What's new

Kava = dries your face and makes you look old

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
I couldn't help but notice this post from @August West on another thread:

Kava dries me out. If I drink it 6 days a week, people tell me I look tired. I can see it in my eyes, and under my eyes get very dark and almost transparent. My skin becomes deflated, dehydrated, and wrinkly. I also drink way too much coffee. Within 3 days of running out, I look normal again. And the headaches, they go away as well. Kava dehydrates the heck out of me. Under my eyes are the very first spot to show dehydration. I look like a raccoon. The back of my hands are the second spot to wrinkle.
Before my 2 weeks break from kava, I also experienced these symptoms. I actually thought I looked pretty damn old for a 22-year old. And I definitely didn't like the black circles under my eyes.

I posted a thread some days ago about allergies. These symptoms could also be from my servere pollen allergy, but my anxious mind keeps telling me that it is kava. Any thoughts or experiences on this? How does your face look when you consume kava on an everyday basis?

exit stage left
That quote was from a thread I started. I'm also experiencing allergy symptoms but I don't have a history of allergies, except for skin irritation related to heat. I drank kava every day for 6 days, and was feeling a bit sick so I stopped. I didn't notice any drying of my face or dark circles under my eyes, but nearing the end of those six days my eyes were a bit dry, and then the first day without kava they got swollen and red, itchy and sore. The doctor I saw said it was classic allergy symptoms and suggested eyedrops and gave me a steroid nasal spray. That was only yesterday afternoon, so nothing has changed yet, but if it doesn't clear up the doctor wants me to see an allergist.

I'm going to go find your allergy thread now - maybe there's something in common.

Wigman

Kava Enthusiast
Drink lots of water--lots! Get a big 40 oz nalgene bottle or something and drink a few throughout the day. It's a good habit to have, regardless of your kava consumption.

I used to be a coffee fiend, probably drank at least over a pot of it a day (way too much). I had headaches, dehydration, irritability, and some other unfortunate urinary side effects that come along with over-stimulation of the alpha-1 receptors. Yerba Mate ended up being a great substitute that helped me eliminate coffee from my daily routine.

I still love a nice cup of coffee, but I save it for special occasions and when I do have it, it's so good that it's basically a delicacy. I really appreciate it a lot more.

ETA: Cetaphil! Never did I think I would put lotion on my face daily, but it's great stuff.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
The skin from the corners of my eyes towards my sideburns gets very dry when I drink kava daily. Like alligator skin. I also drink a pot of coffee a day, at least. I take quality vitamins, and drink micronutrient supplements like the seeds/greens drink when I have it, and chia seeds. I don't eat a lot, but I feel it is rather healthy when I do.

I know kava dries me out, and all of the side effects I speak of are temporary and are most likely from dehydration alone. I generally take breaks for two reasons, and dehydration is one of them. The other is what I believe to be lethargy or daytime sleepiness due a compounding buildup of dhk/dhm, the long acting kavalactones over many nights in a row of kava drinking

KavaCat

Meow.
Every substance you put in your body, requires your liver and kidneys to use water to flush its waste products, good or bad. Drink lots of NON-CAFFEINATED fluids before, after, and during your kava sessions. Possibly some with electrolytes, like Gatorade, if you've already hit the point of dehydration. Personally, I can't even have kava for more than two or three days in a row. I don't see the point of having kava if it's going to make me feel worse. And dehydration feels terrible.

A

Adriano

I skip at least a day now, between days I drink kava, which i do only at night. It seems to build up in the system and then plays havoc on the skin (and who knows what else). But you can see and feel the effects on skin corners of eyes, lips, even inside my nose. Skipping days keeps those effects from happening for me. Plus drinking it every day to me seems the same as people who need to drink alcohol everyday. Its just not a good idea for me anyway.

Bert07

Me like da kava
I guess I'm the few who don't have any problems with skin dryness, etc. I had dry lips once or twice but that's it and it might have been caused by something else I'm thinking. Perhaps drinking 4-5 liters of water throughout the day and night plays a role in it.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
I have zombie eyes. I have never had an eye issue this severe before. I am doing some drops now. It will take a chunk of May to even think about blaming this on either kava or April.

Kimmer

Patently irritable
Gotta admit. I've never had allergies--and not sure that's what I'm going through now. But wind, sun, almost anything makes my eyes water these days. I'm sure trifocals from hell don't help

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
I just have to be clear about one thing here guys.
The only thing that keeps me from drinking kava every night are these reactions.

I see a lot of you saying it's mostly because of dehydration.
When I feel dehydrated, I feel lightheaded and thirsty as fuck, like when I wake up from a night of heavy drinking. I don't feel this way the day after kava-consumption - I actually feel pretty good - my face just looks kinda pale, tired and weird I think. But maybe this could be because of dehydration alone?

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
I guess I should try and get some electrolytes and drink more water - maybe that would do the trick. Maybe I should start drinking some healthy oils aswell, like flagseed oil every morning to livin' up my skin.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I just have to be clear about one thing here guys.
The only thing that keeps me from drinking kava every night are these reactions.

I see a lot of you saying it's mostly because of dehydration.
When I feel dehydrated, I feel lightheaded and thirsty as fuck, like when I wake up from a night of heavy drinking. I don't feel this way the day after kava-consumption - I actually feel pretty good - my face just looks kinda pale, tired and weird I think. But maybe this could be because of dehydration alone?
I think no matter how well hydrated you are, kava still does something to your skin that makes the skin look dry, but is not a simple case of not getting enough fluids.
I've found Amlactin to be a good treatment, but putting it on your face could be problematic. You definitely wouldn't want to get that stuff in your eyes.

KavaDane

If you have allergic reactions after drinking kava and you use nylons as strainers, you could try using cheesecloth instead. If you google "nylon allergy" you will see that allergy to nylon isn't uncommon. Also, since fumes from burning nylon are toxic, you can't be certain that something harmful doesn't get washed out from the nylon when you knead and pound the kava in it (nylon used for kitchen utensils is PERHAPS safe, but nylon stockings are almost certainly made from another type of nylon). I am allergic to some plastics, especially PVC (which isn't used so much in Europe any longer:happy:) . I often prepare my kava by stirring it vigorously in a shaker with water that is rather more than lukewarm. For a while I used a plastic shaker, but after a while I started getting allergic reactions. I had noticed by that time that the white plastic tumbler had turned greenish inside. Now I use a glass with a screw-on lid, and I no longer get allergic reactions when enjoying a shell or three. So instead of your girlfriend's nylons nick a pair of her sexy cotton panties and knead your kava in them.::yay2:: It's worth a try.

I am new to this forum and delighted to find so many knowledgeable kava connoisseurs that I can learn from.

Henrik

Maria

ScaryMary
Robert said
Coconut water and sweating everyday a good amount helps liven the face a bit.
And it is very true! But only when you drink plenty of it. It contains a lot of potassium wchich excess can be fatal for you. So if you don't run a marathon in harsh conditions better choose good old-fashion water.

SKIN: For guys it may sound a bit gay but mandelic acid is a fantastic deep moisturiser. It is for external use only of course. It will resurface dry skin and moisture from inside. Urea or alantoin solution works well too. To prevent loosing 'water' from moistured skin use macadamia butter or ready made Cetraben lotion.

EYES: Ringer's solution will do a great job. Eyewort gel (Euphrasia rostkoviana) poultice helps also when you smoked too much or spent all day staring at computer screen :shameshame:

Status
Not open for further replies.