What's new

Kava extraction with ethanol, acetone etc

babesugarbunny

Kava Enthusiast
I have been searching for a bit and the threads that touch this subject is some years old and it seemed better to start a new one.
What I can find by researching, it is possible to extract compounds (Psychoactive) from Kava with different solvents. The traditional way of preparing is something I truly enjoy, but I also find it interesting and fun to experiment with different way of consuming plants, herbs and roots. I found this article about it:

Does anyone have experience doing this? Or have you heard anything good or bad about it?
I'm thinking that it might be an interesting thing to make your own extract to add to your grog.

I hope everyone has a nice day/evening!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I have been searching for a bit and the threads that touch this subject is some years old and it seemed better to start a new one.
What I can find by researching, it is possible to extract compounds (Psychoactive) from Kava with different solvents. The traditional way of preparing is something I truly enjoy, but I also find it interesting and fun to experiment with different way of consuming plants, herbs and roots. I found this article about it:

Does anyone have experience doing this? Or have you heard anything good or bad about it?
I'm thinking that it might be an interesting thing to make your own extract to add to your grog.

I started a similar thread here, good luck!

babesugarbunny

Kava Enthusiast
I started a similar thread here, good luck!
Thank you! Seems like I found all threads about it except yours!

Zaphod

Kava Lover

I have done a homemade ethanol (everclear 190proof) extraction. I then mixed it with coconut oil and boiled off the alcohol over a couple of hours. Once boiled off I froze the coconut oil into little cubes for little cold kava cubes. Tasty, worked just fine - but not really worth the effort and given we really don't know what else alcohol extract beyond the proven safe water extraction not something I would use as an every day item. Still fun to experiment.