What's new

Kava Economy/mileage

Do you get more mileage from a pound of heady or heavy kava?

• I can stretch heady/higher K,DHK chemotypes farther

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PapaMoi

Kava Enthusiast
:pompus::pompus:This maybe a dumb question but I figured what the heck..why not ask the experts! So here goes,
Am I correct in thinking a pound of kava would contain roughly 3.5 or so cups? In other words, how many decent kava sessions can you all get with a pound of kava? How does the heady/heaviness aspect affect how much kava you use in your sessions? I'm just gathering some data on this to satisfy my own curiosity and also to help me plan how to make the most economical use of my kava.

Thank you in advance to all who take time to respond!

PS--send good vibes my way b/c I'm out of kava till next week. Lol. Such is life! :pompus: :bookworm: ::happyshell::

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I voted for heavy kava, because if I did choose to stretch a bag, a heavy kava would be a bit more satisfying at lower doses than a heady kava.

As someone with a naturally high tolerance, which seems even higher when it comes to most heady-centric kavas, I think I 'could' drink a heady kava nearly twice as fast, to get similar effectiveness as I do with heavier or balanced Kava's.

Being that my standard dose is already a half-cup+, even with a strong heavy kava, It would be too wasteful for me to try to achieve similar satisfaction with heady ones all the time. As it is, I already go through a pound in about a week, if I stick to my usual schedule. So I usually just stick to the same dosing, whether the kava is strong/mild/heavy/heady and go through all bags in the same amount of time.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Heavy kava goes farther because it seems to be more potent but I also use less from the sheer nausea associated with escalating dosages.

verticity

I'm interested in things
A tablespoon of kava powder weighs about 8 grams. (On average)
There are 454 grams per pound, which means there are 57 tablespoons per pound of kava.
There are 16 tablespoons per cup, so you are correct, there are about 3.5 cups of kava per pound.
I use approximately 1/2 cup of kava to make a batch, so that would be 7 batches per pound. The amount I use depends mostly on how strong the kava is, not on whether it is heavy or heady. For lawena with 5% kavalactones I will need to use a lot more than a typical waka or root/stump blend with 10% kavalactones. For some very potent kavas, such as some of GHK's offerings, I can use less. However I do find that some heady kava seems to have more of a 'ceiling' effect: in other words, it takes less of it to get to a point where drinking more would cause unpleasant side effects, such as dizziness.

PapaMoi

Kava Enthusiast
I voted for heavy kava, because if I did choose to stretch a bag, a heavy kava would be a bit more satisfying at lower doses than a heady kava.

As someone with a naturally high tolerance, which seems even higher when it comes to most heady-centric kavas, I think I 'could' drink a heady kava nearly twice as fast, to get similar effectiveness as I do with heavier or balanced Kava's.

Being that my standard dose is already a half-cup+, even with a strong heavy kava, It would be too wasteful for me to try to achieve similar satisfaction with heady ones all the time. As it is, I already go through a pound in about a week, if I stick to my usual schedule. So I usually just stick to the same dosing, whether the kava is strong/mild/heavy/heady and go through all bags in the same amount of time.
I'm looking into the heavy kavas more now per your suggestion about them stretching farther. Makes sense with the fact they contain larger percentages of the double bonded kavalactones that have a longer half life.