Reverse tolerance. although I suppose it works differently for everybody

Ricardo Piquant

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I do think the quality of kava generally has gone downhill due to the rising popularity and value of it combined with the length of time it takes to properly mature. It's becoming too valuable to let grow for more than 2 or 3 years.

The good stuff can still be found, but you really have to hunt and be lucky because it's so elusive.

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
I do think the quality of kava generally has gone downhill due to the rising popularity and value of it combined with the length of time it takes to properly mature. It's becoming too valuable to let grow for more than 2 or 3 years.

The good stuff can still be found, but you really have to hunt and be lucky because it's so elusive.
I wonder if verticity would have any insight of ways of us to actually know that from a scientific standpoint. Comparing older kava's and newer kava's. I don't know lol.

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
Current kava im trying is pouni oni which i also a dissapointment. Not heady enough to get you off, but also sedating so that higher doses just lead to more sedation. The worst of two worlds.
@yiki Have you had Mo'i from GHK? I also like really heady kavas and it's the headiest I've tried so far. It can still get sedating if you drink a lot but the first shell is supremely uplifting and euphoric.

Palmetto

Thank God!
Kava is suppose to be unllike most things in that the more often you drink the less you need to to ingest to get desired results. Reverse tolerance. although I suppose it works differently for everybody
I don't believe in reverse tolerance anymore. When I sometimes drink over 2 lbs a month, it doesn't hit me any different than if I have less than 1 lb a month

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I don't believe in reverse tolerance anymore. When I sometimes drink over 2 lbs a month, it doesn't hit me any different than if I have less than 1 lb a month
Reverse Tolerance only applies to the drinker the first time around, regardless if you believe in it or not.

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
My reverse tolerance theory is that the heavy kavalactones hang around in your body for a while and when you drink daily, you have a bit of KLs from the last day's session that stack with those you consume during your next session.

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
I was a daily heavy kava drinker, and I've almost stopped drinking it and substituted CBD flower in its place. Like many of you, I've found today's kava is weak, and the price has almost doubled what it was 3 years ago. For me, it just isn't worth the money and the dermo any longer.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
My reverse tolerance theory is that the heavy kavalactones hang around in your body for a while and when you drink daily, you have a bit of KLs from the last day's session that stack with those you consume during your next session.
Heavy KLs don't make kavain more effective and there aren't enough of them in the root sold at this point to be continually active in the day or days after drinking. When it comes to heavy KLs you need to have the right balance of lasting long enough but not too long. Most people wouldn't want them lasting until the next nights kava session anyway.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Reverse Tolerance only applies to the drinker the first time around, regardless if you believe in it or not.
Apparently reddit has been pushing the idea that the more kava you drink the less you'll need to get the same results. I'm sure that's why we have an uptick of new users who believe that's the way it works. Many over there seem to think that once you feel the effects of kava you're in RT so there isn't a consistent definition of the unproven theory. Most likely the whole idea came from the misunderstanding that drinking kava permanently increases GABA receptor density.

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
Spending money on Cactus Kava and expecting bang for your buck was a bit optimistic! Have you tried something like Hiwa from GHK or Kavafied Supreme? Lots of other choices, N@H stone or wow, realkava.com have some good kava, anything from Root of Happiness.
I second the Stone and Wow from Nakamal at Home. I mixed the two and just barely had the energy to turn on the TV, and fell asleep in the middle of a show I really wanted to see to the end. My arms go numb also.